Disheartened with this dog eat dog industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's upsetting because afterwards I feel ashamed of myself for falling into traps- can you imagine working for free for three days and then realising that they were just short staffed because they had large hen parties booked in?
I feel almost embarrassed to admit to everyone that they didn't pay me!

In fact my whole experience is embarrassing to admit to you all lol because I feel taken for a fool, in my desire and passion for this industry I've made many mistakes along the way!

Don't be embarrassed. You won't be the first or last person for a so called employer to take drastic advantage of in this industry.

It's the people who treat people like this who should be embarrassed and ashamed and more should be done to stop these people getting away with it. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. If you're an honest person looking for honest work then what matters is that you got out of there sooner rather than later.

Don't be embarrassed. You won't be the first or last person for a so called employer to take drastic advantage of in this industry.

It's the people who treat people like this who should be embarrassed and ashamed and more should be done to stop these people getting away with it. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. If you're an honest person looking for honest work then what matters is that you got out of there sooner rather than later.

I know it is and I'm sure something better is on it's way and then I will realise why all this bad stuff happened!

I hope by my posts you are all getting to know me a bit by now and you realise I am just an honest person looking for honest work doing what I love! (Even if I am a bit soft sometimes lol)

Thank you for your support!
Xxx

Come on now hazeleyes. .. man up! . No time for emotion in business. Xxx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Come on now hazeleyes. .. man up! . No time for emotion in business. Xxx

Virtues I think I needed a wake up and smell the coffee moment! A proverbial slap round the chops!!!

From now on..... I have an iron fist and a heart of stone! 😜😜😜😜😜

Virtues I think I needed a wake up and smell the coffee moment! A proverbial slap round the chops!!!

From now on..... I have an iron fist and a heart of stone! 😜😜😜😜😜

Ha ha. . Now we're getting somewhere. .. you do make me laugh. X

It's tough out there. That's why I've been here in the UK nearly 3 years now and still haven't found a stable place to work from, and have to be mobile still (even though it's not ideal for me). It's not pretty. People will try to jip you off, rip you off, blur the lines between employed and self-employed, and sometimes- just give off a feeling of uncertainty. You just have to go in and make it clear what you want. If they can't meet you even half-way, walk away and start the search again. I love what I do too much to give it up. If it means I have to haul all my stuff around like a turtle just to do it, then that's what I'm gonna do. Good luck with your search. xx

I've recently been working on assertiveness. Today my boss used a 1:1 session to have a go about something he didn't like me doing a whole week ago. I took a breath and told him not to do that and he should mention things at the time, not come back a week later and attack. I also said he's aggressive, loud and hard to be with at times. Yay me!! A small win. I feel like a new person cos I bloody well stuck up for myself!
Try it, you'll like it x

Just wanted to add another slant on your situation.
In reverse, as a salon owner of 26 years, I have experienced a whole catalogue of knocks ranging from unpleasant to downright criminal:eek::eek:

I have very definitely grown wiser and apart from a few experiences spread over a few yrs, I haven't allowed myself to be in those situations again.

As a rule, I now expect my team members to move on at some point, no matter what I do for them. People will quite rightly do what is right for themselves.

I make sure I continually build my team to ensure we don't suffer unduly when someone moves on, enevitably with their clients :rolleyes:

If you work within a larger team, you will gain experience as the previous poster suggested, then maybe going solo could be your next move.

Btw, my mission statement is...
Work with passion and integrity.
There is no excuse for not succeeding but no need to climb over others on your way up.

I've recently been working on assertiveness. Today my boss used a 1:1 session to have a go about something he didn't like me doing a whole week ago. I took a breath and told him not to do that and he should mention things at the time, not come back a week later and attack. I also said he's aggressive, loud and hard to be with at times. Yay me!! A small win. I feel like a new person cos I bloody well stuck up for myself!
Try it, you'll like it x

Well done you!!! How did he receive it?!

It's tough out there. That's why I've been here in the UK nearly 3 years now and still haven't found a stable place to work from, and have to be mobile still (even though it's not ideal for me). It's not pretty. People will try to jip you off, rip you off, blur the lines between employed and self-employed, and sometimes- just give off a feeling of uncertainty. You just have to go in and make it clear what you want. If they can't meet you even half-way, walk away and start the search again. I love what I do too much to give it up. If it means I have to haul all my stuff around like a turtle just to do it, then that's what I'm gonna do. Good luck with your search. xx

And you too , Yes I know the blurred self employed/employed trick experienced that one too! Companies who want to avoid the costs of paying employers tax and NI but want you to grind for them like a dog I forgot to mention that one lol!! guess I'm learning that if it's not right- don't do it regardless of how attractive it first appears if my gut feeling is that it's wrong, it probably is!!

Just wanted to add another slant on your situation.
In reverse, as a salon owner of 26 years, I have experienced a whole catalogue of knocks ranging from unpleasant to downright criminal:eek::eek:

I have very definitely grown wiser and apart from a few experiences spread over a few yrs, I haven't allowed myself to be in those situations again.

As a rule, I now expect my team members to move on at some point, no matter what I do for them. People will quite rightly do what is right for themselves.

I make sure I continually build my team to ensure we don't suffer unduly when someone moves on, enevitably with their clients :rolleyes:

If you work within a larger team, you will gain experience as the previous poster suggested, then maybe going solo could be your next move.

Btw, my mission statement is...
Work with passion and integrity.
There is no excuse for not succeeding but no need to climb over others on your way up.

I really like your mission statement, so apt for our industry- if only we all worked like that! Yes I totally hear your different side if the story but I might say honestly thinking about it, I'm the kind if employee who would worry about leaving their employer to move on to better things as I wouldn't want to leave them in the lurch or poach clients..... Sigh I guess that's not right either is it lol

Well done you!!! How did he receive it?!

He looked taken aback but he admitted that I was right. He was a bit sulky for an hour or two but he got over it :)
My assertiveness reading etc is looking like time well spent x

He looked taken aback but he admitted that I was right. He was a bit sulky for an hour or two but he got over it :)
My assertiveness reading etc is looking like time well spent x

Well done then. Sometimes people just need to be told to change!xxx

Having done my time in salons where the girls were backstabbing and total bitches to each other, clients and me, I decided to go it alone.

Just rent a space, pay your rent come rain or shine, sit there from opening to closing whether you have clients or not, smile, go the extra mile and be positive and things will change for you.

Once you find a space, don't get involved with salon politics. Be friendly but keep your distance from the rest of the staff or you'll be dragged into all sorts of trouble.

Give it a full 6 months and if you're still not making a decent lining then give it up. At least you can say that tried. x

If you did not agree to volunteer your services for free it is illegal for you not to be paid if you were fulfilling a position and doing duties of that role. I know it recently happened to me! I managed to get all monies owed by sending a few facts via email and a polite note saying I would not be taken advantage of this way!'

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

If you did not agree to volunteer your services for free it is illegal for you not to be paid if you were fulfilling a position and doing duties of that role. I know it recently happened to me! I managed to get all monies owed by sending a few facts via email and a polite note saying I would not be taken advantage of this way!'

I did have email correspondence and I said to them at the end of the last day when they promised to call me in the week with more hours and I didn't hear anything as I had worked all day from 10-6 with no break. I said I was confused and that I felt I should be paid and they said it's their policy to trial staff before offering them a job and they were going to offer me a job but seeing as I had questioned them they wouldn't be anymore!!!!!

A trial should be paid unless you are either on job seekers and it has been arranged to be a trial whilst on benefits. I would so not let this go ,you can look all this up on government websites. They can investigate for you if you can't resolve it, as soon as I mentioned this to the employee the money was in my bank. I was also told I would be paid them in an email told he was sorry at the confusion but work trials are voluntary! You are well within your rights to be paid, imagine how much you earned them. Do you still have email? X

Employer I mean lol x

Having done my time in salons where the girls were backstabbing and total bitches to each other, clients and me, I decided to go it alone.

Just rent a space, pay your rent come rain or shine, sit there from opening to closing whether you have clients or not, smile, go the extra mile and be positive and things will change for you.

Once you find a space, don't get involved with salon politics. Be friendly but keep your distance from the rest of the staff or you'll be dragged into all sorts of trouble.

Give it a full 6 months and if you're still not making a decent lining then give it up. At least you can say that tried. x

Politics in the work place are awful I know it's every where! I've experienced it myself before and I hate it! Good advice though and I really do hope I do make a decent living after 6 months I would hate to have to give it up!

A trial should be paid unless you are either on job seekers and it has been arranged to be a trial whilst on benefits. I would so not let this go ,you can look all this up on government websites. They can investigate for you if you can't resolve it, as soon as I mentioned this to the employee the money was in my bank. I was also told I would be paid them in an email told he was sorry at the confusion but work trials are voluntary! You are well within your rights to be paid, imagine how much you earned them. Do you still have email? X

Yes it's in my inbox still- where can I look- .gov websites,

Latest posts

Back