Discount for friends/family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayleighnailsx

Reaction score
Just wondering really do many of you lovely geeks give discount to your family and friends and how much really. And where to stop im finding myself thinkin oh its my friends mum il give her a discount etc but where does it stop(after all we have to make a living) but then if they are having it done they are promoting your work! Xxx

This is a difficult one! My sister come every two weeks and always insists on paying, but I don't charge full price. My ex mum in law has her nails done every now and then and I don't charge as she helps out with the kids loads. Friends, i generally take off 25%, they are happy with that. And they spread the word and reccomend me. :) x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I had to get really strict on this recently as I found I was giving far too many people a discount!

My mother and brother get free treatments which is once every few months, and my friend that cuts my hair for free gets one treatment at cost price in return and 10% off if she wants any more.

You have to be strict as they will take the mick. When I first started my training I used to give this one 'friend' a full body massage and a facial every week, then I did every treatment I trained in on her all for free. I asked her for £2 when I did some extensions on her and I never got it. Needless to say we are no longer friends!

I offer a discount to family of 25%. I do not offer any to friends as you say where does it stop? I also offer a 10% discount to students and over 60's. Hope this helps.

Fab thanks girls i need to put my foot down !! Xxx

i do my mum for free and thats it as like you say where does it end!!

I'm having the same trouble with my gran she comes every 2 weeks to have an infill with shellac over it or a new set for wait for it......£10 :-0 she used to give £10 when I just done shellac but now that do an acrylic infill/new set & shellac she still pays the same & never asks if I need extra

Suggestion of how to address this would be great z

I give a small discount to friends but would never dream of charging family anything! They have all done so much for me over the years I personally feel I would be insulting them if I made them pay me.

Obviously if it was a relation that I wasn't close to it would be different but immediate family, never. My partners mum has regular treatments with me and wanted to pay but I suggested a babysitting swap instead :)

Hi

I have my mom, sister and my best friend who I dont ask for payment for although they always give me something although I really dont ask!

I do a small discount for acouple of friends who have helped me when practising

xx

I'm having the same trouble with my gran she comes every 2 weeks to have an infill with shellac over it or a new set for wait for it......£10 :-0 she used to give £10 when I just done shellac but now that do an acrylic infill/new set & shellac she still pays the same & never asks if I need extra

Suggestion of how to address this would be great z

You can't charge your Gran? Surely not?!

Family are fee for me. I have one close friend who picks my kids up from school and feeds them when I need to work, so she's free (only has a treatment about 4 times a year) and I have another friend who let's us use her villa in Cyprus for free, she's obviously free too (also, probably only 4 times a year) That's it. No one else.

Have to say I agree with mobile manicure. I know it can be difficult to draw the line but mums grans sisters and special aunties free x

Family are free for me too my nana always gives me something for it but I'd never expect it or ask!! The amount my family have done for me! Even just when I was younger taking me to friends houses or cooking dinner etc so what is a bit of time and product? Just the look on their face when they have got feb nails is enough :) for friends I give a bit of discount :) x

I dont charge my family for their treatments but they always buy me extra special christmas presents to show their appreciation, friends get 25% discount.

i dont charge my mum, and my best friend gets hers half price. other than that i dont discount anybody else. if i had family closer id probs discount them, and if my wee brothers girlfriend became a client id discount her lashes as theyve been together ages.

Sorry I should have said my issue is not really how much she gives me it's more the about the number of treatments I do and she doesnt look after them ;-(

I find the more you give people the more take, she is very demanding please don't think I'm being tight I have to figure out where to draw the line somewhere

How do you all handle family booking in appointments? Do u have a set day(s) or times they can come or just book then in whenever?

I suppose it depends on whether you are mobile, a one man/woman band or have a salon/clinic with 10 staff really. If you have lots of outgoings then you're probably more reluctant to give discounts. But I wouldn't treat family the same as anyone else and it depends on how you are with family. Sme family are great and help you on your way up but some kick you when you are down, just same as friends I suppose.

Also some do take the Michael. The way I see it if they will go to another salon and pay full price they should offer to pay you something then it's down to you to accept or decline. I don't like it when people expect something for nothing it should always be a bonus and appreciated.

Also I'd only book them in when it's quiet. If they are free or discounted they'll have to come in when it's quiet. Maybe harsh but I have salaries and rent and bills to pay.......

I work from home so I set time aside for family when I have no other clients but if a client wants to book in then im afraid my family have to wait until im available, they appreciate that if they dont pay then they fit in with me.

The only family that have treatments are my mum, mum in law, sister and niece and they really dont take advantage of me at all thats why I do it for free.

Sorry I should have said my issue is not really how much she gives me it's more the about the number of treatments I do and she doesnt look after them ;-(

I find the more you give people the more take, she is very demanding please don't think I'm being tight I have to figure out where to draw the line somewhere

How do you all handle family booking in appointments? Do u have a set day(s) or times they can come or just book then in whenever?

I'd tell them to come in when it's quiet really and. It take a booking in advance....

Well I think £10 is fair. If my family were not looking after them the most I would ask is to cover the product used but even then I wouldn't tbh. Each to their own but I just think with family it all equals out in the end and life's to short to worry about it.
Its up to you what you think is right I'm just saying how I do it. :) x

I tend to do family/friends on my day off, either at mine or their homes, that way it doesn't intrude on my salon work and clients, and it becomes more of a social thing too :)

Latest posts

Back