Disappointing attitude at G-Mex

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babyshakes

Reaction score
I went to G-mex today with a non-geek friend - we had tons of fun and spent lots btw.

I was at one particular stand and I happened to mention I was Creative trained - and I could not believe how happy the girl seemed to be in telling me that Creative have "ceased trading" !

Obviously I put her right - politely but very firmly. However, I find it really disappointing that some companies are so quick to badmouth their competitors given half the chance - doesn't it just makes our industry look sour faced and unprofessional?

I think it is a shame, and therefore felt I had to share!
:irked:

it is disappointing when this happens. Even when professionals do it about other professionals.

Its only done for a reason - jealously!

becki xxx

funnily enough i was gonna post about this too hun, at the OPI stand (in the massive 45 min queue to pay!!!) the girls behind me were moaning about the standing around and commenting to me about this n that, then they said shaem creative arent here, mind you rumour must be true theyve gone bust, so i set straight into my no they havent hyperion the distrubutors have gone into liquidation and the company sweet squared has taken over supplying creative to UK, oh well she said how crap is that then , dont you think thye would have made effort to be here then? i launched into speech about how busy they are setting up and making sure everything is running smoothly, and how these things are organised so far in advance etc etc, that shut em up!!

then heard girl on the till at one particular 'nails' stand blabbing on about people who are used to using solar oil, have been buying lots of this 'product' i nearly chocked on my water, the product in question is NO match for solar oil in a million years lolol, and the customer said oh yeah theyve gone bust, havent they, so yet again i jumped in with No they havent etc etc

shame, but hopefully news will spread soon about SS and everyone will know they are up and running again.

lol maybe you creative techs so have massive signs

''creative live on we love sweet squared tel: xxxxx''

I didn't find this at all,
I mentioned to a few people on different stands my current situation in what products I am using, when asked.
Im trying to think of the main one, im sure it was OPI y'know,
And the lady said to me, when I mentioned that I had converted to CND but was currently using NSI
"oh yes I heard about that, its a shame what happened"
In a concerned manner, not a sarcastic one,

I was very pleased today actually, I didnt feel pressurised once, just helped, made a lovely change, unlike shopping for clothes, when theres always shop assistants up your bum hahaha

I was very disappointed as well to have felt this attitude, I came away from the show feeling alittle flat tbh I was looking forward to just having a look and watching some amazing techs at work (which I did ) but felt 'jumped on' by 1 or 2 reps on the stands, and the vibe wasn't always ++ when I told them I was creative trained.
I do have an open mind and even though I'm more than happy with my product line and training I do still like to have a look what else is about xx

it seems a lot of human beings have the knack of loving to tread all over others when they are down ,there are those that arnt nice at all, (well i am , :lol:) and others that try help others , i just wish there were more of em , we might be a lot better off :lol:

Ive had this too, and at college have had to explain that Creative havent got bust...just hyperion. They wouldnt have it. Maybe a bit in Scratch mag or one of the industries many magazines maybe just what sweet squared need to be seen to be out there.
I found GMEX..MANCHESTER CENTRAL(as it is now) to be a bit dissapointing, I got what I went there for though.

some funny things i heard....:eek:

this gel is unique as its organic

the wonderful thing about this gel is that it contains calcium to help you nails grow

this is a soak off gel so no damage to the natural nail

it just :irked:me how these people are supposed to be educated in nails and are the first point of contact at these show and many either had pants nails on or no nails on and in terrible condition.

Whats the saying..."The show aint over till the fat lady sings...!"....i think that would shut some of these other comapnies up.....enough said:)

it just :irked:me how these people are supposed to be educated in nails and are the first point of contact at these show and many either had pants nails on or no nails on and in terrible condition.

Seriously? :eek:
I wouldn't care if I had had to build and stock up the stand the night before....breaking all my nails in the process.
My nails would be immaculate come..... Showtime!!!!!

It was very smiilar at the ABA show over here a couple weeks ago. I had the LCN girl tell me that they don't believe in acrylic for the nails as it is so bad for them and there is no acrylic in their gel. And then I watched the local chop shop banging out full sets in 30 mins with no prep and no hygeine.

How is it that these people are even allowed in???

It was very smiilar at the ABA show over here a couple weeks ago. I had the LCN girl tell me that they don't believe in acrylic for the nails as it is so bad for them and there is no acrylic in their gel. And then I watched the local chop shop banging out full sets in 30 mins with no prep and no hygeine.

How is it that these people are even allowed in???

To be honest, I think it's worse when companies with a high reputation do horrible nails.... The "chop-shops" will "fall through" anyway... I went to the show both yesterday and today. I was expecting a lot from some companies, but really, I was not impressed. Maybe it was the place and time, but at least 75% of all the demos I saw today, seamed to not be finished probably. They looked ok from some views but was lack of consistency when you looked down the barrel - the nail was not the same thickness all around the "c" at the free edge. Difficult to explain in English... Another thing I saw too often was THICK nails, both at the stress-area AND at the free edge. I very often took myself in thinking: "Aren't you going to finish-file the nail?"

I don't feel good when writing this, it's not good to "bash" others work, but in my opinion this is what I saw.

However I went to some of the seminars and it was great! I would absolutly recommend people to go there next time. A shame that people didn't show up...

C.

Seriously? :eek:
I wouldn't care if I had had to build and stock up the stand the night before....breaking all my nails in the process.
My nails would be immaculate come..... Showtime!!!!!
The only stand that i saw where everyone of the representing staff all had fantastic nails was the Ezflow stand every single one of them all had amazing sets of nails on,
except Antony of course lol, but he was knocking out some belters :hug:

I was having a nosey at one stand who was selling gel (had some bloody marvelous colours) but couldnt find anywhere if it was soak off or buff off.

There was a woman looking and choosing some pots so i asked her if she knew and i was shocked at her reply!

Firstly she said she didnt understand what i meant by buff off :eek: So i explained and she quickly added "oh i understand now, its a soak one and it doesnt ruin your nails"

I said "no enhancement be it gel or acrylic will ruin your nails if aplied and removed correctly"

She came back with "but gel lets your nails breath" :grr:

I was that shocked i grabed lou's arm and proceded to tell her what she had just said, my face must have been a picture! i was speechless lol

I cant for the life of me remember what company it was but i bet they sold to all and sundry, qualified or not!

Maybe loubylou can remember as she was looking at a product on the shelf and couldnt believe they was selling it.

I had the same thing when Star Nails went into liquidation, every tech I spoke to seemed to slag them off. I just don't see the point in arguing about things like this; this industry is such a bitchy one to be in sometimes.

I agree with all the above previous posters. I found PB a bit of an eye opener to say the least!

I was really late arriving - didn't get there til about 2.30!!! - and was amazed at how packed the place was! I could hardly breathe for people packed in like sardines in front of the stands! (Sort of wishing in hindsight that I had a particular kind of gel on my nails as at least *they'd* have been able to breathe! :eek: LOL!)

Anyhoo... I'd been particularly keen to look at the gel stands as I'm planning on taking the Brisa course as soon as I can!! I stopped at a certain coloured gel stand and was quite interested in the little spiel that the presenter was giving. They said, and this is a point I'd like some clarification on folks, that they made their clients wait 3-4 weeks (perhaps even longer!!!) for a rebalance as rebalance wasn't required as often as "the salon down the road" who doesn't let a client go past 2 weeks without a rebalance. Is it just me or is that an absolute load of goldilocks?!?! I thought that the main point of doing a rebalance was to get product to fill in the growth of nail behind the enhancement. Surely letting a coloured gel grow out for 3 or 4 weeks would mean a LOT of naked nail??? And, IMHO, surely it would look *odd* to say the least??!?!? Unfortunately I was right at the back of the sardines and wasn't close enough to be able to ask these kind of questions. Please could someone set me straight?

:hug:

To be honest, I think it's worse when companies with a high reputation do horrible nails.... The "chop-shops" will "fall through" anyway... I went to the show both yesterday and today. I was expecting a lot from some companies, but really, I was not impressed. Maybe it was the place and time, but at least 75% of all the demos I saw today, seamed to not be finished probably. They looked ok from some views but was lack of consistency when you looked down the barrel - the nail was not the same thickness all around the "c" at the free edge. Difficult to explain in English... Another thing I saw too often was THICK nails, both at the stress-area AND at the free edge. I very often took myself in thinking: "Aren't you going to finish-file the nail?"

I don't feel good when writing this, it's not good to "bash" others work, but in my opinion this is what I saw.

However I went to some of the seminars and it was great! I would absolutly recommend people to go there next time. A shame that people didn't show up...

C.

Seems to me that standards have slipped a lot! I think what with the use of home kits that you buy from Argos and just generally a lot of clients want cheap nails the standards are slowly slipping. And what with the industry not being regulated in the UK or other places it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better!

One of the best things about nail shows is the rumours and bull****e that flies (after 20 years you get used to it) ..... turn your back and grin (knowing that "you" know better".

BUT ...... in saying this, you should always go to a nail show with an open mind and a willingness to try new things (even better, soak some nails off so you can actually try some products on yourself) .

Many techs spend aaaages perfecting their own nails to show them off ....

It cracks me up, because most of the mugs have no free-edge underneath (a dead give away for a new set), not showing endurance of product/workmanship/adhesion, and/or lack of discoloration .......

In actual fact you are better off going "bald" (so to speak) so you can try different stuff, be it product, techniques or e-files, then make up your own mind based on your experience, rather than the apparent gospel of salespeople, or your original training/current supplier.

If anything this can often convince you of how good your current product is ..... it may also convince you to change.

It was the stand selling Rio kits in the small exhibition room (right next to the nail comp) that totally killed it for me.

Those girls and guys in the Nail Comp were TRUE PROFESSIONALS demonstrating fab nails, commitment and passion to the industry and to walk out and see this stand at a PROFESSIONAL show must have been laughable for them:irked:

the other thing that got me down was the amount of children and babies allowed in to the show.

It states clearly no one under the age of 16 will be admitted so what is all that about!!!!!

Latest posts

Back