Disclaimers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxlindsaymxx

Reaction score
I have seen a lot mentioned about disclaimers for pregnant people with extensions, what about colour? Or is that ok if skin tested, also now the rules and regulations are really hitting Down on colouring under 16's our salon now has a disclaimer form for parents to fill in in behalf of there child as we do already have existing clients under 16.

I'm pretty sure my boss has contacted her insurance to see if they would stand by this and they have.

What are your opinions on colouring under 16's and disclaimers?

Just looking to clear this up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a lot mentioned about disclaimers for pregnant people with extensions, what about colour? Or is that ok if skin tested, also now the rules and regulations are really hitting Down on colouring under 16's our salon now has a disclaimer form for parents to fill in in behalf of there child as we do already have existing clients under 16.

I'm pretty sure my boss has contacted her insurance to see if they would stand by this and they have.

What are your opinions on colouring under 16's and disclaimers?

Just looking to clear this up :)

Perhaps in Scotland the law differs.... My solicitor has said that a disclaimer like this isn't worth the paper it's written on....

You can't disclaim something the manufacturers tell you you must do....

Last edited by a moderator:
We spoke to our wella rep and I'm sure this was his idea :s not sure

So on your manufacturers instructions when it says not recommended for children is that them saying we don't think you should do it or DON'T,

So many people and companies say so many different things.

Do you colour under 16's?

We spoke to our wella rep and I'm sure this was his idea :s not sure

So on your manufacturers instructions when it says not recommended for children is that them saying we don't think you should do it or DON'T,

So many people and companies say so many different things.

Do you colour under 16's?

I use matrix colour and every tube is printed "not for use on under 16's"
I'd say that is a fairly clear instruction...
We no longer offer any tinting services to under 16's

Ahh, at least that is just laid out point blank, wellas only says in the instruction leaflet not recommended for use on children, and then when your rep says get a disclaimer it's quite confusing :s

Not recommended means don't basically.
Disclaimers are useless. A form to say they have had a skin test is perfectly acceptable, but one in absence of skin testing is a waste of time.
As for colouring children's hair, I do feel the eu have it backwards and it should be left for us to do and stop the use of box colours on under 16's.
I know not all salons skin test, but its more likely that they won't test with a box and are giving themselves greater risks as well as the risk of chemical burns from incorrect use of product.
I don't colour under 16's with the exception of my cousin's daughter who has been having her hair bright pink crazy colour in the summer holidays from the age of 2 or 3. Xoxo

It's not worth it these days... So many people out there just looking for easy money in suing company's & small businesses.
My insurance doesn't cover me colouring under 16's. x

I understand, I don't know where I stand on it tho. If my salon and the rep/insurance (again not sure) agree then when they client chooses to sue someone is it me or the salon? I got told once that its whoever the client wishes to sue

Matrix COLORINSIDER and Wella Koleston both say "This product is not intended for use on persons under the age of 16."

Osmo Ikon says "Do not use on children. This product is not intended for use on people below 16 years of age."

I think it's pretty clear that the manufacturers do not endorse using the products on those under sixteen, and if you do so, you could possibly run afoul of your insurance.

I know but if my salon chooses to do so do I have a right to say no?

If you're employed then the salon is responsible and they will be the defendants to any action.

Also, unless you're a closet millionaire, the client is unlikely to want to sue the stylist ;-)

If you're self employed/rent a chair then you have to take responsibility for your actions and the salon cannot require you to carry out a service you don't want to do.

If your boss asks you to undertake a service you feel is wrong, you should explain why.

Some salon owners believe everything their reps tell them (eg Moroccan oil reps advising adding their product to tints).

Yes, it probably works fine BUT if the colour went wrong, the insurance company wouldn't pay your legal costs as they will say you didn't follow the (tint) manufacturers instructions. Even if you know the Moroccan oil didn't cause the damage! Eg scalp burns.

Hope this helps. X

Yea it doe thank you, I'm not a closet millionaire that's why I was stressed lol!

If you're employed then the salon is responsible and they will be the defendants to any action.

Also, unless you're a closet millionaire, the client is unlikely to want to sue the stylist ;-)

If you're self employed/rent a chair then you have to take responsibility for your actions and the salon cannot require you to carry out a service you don't want to do.

If your boss asks you to undertake a service you feel is wrong, you should explain why.

Some salon owners believe everything their reps tell them (eg Moroccan oil reps advising adding their product to tints).

Yes, it probably works fine BUT if the colour went wrong, the insurance company wouldn't pay your legal costs as they will say you didn't follow the (tint) manufacturers instructions. Even if you know the Moroccan oil didn't cause the damage! Eg scalp burns.

Hope this helps. X

Also if you are self employed you would need your own insurance as you wouldn't be covered by the salons as this only covers employees ;-)

Latest posts

Back