Disillusioned with the state of the Nail Industry? - here's one for us ALL to debate!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that the nail wearing public needs to be better educated before we can take steps to improve the industry......how we can do that is another question all together which has been debated here from time to time.

The HABIA code of practice doesn't seem to be coming in the twinkling of an eye and will it ever really be enforceable unless local H&S teams get out there and enforce it?

I have been thinking about the people who come into the salon asking questions and as soon as price is mentioned back-off...unless they have been referred...and I'm going to display my certificates on the wall and see if that makes a difference.

I'm not making much money out of nails at the moment....time of year for sure has a bearing on this...I'm relying on my regulars.....but I have felt like jacking it all in too.
Cathie,

I have wallpapered the nail area where I rent space with my Creative Certificates but they don't really register with the general public because they have never been told what credentials to look for in a good nail technician.

I hope you have better luck than me and that your qualifications bring you more clients but jo public in my area follows everyone else to the many NSS salons as that is what the majority does so that wrongly reassures them that the NSS salons must be the way to go.

I have done my part in obtaining the best nail education I can and will continue to do so for as long as I can hang on and stay in this undustry and I do my best to promote myself but I rely on recommendations to obtain new clients. I think it is for the training companies like Ezflow, Creative, NSI, etc, etc, as well as to try too to educate the public in what they should look for in a good nail technician. The industry has changed dramatically in the past few years and until the public are educated well-trained technicians will not be sought out.

I am disallusioned not only with the untrained and unethical so-called nail technicians swamping the market but also with the industry's lack of effort to educate the public about professional standards.

Terrific thread Sass!

This is a great thread and great food for thought!! So I am going to add my opinion.
At the moment I am a very part time tech or hobbiest if you like. I do not have the time or the child care to do anymore at the moment (3 kids and 4th on the way, must be mad!) I dont agree with what some have said about people that do the same as me ruin the industry or peoples nails or that dont take this seriously. I do not intend my sistuation to be forever. One day my children will all be at school full time and I would like to work properly in this industry. I am well trained and am working towards my masters with CND. I am insured and registered self employed as I wanted to do everything right. I am sure there are plenty more out there that do what I do and care about it.

Fantastic thread Sassy. Some really great posts, and some honest opinions (again, well said Sassy!)
I wanted to think more about this before I contributed. Industry standards are slowly but surely being worked on. Insurance seems to be a big problem.
Can we not as a forum of intelligent and articulate nail technicians, lobby the main insurance providers to raise their standards.
If Creative wont accept home learn students onto their conversion courses, why should they get insurance. I think the main problem with the insurance companies is that they don't necesarily understand what goes into each course.
We also need to be lobbying the government en-masse about MMA use, and health & safety standards etc.
We have enough smart women (and a few men) on this forum to be heard, and maybe make a difference.

This is a great thread and great food for thought!! So I am going to add my opinion.
At the moment I am a very part time tech or hobbiest if you like. I do not have the time or the child care to do anymore at the moment (3 kids and 4th on the way, must be mad!) I dont agree with what some have said about people that do the same as me ruin the industry or peoples nails or that dont take this seriously. I do not intend my sistuation to be forever. One day my children will all be at school full time and I would like to work properly in this industry. I am well trained and am working towards my masters with CND. I am insured and registered self employed as I wanted to do everything right. I am sure there are plenty more out there that do what I do and care about it.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing hun, thats how I started out..(a part time fully qualified tech)..we are talking about hobby techs that have poor or no training, have no insurence and want to earn a bit of pocket money on the side, these are the peeps that are ruining the industry, because they dont have the passion.:hug:

Fantastic thread Sassy. Some really great posts, and some honest opinions (again, well said Sassy!)
I wanted to think more about this before I contributed. Industry standards are slowly but surely being worked on. Insurance seems to be a big problem.
Can we not as a forum of intelligent and articulate nail technicians, lobby the main insurance providers to raise their standards.
If Creative wont accept home learn students onto their con..version courses, why should they get insurance. I think the main problem with the insurance companies is that they don't necesarily understand what goes into each course.
We also need to be lobbying the government en-masse about MMA use, and health & safety standards etc.
We have enough smart women (and a few men) on this forum to be heard, and maybe make a difference.

Has anyone ever been in the newspapers for damaging a clients health due to overexposure to nail products etc.?
Perhaps there have been none, or very few claims? (In the UK)

Just another thing to add (may be on a more close to home perspective).....

One thing I have learned over the past year is to gain the respect of your clients by not letting them walk all over you. eg

:idea: Although you value the work that comes in, never look too desperate for business. If a client demands to see you asap for something, fit them in, yes, but make sure it fits in around you too. There's nothing worse than a client who thinks that they own you just because they pay you.

:idea: Also keeping your prices at a professional level, shows that you are confident and very capable to do the job. There's nothing wrong with giving a little treat for Christmas, but only to thank them for their loyal custom.

:idea: Lastly stand your ground with your rules, if you feel that, for instance a clients kids are running a muck.......going through your stuff or interfering with your work. Let it be known that you can not work in these circumstances, and that you need full concentration to get the results you are used to performing.

I think that these little pointers can really help us gain respect. If every client is treated the same then our clients will take us seriously.
Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way, I hope nobody else has had to go through some of the dilemmas I've been put in, in the past.

HTH everyone to who it may concern!!!:)

My first course was a 2 day venture it was very interesting and covered the basics but i was appauled at the tutors as they encouraged us girls to get out there and charge for what we had learnt which was not alot.....
It was only after this course that i knew it was nails that i wanted to do but i knew that although i had a certificate to say i was qualified i was only qualified to talk ......

All two day courses should be banned and i agree with all the points in this thread... wouldnt the world be great if we could all do 2 days of training to become anything we wanted... and if that was the case how many of us would then decide to become something else????????

I fully agree that a lot of training places are as much to blame as anyone. However I don't believe that 2 day courses should be banned, there are some very good ones. BUT what I don't believe is this blatant advertising of Do a 2 day course and earn hundreds of pounds a day. It's totally giving off the wrong signals, you learn the basics in 2 days, nowt more. You are not going to walk out after that 2 days and do a good looking set in 90 minutes - it's just a big scam making people part with their hard earned money so they choose that course over another.

I do think that training providers should take more responsibility and make it clear that you are not a fully competent technician until more training is taken. Until your level of skill is such then you are not a competent tech. A recent thread on here said that most people agreed they felt it took 2 YEARS to feel confident in their work NOT TWO DAYS!!!

I also think that a certificate of attendance should be given for these courses, and a cert of qualification should only be given when a tech reaches certain standards and takes a test to prove it.

I fully agree that a lot of training places are as much to blame as anyone. However I don't believe that 2 day courses should be banned, there are some very good ones. BUT what I don't believe is this blatant advertising of Do a 2 day course and earn hundreds of pounds a day. It's totally giving off the wrong signals, you learn the basics in 2 days, nowt more. You are not going to walk out after that 2 days and do a good looking set in 90 minutes - it's just a big scam making people part with their hard earned money so they choose that course over another.

I do think that training providers should take more responsibility and make it clear that you are not a fully competent technician until more training is taken. Until your level of skill is such then you are not a competent tech. A recent thread on here said that most people agreed they felt it took 2 YEARS to feel confident in their work NOT TWO DAYS!!!

I also think that a certificate of attendance should be given for these courses, and a cert of qualification should only be given when a tech reaches certain standards and takes a test to prove it.

Completly agree because when you don't know what you are really looking for you trust the advise of these companies. you see them as the ones in the know - The website of the first company i went with claims anyone can be a tech in 2 days x

In comes that old saying again.............." You don't really learn to drive until you've passed your test!"

Well that's what I think anyway!

Hence 2 day course, needs to be fulfilled with continuous education and continuous practice.

This really needs to be stressed by the educators of these courses as I think it can dissolution many potential students.

As long as you are charging sensible prices that reflect your skill and expertise, it doesn't matter how many clients you actually have IMO. The ones dragging down our industry are the ones who charge a pittance cos they're just doing it for a giggle and that undermines every single true professional.

If you're building a client base within the contraints you have, but are dedicated, professional, skilled and charge accordingly then IMO you are a part time professioanl Nail Tech not a hobbyist.

:hug:

I agree in two days you learn the basics and also agree that after these two days an attendance certificate would be more appropiate, however i had a full qualification and for what i didnt know which is why i took my next step and found another training provider. That was only because i was'nt happy but there are girls from that 2 day course that are now running there own business !!! yikes how scarey is that.

I dont know how long or how much training i will do before i can say i am a confident nail tech, but what i do know is that i have the ability to become a very very good tech..

With NSI training they invite you back to test how good you actually are they give you 6 months from complettion of the course to call them......
Then you are invited back to do your practical assesment it is only then that you recieve a certificate with a qualification...

I should have also mentioned that upon leaving school i attended college and done a 3 year hairdressing and beauty therapy course which i learnt all about structure of hands nails bones etc etc.....

I dont know if i was picked up wrong in this thread but just to clarify i am still training i did not stop at a 2 day course........ thanks

Blimey!! I am exhausted reading 'most' of these threads!! This is such a brilliant thread and I have really enjoyed and learnt so much from it.
I am still saving to start my Creative Foundation Course. Yes it's alot of money, but I feel it's so important to get it right from the start. I am not even attempting to 'do' anyone's nails until I have started this course.
There is so much damage you could do to a client, friend and the industry by doing this and I feel its best to wait. I am getting so frustrated that I haven't got the money handed to me on a silver platter however, I feel this makes me even more passionate about learning and being able to start in the industry. I am currently self employed as a decorater running my own business. Therefore, I understand about the 'extra's' time,paperwork etc in running your own business or being self employed.
I am hoping to be able to get my money sorted and ready for the end of March,,,(fingers crossed), But I have still given myself a minimum of a year before I join my friend who is a hairdresser and starting his own salon. He has said I can chair rent, but there is no way I would go straight to it after just the foundation course.
I am getting such a passion for nails and this site has helped me gain more passion and knowledge.
Once I have completed the Foundation Course I want to go on and do loads of other courses!! My prices will be formed to the talent and skill I am going to be applying to peoples nails. With my decorating, I have people undercutting me all the time. Some have decorating as a second job and charge £8.00 an hour!! There is no way I can compete with that. I had one lady call me to decorate a bedroom. She had already used one of these undercutters in her lounge and it was shocking how he had left it,,,saying it was finished. He charged £240.00. I would have been about £100/150 more but my god would it have looked professional! Same thing with nails and many other things in thsi world. Sorry to waffle on,,, but just wanted to add my piece!

I am hoping to be able to get my money sorted and ready for the end of March,,,(fingers crossed), But I have still given myself a minimum of a year before I join my friend who is a hairdresser and starting his own salon. He has said I can chair rent, but there is no way I would go straight to it after just the foundation course.

Why not?!!!! This would be the best way for you to learn, trust me if you put it off you will never do it, you will never think you are good enough. I say go for it!

I started by working in a nail bar for a year, I did 2 days training (yup just the 2 lol, but then every set I did was critiqued until I was promoted to Technician 2 months later) and was straight to work the next day. I started off doing model sets at £10 a pop. As long as you make sure you advertise it as model sets, that the clients know that it will take you about 3 hours a set, that you won't do under 16's or badly bitten nails, and that your work is not guaranteed in the unlikely event they all come off in an hour THEN DO IT!!!

Just make sure you set out your price list for when you get up to a commercial salon speed of 90 minutes. Again I went from trainee at £10 a set, to rookie tech (2 hours a set) at £25 to Technician (90 mins or less) at £40 a set ... all within the space of 2 months. Yup that's how quick you can get your speed up if you do nails all day every day, and you are far more likely to get models when in a shop than trying to advertise from home.

I agree with most of it. As far as prices go business is business and if some moble tech can afford to do nails for cheap and is taking the bread from your table well thats how it goes. Dog eat dog. Business is politics, you want to advance then you compete. You do whatever you can afford to do to beat the competition. I am co-owner of J & K Design (stained glass business) and I know that we have made quite a few people upset as we have stole a lot of business from them. We grossed 30,000 in our first fiscal year, which in that market is good. We found our niche of what area of the market we were going to target, we made partnerships with glazers, wholesalers, and consignments shops. We run with minimal employees to be able to reduce expenses and with that we are able to charge less. It is hobby and business expierence for me and a hobby for my retired dad. Just because we don't HAVE to do it to survive, and someone else does, doesn't mean we shouldn't. That sounds kind of pitiful IMO.

I am not vindicating this sentiment, but unfortunately, this IS the way of the world. And it happens in all industries.

Consumers want cheap and there's always someone who will provide it.

But before we totally condem NSS and hobbyists for taking food of our tables, aren't we guilty of doing the same in other areas of our own lives. Do we always consider the effect on someone else's livelihood when we make our decisions??
  • Have you got any copied CDs and DVDs? Someone's losing out.
  • Did a professional company create your website, or did you go for the cheapest option?
  • Do you always take your car to the dealer for servicing etc - they're the trained professionals for your make/model?
Just because a bloke can fix a leaky tap doesn't make him a plumber. And whereas in the end quality usually wins - times are hard, and some people would rather have rubbish nails than no nails at all.

And unless we can have the integrity not to "do the dirty" on our fellow techs then nothing will change

• Did a professional company create your website, or did you go for the cheapest option?
  • Do you always take your car to the dealer for servicing etc - they're the trained professionals for your make/model?

Couldn't Agree more!

I am not vindicating this sentiment, but unfortunately, this IS the way of the world. And it happens in all industries.

But before we totally condem NSS and hobbyists for taking food of our tables, aren't we guilty of doing the same in other areas of our own lives. Do we always consider the effect on someone else's livelihood when we make our decisions??
Just because a bloke can fix a leaky tap doesn't make him a plumber. And whereas in the end quality usually wins - times are hard, and some people would rather have rubbish nails than no nails at all.

And unless we can have the integrity not to "do the dirty" on our fellow techs then nothing will change

You have a very good point here now my head is really ticking x

Why not?!!!! This would be the best way for you to learn, trust me if you put it off you will never do it, you will never think you are good enough. I say go for it!

I started by working in a nail bar for a year, I did 2 days training (yup just the 2 lol, but then every set I did was critiqued until I was promoted to Technician 2 months later) and was straight to work the next day. I started off doing model sets at £10 a pop. As long as you make sure you advertise it as model sets, that the clients know that it will take you about 3 hours a set, that you won't do under 16's or badly bitten nails, and that your work is not guaranteed in the unlikely event they all come off in an hour THEN DO IT!!!

Ok,,,,,,I already have people interested in me so I will get sorted and confident and as you said GO FOR IT! It's still the unknown for me, but won't be once I get going!!

Yup you are right, we live in a pretty nasty world ... but I guess maybe I am different, I would rather go without than not have the best, or exactly what I want.

The thing is if you are good at what you do then you CAN and SHOULD charge more ... I am always suspicious of cheap prices. It's that old adage, if it seems to good to be true then it probably is ... there is always a catch, usually (but not always) resulting in shoddy work. As someone said earlier (think it was gemsie), if you train and it costs you £500 then spread that over 100 sets and it's £5 a set off your bottom line. Now "do the dirty" and don't get training and whoah that's £5 you can knock off you set price, or £5 more profit you make! Yup it's a nasty world, but I don't have to sink to their level and I won't!

The client doesn't know the difference ... like the unskilled decorator or plumber or whatever ... and they get a less than satisfactory job for their money. Do they care? Maybe not! But if they knew that there is better, where the nails look real and last longer ... well quite often they do care.

What saddens me though is those people who don't value their worth, who ARE good and yet still feel they must stay at charging model rates because they don't have the self confidence to charge more. Or even more so on the flip side, someone who charges £50 for a shoddy set, I think that is actually worse!

Yup it's a nasty world, but I don't have to sink to their level and I won't!

This is what I was meaning. If we stay solid, maintain our levels and don't see each other as a threat, the industry can only benefit.

But, as has been said, consumers need educating too. I didn't know Creative was such a reputable company with high training standards until I found this site. I had never seen any nail systems advertised in women's magazine, so how can we expect customers to know that a Creative (or whatever) sticker means a good salon?

Just another thought - what about techs who are trained within salons? The salon owner may well have done all the training etc, but is she/he able to pass that info on adequately to junior staff? If not, it sort of invalidates the sticker in the window.

To be honest i haven't even started my training properly yet but this thread has certainly made me think about a few things.

I thought that when i started out i would need to be cheap to attract people, but now i'm thinking no when i am ready to be unleashed on the public i am going to charge what i am worth.

This is excatly what i am thinking after reading this thread. Even though i qualified and got my insurance straight away last summer, i still dont feel ready to launch properly. i have a LONG way to go. This thread has made me more determined to be the best i can and when i am ready i know i will be worth proper prices and not trainee price. More training for me i think!! Also the business courses are a fab idea and i will most definately be doing one of those. ( i remember a thread of sassy's a while back saying that a high percentage of people who did not attend a business course, failed in their business within a year, compared to those who DID the course and mostly succeeded.)

GREAT THREAD SASS!

Latest posts

Back