Disabilities

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnieee

Reaction score
Im still a bit of a newbie & last night I did a shellac on my mums nails it was fabulous experience as my mum had a stroke a few years back and is unable to control the fingers of one of her hands. This made it awkward to paint as I couldn't always hold the finger at a preferred angle, then had to be careful the fingers didn't cross over and smudge, mum held 2 fingers apart for the base coat but them when she had the good hand in the lamp we ended up putting a hoof stick between to fingers which stopped them crossing. We laughed a lot and was very relaxed about it but if course this would be different with a stranger - has anyone had any experiences like this? I've put a photo of mind finished nails I think they came out good in the end :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335949018.229299.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335949018.229299.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for sharing your lovely experience. I bet your mum loves her new nails! Nothing like a good shellacing to relax the soul :)

Not quite the same but i performed a pedicure on a new client the other week, she is currently housebound due to problems with her legs nothing too serious mind but enough that she cant be on them walking for to long. Unfortunately due to this she fell and broke her wrist a while back poor thing shes in the wars at the moment. Anywho an avid pedicure client her usual salon doesnt offer a mobile service so unfortunately her tootsies have been somewhat neglected she said. Well after finishing her pedi the other week she was delighted. I adapted the treatment to take her mobility issues in to account and she had a beautiful glossy red polish to finish. Her very dry feet looked lovely and soft and she loved the end result. So much so shes booked in again and when her wrist is better shes booked in to have a shellac mani :)

My sis is also fighting breast cancer at the moment and as she lost her hair before xmas she was feeling pretty rubbish. So i did a shellac mani and pedi and it really lifted her spirits. Not only that but we spent some lovely sister time together and gossiped like a pair of old women across the mani table :)

You say it would be different with a client hun but youd be surprised. As part of our job is also interaction having the ability to relax and make a client feel fabulous is just as important as the treatment itself and you sound like you did just that with your mum.

Love n hugs

it's all about going the extra mile isn't it.
i think if you make the effort to modify a treatment to accommodate a clients needs they appreciate it so much and you have a client for life. it may take a bit longer and you may have to be inventive but it will mean so much to that person and maybe help 'perk' them up .
life is difficult enough for a person with a disability so to be able to work around a treatment for them is wonderful. well done girls.x

I have a lovely elderly lady who has a similar problem with one of her hands.

It shakes and jerks so she has to hold it steady.

I advise her to be in a comfortable position and I then work around her - when I do the thumb for example I have to stand up to get the angle I need to pep/prep and paint.

Clients who have problems but want their treatments will be thankful to find a therapist who doesn't make them feel embarassed.

You sound like an empathetic lady and that will go a long way with your clients.

Jacqui xx

Im still a bit of a newbie & last night I did a shellac on my mums nails it was fabulous experience as my mum had a stroke a few years back and is unable to control the fingers of one of her hands. This made it awkward to paint as I couldn't always hold the finger at a preferred angle, then had to be careful the fingers didn't cross over and smudge, mum held 2 fingers apart for the base coat but them when she had the good hand in the lamp we ended up putting a hoof stick between to fingers which stopped them crossing. We laughed a lot and was very relaxed about it but if course this would be different with a stranger - has anyone had any experiences like this? I've put a photo of mind finished nails I think they came out good in the end :)

Hi

They are lovely, I bet your mum is really chufffed. I did this on a friend but it was her toes, her 2nd toe crossed over her big toe. Wow that was hard but what we do now is use the sponge nails/toe seperators. These were great and made it so much easier but we always have a laugh about it too. I find clients that have things like this normally have a laugh with you too, but I suppose you have to be careful incase they got offended. X

I have quite a few disabled clients and as already mentioned the treatment may need adapting and this may well indeed take a bit longer. Once you've seen them once though it gets better every time as you learn to adapt around their individual needs. there is no particular method I can suggest for a disabled client other than make them feel at ease and adapt your treatment to suit them. Everyone is different and if you go that extra mile in order to work around their needs you'll have a client for life.

I had a lady with parkinsons, so alot of jerky movements and shaking, but considering one hand was worse then the other a complete new set of acrylics did take me just under 2 hours

I am the other way, I'm disabled myself. I walk with problems, I can't carry much, but I have a fantastic client base, and my clients sometimes have to help me. They make a cuppa if needs be, they carry bowls of water, and answer the door when the postman comes. Ladies and gents are great and help out, I get clients who stay with me for years. I love my job, I have ladies with problems and those appointments are a real laugh, as we can both be as bad as each other.

Latest posts

Back