Disappearing decals in the bath!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hello geeks
I had a play last month with water decals for the first time. My friend wanted halloween cats on her fingers so i thought, ideal opportunity to try, so we bought them in and i applied them like this:
base, 2 coats colour, decal, 2 coats topcoat. (this is all gel polish - I use entity one colour couture)
So anyway they were great for a week. and when she came to me to show me her nails, it looked like the gel polish had been eaten away where the decal had been, another looked like it had exploded the gel polish. As this was only an experiment on a friend, it was a good way to trouble shoot. I asked her had she done anything different to what she normally does, as she has gel polish on all the time now. she said she didnt, so after a bit of research and reading other geeks experience, I deduced that I had maybe not dried it off enough and there might have been a teeny bit of surface water, which would accont for the look of "explosion" lol

Ok so moving on from that, I have just moved into a hairdressers. One of the junior stylists is a terrible nail biter and her nails are absolutely awful. She had asked me to put L&P on them, but then changed last minute and decided she would have gel polish on. So I made them really pretty for her, done a lovely blue with a sparkly blue glitter on and she was absolutely thrilled with them. A week later, and because she said they were so pretty she didnt bite them at all and was extremly proud of herself. she actually said to me, I dont want to have L&P, i want to have nails of my own. So I liek a challenge and cant wait till I can make her really proud of her own beautiful nails.

Anyway I digress........ the point of this was decals wasnt it lol. Ok so she is really into this moustache malarchy and as it is "movember" I bought in some moustache decals for her because she loves moustaches, she even has one tatooed on her finger! so anyway i prepared the nail plate, base coat, 2 colour then applied the moustache. I tried to make sure that the moustache was as dry as i could get it, but i was noticing the black transfer of the pattern was coming off when drying, so had to be really careful. I put it on the 2nd coat colour that had been cured, patted it down lightly so that no edges were sticking up, then applied 2 top coats. Now because of how short her nails are, sealng the edges is just about impossible so i just had to do the best i can. I completed all nails and she was absolutely delihted.

about 2 hours later I get a text saying "all my moustaches except 1 have come off in the bath"! Ithought it was a wind up and expected her to text back saing only joking! but no! I got her to send me a pic. the actual decal had escaped from under 2 coats of gel polish and was floating in the bath! The gel polish was still in tact! ON looking at the pic, i can see the outline of where the clear skin of the decal had been pressed onto the gel polish, but the decal was obvioulsy gone. I am completely amazed by this and just wondered if anyone else had come across this? My friend who had tried the first lot of decals only showers every day, and doesnt bath.

The only thing i can possibly think of is that because i couldnt seal the free edge, they have escaped that way. I asked her if the one finger remaining was the finger with the free edge (which i did seal) and she said yes! so frustrating. I was quite excited with these decals but not not sure if they are going to work. Ill have to try them on my own nails first.

Attachments

• moustache.jpg
    moustache.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_9658.jpg
    IMG_9658.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I don't have much of an answer, but I have found even under the ridged glaze & go the decals have managed chip off. They are a nightmare! The key is to make sure they are dry, but even then you can't be 100% :( xx

Ah im glad its not just me. I am still completely bemused by it. Problem is i found it really hard to dry completely coz the pattern started to come off. I found if you leave them to dry naturally they started to curl

I've never used them so this is just a thought, if you're putting on to the colour layer essentially this is 'wet' because of the inhibition layer, so the decal would have trouble entirely drying. Could you complete your colour layers, topcoat & wipe off the sticky layer, lightly buff to give a key for the decal to stick to, dry decal then topcoat again? Just a thought and I'd be interested to know because i'd like to get some!

I haven't used the water decals, but the stick on ones. Even with the stick on ones, the first time I used it, they started to peel off and looked exactly like the second picture you posted. The second time I tried it, I used at least three, maybe four layers of top coat and it stayed just fine.

(I applied the decals onto the inhibition layer of the second color coat -- I used Shellac Cocoa)

I have the same problem ,i have tryed putting them into the inhibition if the colour and top coat and also wipping the top coat first and it doesn't work next time I will try buffing top coat :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back