Disillusioned with the state of the Nail Industry? - here's one for us ALL to debate!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at this from the other side, ie. a client, it depends what you are looking for.

For example if I buy a top in a really unusual colour and want shoes to match, I will only pay £15-£20 for those shoes because I'll be lucky if I wear them 2 or 3 times so the quality is of no consequence. However when buying a pair of shoes for work that have to stand the test of time I will look around for comfort, quality of workmanship, suitability for their purpose and therefore would think nothing of paying upwards of £100.

Equating this to nails, if someone wants cheap nails for a couple of weeks for a night out or holiday, they are more likely to be swayed by price and special offers and not concerned about the longevity of the enhancements or any possible damage to the natural nail. If however someone wants "nice nails" as a long term thing, then I think they are more likely to look around at what is available, question your qualifications, get recommendations etc.

Personally it is this second class of client that I want to work with, not just from a financial point of view (as they will tend to return again and again and purchase recommended aftercare from you) but because of the satisfaction of transforming possibly horrid bitten nails into something of beauty and KEEPING them that way.

I would never turn away the "one night stand" client, lol. But the way I intend pricing myself, I don't think they will be beating down my door, and that's fine by me!:green:

This is well thought out and useful thread Sassy. In order to be taken seriously we need to be serious about what we do and how we do it.

The big problem is though that too many people , anybody in fact, can just 'take up doing nails' and start charging, whereas you can't do this with hairdressing for example. This cheapens what is actually a skill and so it is looked upon by the public in general as something not really worthy because anyone can do it.

I have sometimes read on here that steps are been taken to improve industry standards and bring in a standardized level of training and practising but how and where is this happening?

Thats one bug bearer another one to me is the "pin money" brigade....the I do nails for a bit of pin money.....to buy a new top etc substandard products with substandard prices, when some of these pin money makers are actually good nail technicians just as good as the "bill paying, food paying" nail technicians, but charge the £15 quid a set as apposed to £25-£30 for a set of exactly the same nail enhancements......why not just flog your wares at a car booty.

Joanne you are so right. If only they valued the industry and their skills they could make mega bucks - and have LOADS of new shoes lol! There are some hobby techs out there that are better than many who do it as a full time career, some of them frequent this site! Yes I can understand to a degree why they feel they should undercut prices, mainly through a lack of business understanding and maybe they just don't realise just how talented they are. (or even talonted lol)

Sass, I totally agree with your thread, and the many points that you have made.
When I done my course, one of the girls I trained with, started straight away on her own and then she was ringing me up and asking me about problems she had come across!!!
As I have previously said on one of my other posts, I was offered a chair in my hairdressers but refused as I thought I didn't have enough training, experience or confidence. I am continuing with my training and practicing like mad on friends, myself and my nail trainer.
I personally think that slowly and surely is the way to go, learning all the while as you go. This site has been excellent in helping me but(don't shoot me down in flames for this), I do feel that there are some questions on here that show there has been little or no training at all, nor do they want that, just quick answers imho

Hi,
I am a "newbie" myself and have taken no offence, I love reading all threads from experienced techs and believe we can learn so much from your expereinces, thankyou for giving me a lot to think about for the future.

Personally, I believe that those of us who care about standards and strive hard professionally to do the best possible job, will eventually come out on top. If you want anything from life you need to work bloody hard for it, and pay in not just hard cash, but blood, sweat and tears.

people who do things on the cheap, education and products etc,cannot possibly hope to turn out work quality work that lasts, which in the end can only benefit the true professionals. Here's hoping anyway:)

Great thread Sass...not much debate though...as we all agree with you!!!

I also agree with the quotes here by sahara.

I learned from experience that you need to be a bit more business savvy to get on in this industry.

I was lucky when I opened up my small business....it was boom time for nail enhancements and good well trained nail tech's in my area were few and far between.
Therefore I opened my doors and good word of mouth saved me on advertising...and had me fully booked quite quickly....without having a Business Plan!!!
My ongoing Education played a big part in keeping my clients loyalty....and paying my prices!!

6 years on from that with larger premises and an employee.....paperwork, accounts, paye,...and actually having to do some marketing to get my employee as fully booked as me to take the pressure off....... I realised that a good business course would have been a good investment!!!

There is a lot of help out there for new business now....and FREE courses run by Business Gateway. More new tech's should take advantage of that!
In this day and age it is essential to arm yourself with knowledge...not just in your products, but in your business sense!

I am not going to mention price wars, hobbyists and self taught tech's...as I need to go to work for 5pm!!......and I think I have made my feelings clear on this before.

So, what are we going to do about this?

You know what I really don't know! But all these issues have been bugging me for so long that I would explode if i didn't say something .... and it seems like I am not the only one!

I agree with Phoebe Cat that you get the clients who want a one off and aren't worried about paying for quality. So maybe we should have a set that caters for this client too, as Martin John (is that his name?) recently did in his steb by step feature in Scratch about white tips on nail biters and many people pooh poohed the idea - a quicker set aimed at a certain type of client that we could charge less for?

Fifitrix you are right too, and nope you won't get shot down in flames, that's why I lay down the ground rules to start with, any opinion is welcome as long as it's constructive. What you have to remember is that this site is an aide to training, not a substitute for it. People who use it as a training site will lack passion and commitment and respect, they are not prepared to invest in their future and unless they have a natural ability - which is rare - then they will move onto some other whim that takes their fancy. As most of us know, nothing beats the eye of a really good tutor to make your work even better and move you to the next level!

That's what I was trying to say Sass, I hope it didn't come cross that I thought this site was a substite for training, I meant that some people clearly do

wow i love this thread ....

Totaly agree well done you x

That's what I was trying to say Sass, I hope it didn't come cross that I thought this site was a substite for training, I meant that some people clearly do

Nope, you came across fine, and shame on those who use this site for totally the wrong reasons! It is people such as these that do this industry an injustice and are basically the worst of the worst. It is probably these cheap skaters who buy stuff off Ebay because they can't get it from the official channels ... but that's a whole new thread altogether. But IMO this type of "tech" is in the same league as the NSS, nothing more nothing less and they add no value to the site or our trade.

Good training is the only way to go in this day and age ... and we should count our blessings that it is there, the pioneers of this industry weren't so lucky and had to learn the hard way.

I agree to.

I think alot of people think its easy to set up a business (like you say without a business plan) and then can't understand why they've got no clients after a month so start slashing prices !!

I also think undercutting affects retail to, you only have to look at ebay to see various nail products (Retail & Pro) being sold at knockdown prices sometimes less than trade price :eek: and some of the sellers are nail techs themselves with salons. A salon i know sells creative enamels at £8.50 :irked: My clients openly admit that they will buy the products off the internet if its cheaper.

Although I only do natural nails I have clients that have enhancements done elsewhere & because they have the opinion that "extensions wreck your nails" they want cheap prices. I have tried to explain but they won't have it :grr:

I also agree....and sometimes feel that we are just not taken seriously.

Here are a few of the things said to me....."so do you have a proper job too..?".....IT IS MY FULL TIME JOB (sometimes working from 9am - 9pm)..........."your lucky cos you are at home all day painting nails"......I AM NEVER IN MY HOME, ALWAYS IN MY NAIL ROOM...."i wish i could find a little hobby like yours"...........I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR HOBBIES !!!!

But i do all this cos i love what i do....i am lucky yes...i have found that thing that pays me well and i enjoy it....but it didn't just fall on my lap....i work hard...it has been hard work...i could have caved in and stopped doing nails...but i didn't cos i needed and wanted it to work.

I have seen lots of new techs pop up now and then in my village....and my clients are quick to tell me so. I always say..."good we could do with another good nail tech around here, i hope she is good"..........(if she/he is still around in 6 months time i might raise an eyebrow, but they never are.)

I had a client who didn't turn up for her last appointment...heard nothing for 8 weeks....(didnt ring her as i was busy anyway and don't like to appear pushy)....then she rings wanting an appointment...when she came she said that she had been to 5 nail techs in 8 weeks .... spent over £100 pounds and non lasted a week....non used hand santitiser....only 1 did cuticle work....4 used white tips and clear gel (she has the shortest nail beds going)....1 did natural and didn't know you could get white gel, so said she would leave them natural as she cant do a french polish !!!!.........and why did she stop coming to me...££££...said she was trying to save money!!!!....well it cost her anyway, and it took her all this time and £££ to realise that i was doing a good job.

So thats my bug bear.....i want us to be took more seriously and for those who want to play at nails....GET A GIRLS WORLD !!!

I had a client who didn't turn up for her last appointment...heard nothing for 8 weeks....(didnt ring her as i was busy anyway and don't like to appear pushy)....then she rings wanting an appointment...when she came she said that she had been to 5 nail techs in 8 weeks .... spent over £100 pounds and non lasted a week....non used hand santitiser....only 1 did cuticle work....4 used white tips and clear gel (she has the shortest nail beds going)....1 did natural and didn't know you could get white gel, so said she would leave them natural as she cant do a french polish !!!!.........and why did she stop coming to me...££££...said she was trying to save money!!!!....well it cost her anyway, and it took her all this time and £££ to realise that i was doing a good job.

i love stories like these..

it proves that everyone can be a nail technician but - without the right training, hard work and the correct frame of mind - not everyone can become a good nail technician....

I think the problems are:

1. Enhancements are no longer 'in fashion'. Unless techs keep right up to the minute with trends, then clients may as well go to the £15 a set mob and have pwetty lickle palm twees on their hoofs in the middle of winter. Natural nails are in and there's a big market out there for regular manicures up for the taking.

2. Regardless of who the trainers are, unless regular courses are taken, then skills won't improve. However, we should't lose sight of the fact that not everyone can afford to continue training..................especially when they're not making any money from nails in the first place. And, especially when they were promised by there trainers that they'd be able to charge £40 a set.

3. I've said this before and I'll say it again............We're not brain surgeons, WE DO NAILS. WE think they're important but you know what? Clients don't give a damn as long as we're cheap and quick.

It seems to me that nails are the thing of the moment, whence once a bored housewife took up knitting they are now taking up nails

Too true i also have a few clients who have thought - hmm that looks easy enough i think i'll learn how to do that makes loads of money, Rach is here an hour and a half and i give her £30, hmmm how much can i earn in a week if i was to do it? ooh i can do it from home aswell, i can learn it from a DVD in a week, brilliant sfuff! Oooh even better i can buy my stuff on ebay - cut a few corners, i don't even have to leave the house!!

They have no passion for it what so ever - just POUND SIGNS in their eyes. I'm just hoping that the majority realise it takes longer then a few days to a week to learn! and that there is perservance, skill and talent needed to become a good tech.

I'll admit, I'm not there yet, I still have a lot to learn but i have passion in my heart not pound signs in my eyes!!

i think the white tip has a lot to blame for this..seriously!
imagine a world without them, talent would be essential.
doing nails wouldn't be so attractive to quite a few and maybe a lot of the public would appreciate a good nail requires skill...and realise the need to pay for it.

the bar needs to be well and truly raised and standardized across the board..hobbyist's need a bite on the butt from the tax man and the health department needs to do its job.

Rach i couldn't agree more !

It's even worse imo when they offer " advise " to trained technicians because the really do think it's that "simple" !

............We're not brain surgeons, WE DO NAILS. WE think they're important but you know what? Clients don't give a damn as long as we're cheap and quick.

Allthough it truly pains me to say it,i agree with you ! Most clients couldn't care less as long as they look "ok" for a bit !

I'll just have to make it my mission to convince them otherwise !

I have to blame the insurance companies - and the nail industry itself to some extent.

There is no clear-cut route for someone wanting a career in nails. If we weren't able to get insurance without such-and-such a qualification, we would all know what we had to do. How many threads have there been on here asking "which training should I do"? (I've asked it myself too)

And if there weren't adverts in both trade and non-trade mags saying you can be earning ££££££'s in next to no time, would-be techs would be more committed from the start.

No-one's sure which is the best way to go, therefore can you blame them for choosing the quickest option?

I trained with Star Nails (not very good) and Bio Sculpture, not really realising there was more to it than a couple of days of learning. It was only when I found this site that I realised there is more thorough and extensive training to be had - and that I need to keep updating that training. But what if you don't find this site??

I didn't struggle to get insurance, and even though I always carry my certificates with me, no-one has ever asked to look at them.

Oooh I do love a juicy controversial thread Sass :green:

Disillusioned (like you) is one word I’d use, also disappointed that the industry has been allowed to get like this in the first place.
We have waited a long time for the arrival of the industry standards, I'm wondering how long it will be before they have a real impact on the industry and sort it out of the mess I see it to be in at the moment?

Yes I know, it sounds like some of us whinge on and on and ariston about the lax education in some areas of the industry, but when you see it in black and white I think it becomes pretty clear as to why we do complain and moan about it.

People’s livelihoods are being threatened here, we’re talking about people worrying about not being able to feed their children and not being able to pay their mortgage, these are serious issues… and a lot of it has to do with the industry allowing 1 day courses being recognised so that some of the hobby techs and/or fulltime techs can go out there and charge ridiculously low prices for their work, undercutting the serious technicians… why? Because they fancy being a nail technician, it sounds good, it sounds easy, and it’s an easy game to get into?… wrong!!!

You know, far too often we get told (in as many words) to keep our thoughts to ourselves when we try to advise new technicians about getting good training, the same when we advise hobby techs to get trained before using products that they know nothing about, hopefully this thread will show the flaws not only in the industry but also in those people who don’t give a stuff about training and education and think they know it all already!!!

Training is the biggest problem, imo.

I enrolled on a 2 day everything covered course and thought wow this looks good, college looks fab etc etc. Went along did this 2 day course absolute rubbish (wont go into that now I'll be here all day) Came away feeling a little disheartened but still had a passion for nails.

Now although it was my fault in the first place for not researching properly, i didn't actually know what i was looking for in a course. The owner of the 'Academy' i went to claims to be one of the best and you could get insurance by having there qualification. However how can she be when she is happy to let people go out and potentially do some real damage an print certificates off her computer which were designed on word. Who is to blame here? Should there be a minimum qualification people should have before even attempting extensions - Yes is my answer. :)

For example i would've found it extremely difficult near impossible to do my degree without my GCSE's. Basic English basic maths etc so I think nail techs should have if you like a GCSE in manicures pedicures etc before advancing.

So despite my first bad experience my passion and determination has willed me too succeed. And I will.

Latest posts

Back