Disheartened - worst two days ever for gel nail extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Thanks for advice previously given, but whereas all other aspects of my beauty business is going great, yesterday's client lost three gel nails/tip within 24hours and another client lost one in the past 8 hours, possibly more by tomorrow.
I'm so close to leaving gel nails for the nail technicians in nearby salons.
One detached when tapped, one detached when caught on a bag and the thumb fell off after another light encounter. As for the other client, she's asked for the other nine to be removed and just wants gel polish on own nails.
Then, I have other clients that last for upto three weeks. My own seem to last the longest.
I've acted on previous SalonGeek advice, but just as one issue seems sorted, another arises.
Despair...
I was trained using the Gelish protocol, and chose to use CND and IBD products, using online resources to further refine skills. In the past three months, I've had four, possibly five clients that have required free of charge repairs/replacements etc., and thirteen repeat customers that seem to have no issues.
I can't seem to find a pattern for the issues and I'm losing confidence in my ability.
Maybe, I should attend another course; preferably in the County Durham region.
Thanks for reading & thanks in anticipation for any guidance. X

Just been reading over my notes for college/nail courses and read 'When applying tips, it is not necessary to temporarily dehydrate the nail plate at this point of the service. Adhesives have superior bonding properties in the presence of moisture, so dehydrating the nail plate could actually reduce adhesion.'... is this why they're dropping/pinging off?

Last edited:
Dont want to read and run but off to bed now and my reply is too long for the moment so I will do it as soon as I have a spare min

DONT give up . Will respond to this as soon as I can but at earliest will be Sunday . Someone else may come along in the meantime
x

I'll be patient. Thanks

The main reasons for newly trained Techs suffering from breakages and 'pinging off' specifically with gel nails is insufficient product at stress area. Gel is self levelling so will naturally create a flat nail, flat nails have no strength, its needs to be thicker across the stress area. This co-incidentally is where the tip is adhered so new techs immediately blame the tips, adhesive or blending - check your apex placement and build, and spine placement.

'Pinging off' - two types....if its the whole nail then check prep, if its just the tip then the above applies

The main reasons for newly trained Techs suffering from breakages and 'pinging off' specifically with gel nails is insufficient product at stress area. Gel is self levelling so will naturally create a flat nail, flat nails have no strength, its needs to be thicker across the stress area. This co-incidentally is where the tip is adhered so new techs immediately blame the tips, adhesive or blending - check your apex placement and build, and spine placement.

'Pinging off' - two types....if its the whole nail then check prep, if its just the tip then the above applies

Thank you for responding; I'm confident that my apex placement is improving, but concede that my prep needs refining. I'll review my notes and practise on willing family members this weekend, or when they come to the salon, where I rent a chair and room.

Just please don't give up. I made that mistake, now 10 years later I am starting all over again. You will get there. Kx

Latest posts

Back