Disillusioned with the state of the Nail Industry? - here's one for us ALL to debate!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is because there are no uniform guildlines even is US each stat is govern differently

This is the first time I've posted on here. After reading thru most of the posts (not all sorry) I agree with what Sassy was saying and with most of the replies.

The one thing that I didn't see, and please forgive me if I missed it, as far as education, how many nail techs educate their clients? I'm not talking about educating them about NSS but about the products that the nail tech is using, upkeep, the care the client does at home etc. That's one thing that was instilled in me when I went to school to learn how "to do nails". I have been a Nail Technician for 13 years, I don't "do nails". I don't use that term any more as it demeans my profession.

As a recent transplant to the UK from the states where NSS are extremely abundant, they are not going anywhere. They will always be there for the clients who want a quick fix or don't want to pay for quality. When I had my salon, I didn't view them as competition because I trained my clients in after care and the like, and I knew they weren't competition because I'm good at what I do. Every time I had a cost of inflation increase, I would always lose a few and that was fine with me. I want people who are serious about their appearance and are willing to pay for quality work.

I've been concerned about the lack of enforcement in this industry in this country for a long time. Somebody said earlier on here that nothing could be done to change enforced regulations. I disagree. In the states, each state has their own rules and regs but over all they are basically the same. Each state has an agency to oversee and TEST nail techs to make sure they are somewhat competant before licensing them. It's not foolproof but it's something and it helps weed out a lot. I know this industry is hard to regulate but it needs to start somewhere. How do you cut down a forest? One tree at a time.

Now that I am on the manufacturing distribution end of the industry, while yes I want to make a living, I also want to sell my products to qualified nail techs and continue education for them as well as myself. If I can make a difference to even one nail tech then it's all worth it. By the time I had 4 years under my belt as a nail tech, I thought I knew it all and I was the greatest nail tech ever! I found out different. If there's one thing that I've learned is to REMAIN TEACHABLE!!!!!! Once I opened my mind to new things and new ideas my business increased. This industry is constantly changing and we need to be willing and ready to accept those changes...or get left behind.

We CAN do something about what's going on here. It's going to take diligence but in the end, if regulations and not just suggestions get put in place, it'll be worth it to those nail techs that view this profession as more than just "doing nails".

Hello from down under..........
We have the same issues here.....but I can honestly tell you that there are people out there that will and do pay for quality.
I am a CND Educator as well as a salon owner, I have 5 nail techs and we do bloody good nails!! We are fully booked every day. Yes we have the NSS here too, but they aren't always cheaper. But we have educated our clients and they are spreading the word.
Just keep confident in what you do, NEVER under sell yourself and the service you provide and it will pay off. Have confidence in what you do, concentrate on your own business and stop worrying about others'. Its is all about EDUCATION Education education..of yourself, your staff, and most importantly of your clients.
Maintain your professionalism, continue to provide brilliant servcie, stick to your pricing structure and the right kind of client will stick with you!!!!!

I have to blame the insurance companies - and the nail industry itself to some extent.

There is no clear-cut route for someone wanting a career in nails. If we weren't able to get insurance without such-and-such a qualification, we would all know what we had to do. How many threads have there been on here asking "which training should I do"? (I've asked it myself too)

And if there weren't adverts in both trade and non-trade mags saying you can be earning ££££££'s in next to no time, would-be techs would be more committed from the start.

No-one's sure which is the best way to go, therefore can you blame them for choosing the quickest option?

I trained with Star Nails (not very good) and Bio Sculpture, not really realising there was more to it than a couple of days of learning. It was only when I found this site that I realised there is more thorough and extensive training to be had - and that I need to keep updating that training. But what if you don't find this site??

I didn't struggle to get insurance, and even though I always carry my certificates with me, no-one has ever asked to look at them.

Nail Chick: I think your reply is really good, the points you have raised are really fair. totally agree,. x

Wow guys!
I have just came across this thread and I managed to read up to the page #13 :o
I must say that I'm very impressed with all the posters and their professional attitude towards this debate.
I totally agree with many points made here and I have to first finish reading before I can add anything.

I have just written a MASSIVE reply and lost it which added to my rage lol so here goes the short(er) version ...

I had the chance to take on a spot in a hairdressers to be told I would need to slash my prices if I wanted to bring in the business. I thought this would be fine for the first month until people got used to me being there but the owner wanted the prices slashed permanently. I was actually stupid enough to be considering it as she rhymed off the prices of enhancements in the local area ... and then I came to my senses! I would rather be quiet than underpricing my services. I don't think too highly of those who advertise full sets of enhancements for £10 or £15 so I would rather not put myself in that bracket!

Recently there seems to have been a surge in non standard salons opening up in my city and if I'm honest, it has had an impact on hard working techs who DO have the qualifications to do the job. I do try to educate my clients on how to care for their nails and why it's important and if I'm honest I do also give them explanations of what MMA is and why it is used by NSS's and why it shouldn't be used but some people do still love a bargain.

A friend of mine recently asked me to do her infills as she didn't have time to go to a salon. This friend uses a very reputable salon to get her enhancements and pays nearly £50 per set. While attempting to carry out her appointment it became apparently that what she had on her fingers was MMA!!! I couldn't believe it. This friend of mine is a lawyer so she aint daft and I spent quite a bit of time explaining MMA to her and her answer was that as long as her nails stay in place with no lifting for 4-5 weeks then she is happy with this. And because they don't lift she can just paint them if they get too long and she can't get an appointment. I was amazed at her ignorance and also the salons! This is a popular place so when we use the correct products, do everything right and the products begin to lift after 2-3 weeks then what does the client think? They compare us to this popular salon and think we aren't as good as the girls in the shop - this isn't necessarily true! But short of a public protest, we can't educate the 'masses'.

When I was younger I worked in a delicatessen and the environmental health used to 'drop in' and test the temps of the food and of course the food itself. What if we had something similar in our industry where a body was formed and reps would 'drop in' to salons in a bid to regulate them. They could take samples of products both being used and in storage and also do some 'secret shopping'. How fantastic if they had the power to close places down there and then if found to be using MMA. Imagine the possibilities ..... now THAT would help educate the masses! Client's having to leave mid-service would certainly get word out!

I'm so glad this post is here - it allows us to really vent :D

xx

Latest posts

Back