Discount & friends/family?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Junkie

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Just wondered what sort of discount do you offer friends? One of my close friends has asked for a full set of nails and I would happily do it half price for her but have in the past offered another friend cheap treatments for waxing and she books in all the time! I only work part time and my slots arer precious to me & my clients as I'm busy and as awful as this may sound, I would rather earn the full amount!
My hairdresser friend refuses to do family & friends for this reason as she prefers to keep it separate. She also thinks if problems occur it doesn't cause fallouts this way.

What are your views?

Last edited by a moderator:
I trade services with my very best friend- I do her nails, and she babysits for me and drives me places lol.

My others friends pay full price- if they truly are your friends they should understand that you are running a business and making a living- and my friends do x

Hi geeks,

Just wondered what sort of discount u offer friends? One of my close friends has asked 4 a full set of nails and I would happily do it half price 4 her but have in the past offered another friend cheap treatments 4 waxing and she books in all the time! I only wrk part time and my slots r precious 2 me & my clients as I'm busy and as awful as this may sound, I would rather earn the full amount!
My hairdresser friend refuses 2 do family & friends 4 this reason as she prefers 2 keep it separate. She also thinks if problems occur it doesn't cause fallouts this way.

What r ur views?
It's my business, it puts the food on my table - they pay the prices I charge everyone.

None of them complain, if they do, sod 'em they can go somewhere else.

I was wondering this, as I'm just starting out too and it's a touchy subject sometimes! I think my best best friend, my mum and mother in law I would do for very cheap or free as a treat as these people have done an awful lot for me! But everyone else I think I will charge full price, maybe a small discount for close friends? But then where do you stop?

I know it's so hard! I once charged my friends mum £10 for a manicure and drove to her house to do it. 3 months later she was still booking in every 2 wks and i felt so awkward saying I was gonna have to charge full price so in the end I swapped my night and it was inconvenient for her. I was like phew!

When I first trained (many years ago) my Backscratchers trainer said "Never do mates rates or anyone for free". It was one of the best pieces of advice anyone ever gave me.

When you first start your business you are grateful for mates and family for practice, but as you build up you resent having to lose income during their time slots.

Hi hun

my mum and sister get mates rates and its always done at my convenience time wise. with friends i charge full price but say give them nail art/crystals/rockstar upgrade free. they feel like theyve got some money off and i feel like ive given them a little something to advertise my work. i always get them to come to my house as well so no travelling cost so to be honest i actually come out with pretty much the same profit even given the nail art etc free.

if i'm practicing or perfecting something i dont charge but they fully understand that its a one off and would and have never asked for a freebie.

hth xxx

I struggle with this as well. As I am still quite new to the industry, I often undervalue myself and my time. I work in another industry which I get a lot of cliental from so I took this into consideration when doing my prices. I increased my prices by $5 to be able to give a discount of $5...(aussie dollars)

Trading services like x fee x suggested is a great idea. Make sure you cover your product at least if you do this!! :)

While I'm training I'm doing all services for free as its helping my training, but where I used to work it was 10% off for immediate family (parents, brother/sister, partner, children) but friends had to pay the full amount and I think thats the best thing to do!:)x

I dont charge my mum & daughter but every one else full price. Im running a business not a charity lol xx

When I first trained (many years ago) my Backscratchers trainer said "Never do mates rates or anyone for free". It was one of the best pieces of advice anyone ever gave me.

When you first start your business you are grateful for mates and family for practice, but as you build up you resent having to lose income during their time slots.

Yeah ur right. I've worked for myself for 3yrs now have always hated the 'charge' conversation with friends. Maybe I should just charge full to stop any confusion!! :)

Thanks 4 all ur views on this :)

I dont charge my mum & daughter but every one else full price. Im running a business not a charity lol xx

I never charge my mum or sister it's mainly friends that I struggle with. It's not like they do any sort of trade 2 help back with anything! Maybe I need 2 stop been so soft! Lol x

I've messed this up with a friend of mine! When I started doing nails again after years out of the industry, I told 2 friends that I'd do their Gelicure for £10 as they both have lovely long nails and are school Mum's and would be good advertising for me. One of them only comes when I offer, never rings to book and always asks me which colour I want to use. I don't usually charge her anything.
The other friend now books every 2 weeks and I end up doing her on a Friday evening as I only work Tuesday and Thursday evenings and don't want to use up a precious slot. She still only pays me £10 and to be honest I do feel a bit resentful now.
I have a full time job as well as doing nails and have 3 young children as well. Friday is my only evening for relaxing as I go running on Mondays and Wednesdays and although I like to see her and have a chat, I keep thinking she should really be paying me the proper price now. I don't really know how to approach it and feel bad.
The other thing is that I said I'd do it in the beginning as I thought she would get me some business from Mum's at school but she hasn't got me any and one of her firend's actually goes to someone else from their school for Shellac!

I do my Mum for free too, but that goes without saying.

As most here, I do my mum and sister for free as they've helped alot financially in the beginning, but it's at my convenience. Everyone else pays full price apart from 2 of my massage clients who I give £5 discount to as they were my practice in the beginning. I have put their price up as I put my other prices up and they have accepted it without grumble, and now I wish I charged them full but it's only a fiver off which I think is more than reasonable. You have to do what you have to do in the beginning, but don't sell yourself short. X

As a lot of people on here I do my Mum and Sister foc at my convenience but charge everyone else full price. I have a couple of close friends who have been really good to me whilst starting up and I gave them a half hour facial as a treat after Christmas in January. Xx

My mother, my father, my husband, my son and his girl are the only ones who get services for free. Everyone else pays. As you can see, when you extend someone a courtesy they expect that courtesy to continue... especially friends and family.

When you're starting out and trying to build a client base, it's understandable that you're giving discount rates, but you have to be upfront and let these people know that this is just a temporary rate. You must tell them, "This rate will apply for ____ months after which I will charge $____ for these services." That way they know this rate is temporary...no surprises and everything is laid out on the table...especially when dealing with friends and family.

I've messed this up with a friend of mine! When I started doing nails again after years out of the industry, I told 2 friends that I'd do their Gelicure for £10 as they both have lovely long nails and are school Mum's and would be good advertising for me. One of them only comes when I offer, never rings to book and always asks me which colour I want to use. I don't usually charge her anything.
The other friend now books every 2 weeks and I end up doing her on a Friday evening as I only work Tuesday and Thursday evenings and don't want to use up a precious slot. She still only pays me £10 and to be honest I do feel a bit resentful now.
I have a full time job as well as doing nails and have 3 young children as well. Friday is my only evening for relaxing as I go running on Mondays and Wednesdays and although I like to see her and have a chat, I keep thinking she should really be paying me the proper price now. I don't really know how to approach it and feel bad.
The other thing is that I said I'd do it in the beginning as I thought she would get me some business from Mum's at school but she hasn't got me any and one of her firend's actually goes to someone else from their school for Shellac!

I do my Mum for free too, but that goes without saying.

How long have u been doing this 4?!
Feel ur pain on the awkwardness on saying something. What about saying ur getting 2 busy and having 2 do clients on a Friday for the time being?

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I was beginning to feel like a real tight arse!!! Lol x

As a lot of people on here I do my Mum and Sister foc at my convenience but charge everyone else full price. I have a couple of close friends who have been really good to me whilst starting up and I gave them a half hour facial as a treat after Christmas in January. Xx

That's a good idea. My friend got married last yr and had her hen night at my place so I closed the afternoon and didn't charge any of the fellow hens 4 a file and polish. As much as I love nails I can say mine looked crap by the time we got to the pub!! Every1 had a great afternoon exept the fellow bridesmaid (me!) who wanted pampering 2 :-(

Must stop being 2 generous!

I have always said 10% off for friends and 20% off for family (step mum, sister in law etc. I don't charge my mum!)

Most of my friends though tell me not to give them a discount now. I always say 10%, but then they will still give me the extra anyway.

I only do half price treats if it's a good friend and I know they wouldn't be able to afford it- such as a body wrap or a treat like that.

If friends are fishing for cheapies or freebies, especially if you get booked up at full price, then they are not really being a friend to you.

Love the swapping idea- think I might try that if I need a favour!!:)

I usually give my close friends a little bit of discount, few quid usually. I'd do my mum free of charge but she insists in paying me full price for her Shellac every time!!

Latest posts

Back