Discount Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St311ar

Reaction score
How do you deal with the discount salons in your area? I am often frustrated at the fact that I train in a product line, i.e. OPI Axxium SOGP, Gelish, shellac and the discount salons just go buy the product with no training and provide a crappy service! I go undercover once in a while and the last time I went the lady at "beauty nails" attempted to use Gelish for a manicure and it came out horrendous! Obviously she had no idea how to use the product etc. The gel polish was all over my cuticles and she had no problem charging $35 dollars and letting me leave like that! Why the heck don't companies make it mandatory to train with the product before they can purchase it? And I don't mean one tech in the salon but EVER tech in the salon! It just frustrates me sooooo much!

How do you deal with the discount salons in your area? I am often frustrated at the fact that I train in a product line, i.e. OPI Axxium SOGP, Gelish, shellac and the discount salons just go buy the product with no training and provide a crappy service! I go undercover once in a while and the last time I went the lady at "beauty nails" attempted to use Gelish for a manicure and it came out horrendous! Obviously she had no idea how to use the product etc. The gel polish was all over my cuticles and she had no problem charging $35 dollars and letting me leave like that! Why the heck don't companies make it mandatory to train with the product before they can purchase it? And I don't mean one tech in the salon but EVER tech in the salon! It just frustrates me sooooo much!

We have the same problem in the UK ... there are only a handfull of distributors (not even that many actually) who even ask for qualifications in order for people to purchase from them. Shocking. I would never support such a distributor but as long as people do, it will go on ... techs are just slitting their own throats by doing business with them but until people insist that they will not buy from such ones it will carry on carrying on. EVERY tech should demand of their distributor whether or not they make having a business and education credentials a qualification to buy.

It's pretty easy to tell as if you can go onto a website and buy without showing your own qualifications, then so can everyone else.

How do I deal with discount salons? Simple, I ignore them :D You get what you pay for, eventually people will realise that.

Two of my clients, are former (cheap salon) clients. They could quite clearly see the condition their nails had been left in, once they eventually broke the cycle and came to me.

Don't waste sleep or effort on them :D

Thank you for your responses! I am going to speak with these companies at the ISSE show!

How do I deal with discount salons? Simple, I ignore them :D You get what you pay for, eventually people will realise that.

Two of my clients, are former (cheap salon) clients. They could quite clearly see the condition their nails had been left in, once they eventually broke the cycle and came to me.

Don't waste sleep or effort on them :D

Can't say I agree with the "eventually people will realise that " part of the post.

Discount salons will not be going away. Some may realise hopefully, but many more will want their services.

I agree as far as ones own business is concerned, ignore them.

The people I know who use the salons, aren't bothered about the damage. They just want nails cheaply and more importantly quickly! I take 1.5 hours to do a set, they take half an hour so I'm told....I can't compete with that, but it sure makes me feel slow!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back