Disinfecting/sterilising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkies!

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this topic up again but I didn't get a reply to my question in the last post.

Is it correct then that disinfecting sprays disinfect immediately where as Barbicide for example takes 15 mins??

Also, if it is not necessary for us to sterilise but you got some blood on a reusable tool such as your cuticle nippers or touched a bacterial infection with your dual tool, you would sterilise then right??

I'm confused?!

Pinkies! said:
Sorry to bring this topic up again but I didn't get a reply to my question in the last post.

Is it correct then that disinfecting sprays disinfect immediately where as Barbicide for example takes 15 mins??

Also, if it is not necessary for us to sterilise but you got some blood on a reusable tool such as your cuticle nippers or touched a bacterial infection with your dual tool, you would sterilise then right??

I'm confused?!

Hi,

I am new to all this been doing it about a year now, I spray everything before and after this is the way that I have been taught, with the metal tools such as dual tool and cuticle nippers etc I use barbicide.

Hope this helps, better to be safe than sorry.

I have a good friend of mine who does my nails for me and she never sparys anything, and she also has cut me a few times with a nail file, that is the reason I spary everything before I touch anybody.

Michelle :)

Pinkies! said:

I'm confused?!

Hiya.... I'm lead to believe that yes, tools have to be immersed in the Barbicide for at least 15mins but as for the spray I'm not sure whether it disinfects immediately.

In an earlier post certain peeps were getting quite heated about the fact that sterilisation really isn't necessary, and maybe it isn't in the majority of cases but as you mentioned above about getting blood on tools.... that can't be good can it? From time to time we have clients that have little nicks and cuts on the nail folds and they can't always be covered with plasters so inevitably you end up touching it with either your tools or your fingers. If I was the next client and those tools had only been disinfected I would not be very pleased, would you?
You just don't know what people have in their veins these days(diseases I mean) and I for one am not willing to take any risks whatsoever, so I STERILISE everytime. As you said, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just my opinion!

Having said that... there is a salon just down the road from me and they (allegedly) don't sanitise or disinfect or sterilise! I have inherited clients from that salon that have told me they don't even wash the tools, they just carry on using them on the next client. Nice eh?

Laura said:
Hiya.... I'm lead to believe that yes, tools have to be immersed in the Barbicide for at least 15mins but as for the spray I'm not sure whether it disinfects immediately.

In an earlier post certain peeps were getting quite heated about the fact that sterilisation really isn't necessary, and maybe it isn't in the majority of cases but as you mentioned above about getting blood on tools.... that can't be good can it? From time to time we have clients that have little nicks and cuts on the nail folds and they can't always be covered with plasters so inevitably you end up touching it with either your tools or your fingers. If I was the next client and those tools had only been disinfected I would not be very pleased, would you?
You just don't know what people have in their veins these days(diseases I mean) and I for one am not willing to take any risks whatsoever, so I STERILISE everytime. As you said, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just my opinion!

Having said that... there is a salon just down the road from me and they (allegedly) don't sanitise or disinfect or sterilise! I have inherited clients from that salon that have told me they don't even wash the tools, they just carry on using them on the next client. Nice eh?

I defiently would not like it that's why when I have my nails done by my friend I take my own spray, she sanitises my hands with gel but not her files, and she has cut me a few times with her sharp nail file on the side wall and that stings like hell.

Is it correct that you have to take the sharp edges of your files when new, using another file so this does not happen, cause say I bleed and then she uses the file straight on somebody else could infections start :mad:

I sterilise everything including my nail station, my husband says I am like the lady out of Band of Gold that bleaches everything, better to be in a clean and tidy environment that have a come back on anything..

Michelle

Magical Touch said:
I defiently would not like it that's why when I have my nails done by my friend I take my own spray, she sanitises my hands with gel but not her files, and she has cut me a few times with her sharp nail file on the side wall and that stings like hell.

Is it correct that you have to take the sharp edges of your files when new, using another file so this does not happen, cause say I bleed and then she uses the file straight on somebody else could infections start :mad:

I sterilise everything including my nail station, my husband says I am like the lady out of Band of Gold that bleaches everything, better to be in a clean and tidy environment that have a come back on anything..

Michelle

Hi Michelle, you don't HAVE to take the sharp edges off but it strongly recommended that you do. OPI actually sell a gismo that does the job for you. It's neat.
Yes, you should sanitise/disinfect your abrasives between clients... there are many companies that sell sprays for this job. Why not try your local wholesaler.
I remember 'Band of Gold'... the old boy (the kinky one that made her wear her rubber gloves) is in Emmerdale now isn't he? :lol:

When you say you sterilise everything, what exactly do you use/do?

Yes, what exactly do you both do for sterilisation??

Thank you

Pinkies! said:
Yes, what exactly do you both do for sterilisation??

Thank you

Hiya... I sterilise my implements in a steam steriliser, and either sanitise or disinfect other sufaces including abrasives. And you? :)

Magical Touch said:

Michelle
Hi girls check out this recent thread http://www.samuelsweet.com/showthread.php?t=3156&highlight=disinfecting

this should give you more than enough info on disinfecting your implements. As for your friend, she really is being totally irresponsible. Sanitation is a basic but extremely important procedure that she should have been taught to carry out before, during and after each client. As for her files, if she catches someone and makes them bleed, that file should be broken and placed in the bin. This is done in front of the client so that she knows it won't be used on the next client.

Adele

To Desinfect, to sterilize or to sanitise............

Sterilizing,
As soon as you take a sterilize tool out of the sterile enviroment it becomes a desinfected tool, so to speak..........
In order for it to stay sterile it needs a sterile enviroment, as in operation Theatre...............just a thought.....but if sterilizing is what you do and it gives you that piece of mind, that's great..:cool: ...

Any disposable tools that are contaminated with bodily fluids are thrown out.... files and the like snapped in half, to they can't find there way back onto the desk xxxxxxxxxx

Any contaminated permanent tools , are washed with soap and water and placed in my barbecide jar for at least 15 minutes.......

But it's great to hear that all us geeks take health and safety so serious..Faberoonie...

The information is taken from www.designernails.com website...........
NVQ section...great information there I have to add !!!!!!!!!!!!

UNDERSTANDING
SANITATION, DISINFECTION & STERILIZATION
Practice ‘universal sanitation’ in your workplace. ‘Universal sanitation’ means keeping the entire salon/work place clean, disinfected, and sanitary.

SANITIATION – Greatly reduces the number of pathogens or bacteria on a surface.

Salon tools and surfaces are sanitized by cleaning with soaps, detergents and water. Hands, nails, skin, salon surfaces and tools must be sanitized by using soaps, detergents, water and a hand sanitizer like COOL BLUE.

Washing is important, but may not kill all harmful bacteria and pathogens. Wash with soap and water before and after each client. Sanitize your hands with COOL BLUE, a refreshing hand sanitizer that kills germs and leaves hands feeling soft. COOL BLUE helps stop the spread of colds and flue. It also kills the germs that cause staph and strep infections. It comes in a pump dispenser to be used right at the table and you do not rinse it off.

DISINFECTION –Kills all pathogens on a surface and is almost as effective as sterilization.

Disinfecting does not kill or remove spores (sterilization will). Disinfection is the best way to prevent the spread of dangerous organisms in the salon.

Disinfectants are not for use on human skin, hair or nails. They are used for contaminated tools, implements and surfaces. Never use disinfectants or alcohol as a hand cleaner.

Disinfect the table and all hard surfaces at the table in-between each client with TRUE BLUE, a hard surface EPA registered hospital grade disinfectant that is bactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal and it will inhibit the growth of mould and mildew and their odours when used as directed.

Creating a clean and healthy environment in your salon means keeping every surface area disinfected: Counters, mirrors, tables, desks, phones, floors, chairs and even door handles should be cleaned with a hospital grade disinfectant (at least 70%IPA solution) that is bacteriacidal, fungicidal and virucidal; this is an important part of salon safety. Clients depend on you to ensure their safety.
Hope this helps

Hi girls,

I sterilise all my metal tools in barbacide, and I use The Edge hospital grade spray for my files and I also use one that I buy from my local wholesaler.

The Edge spray has a wonderful smell spary it all the time :biggrin:

Michelle

Barbacide doesn't sterilize, it disinfects :) , like explained above :left:
we should be using a proper terminogogy so we cons confuse people :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back