Disposable spatulas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigby's mum

Reaction score
Anybody else worried about the number of wooden spatulas they are throwing away? Could get metal ones and sanitise them but need bigger wooden spatulas if not. Any suggestions? Also, I can’t really see too well through my visor? Is this just me??? First day teething problems - do you have any?

Hi,
Ive been opened two weeks in Ireland. I found the visors so hot and fog up quite quickly. Personally i prefer a mask.
Ive had lots of clients comment on the amount of spatulas im using, they feel its not good for the environment, but what can we do. All ppe arent great for the environment but cross contamination could occur unless we practice a single dip waxing procedure with the spatulas. Ive never used plastic or metal spatulas and would be interested on feedback from others who use them.
In Ireland we have far more relaxed rules on the treatments that can be done in the salon. I dont think it would be worthwhile opening if I wasnt allowed do treatments from the decollete up.
Best of luck to you all today. It does get easier and less stressful as the days go on

So I’m interested in peoples views on “double dipping” per say, so I was taught it was only double dipping when you overlap an area that has been waxed already then put that spatula back in the pot. So for example when I do half a leg wax I cleansed the area, 1 spatula covers front of leg and knee, remove wax, when I then turn client over that one spatula is used again to overlap and spread on back of leg, that spatula then goes to the bin, 2nd spatula then applies further wax if required, an if that overlaps on to already waxed area that goes in the bin. Am I “double dipping” Hope this makes sense?

Thanks x

So I’m interested in peoples views on “double dipping” per say, so I was taught it was only double dipping when you overlap an area that has been waxed already then put that spatula back in the pot. So for example when I do half a leg wax I cleansed the area, 1 spatula covers front of leg and knee, remove wax, when I then turn client over that one spatula is used again to overlap and spread on back of leg, that spatula then goes to the bin, 2nd spatula then applies further wax if required, an if that overlaps on to already waxed area that goes in the bin. Am I “double dipping” Hope this makes sense?

Thanks x
In my mind, yes you are double dipping, although others may disagree. I only dip spatula into wax pot once and then throw it away. I get through loads of spatulas but for the interest of hygiene and safety I wouldn't do it any other way.

Anybody else worried about the number of wooden spatulas they are throwing away? Could get metal ones and sanitise them but need bigger wooden spatulas if not. Any suggestions? Also, I can’t really see too well through my visor? Is this just me??? First day teething problems - do you have any?

Surely you haven’t been putting your fingers in the pots until now?:D

It takes about 3/4 a box to do a full body wax. With anything else like face/stirring etc they are totally recycleable by composting or taking to your local tip It’s wood. Wax takes a long time to degrade on landfill so maybe don’t do that either, decades to centuries, so I’d be more worried about that. But still, it does degrade unlike plastic.

It takes two spatulas for a facial. One for exfoliant and one for mask. Others don’t usually come in tubs. You’d just have to clean the products before and after use so you can touch them through the service to prevent client to client transmission of germs...like normal. Or use an actual spoon and clean that too (unless wax).

As for visor, use shaving foam on it after cleaning. I’ve made a shield for my couch so I don’t need one.

In my mind, yes you are double dipping, although others may disagree. I only dip spatula into wax pot once and then throw it away. I get through loads of spatulas but for the interest of hygiene and safety I wouldn't do it any other way.
This is the correct way to use spatulas although I worked in a salon that was spotlessly clean but the therapist's all used the same spatula for a half leg! The temperature on the wax pot was turned up high at the end of the day and then returned to the normal setting after a while!
I think personally a separate spatula should be used every time you put wax on the spatula. That means using a lot of wooden.spatulas!

It takes about 3/4 a box to do a full body wax. With anything else like face/stirring etc they are totally recycleable by composting or taking to your local tip It’s wood. Wax takes a long time to degrade on landfill so maybe don’t do that either, decades to centuries, so I’d be more worried about that. But still, it does degrade unlike plastic.

It takes two spatulas for a facial. One for exfoliant and one for mask. Others don’t usually come in tubs. You’d just have to clean the products before and after use so you can touch them through the service to prevent client to client transmission of germs...like normal. Or use an actual spoon and clean that too (unless wax).

As for visor, use shaving foam on it after cleaning. I’ve made a shield for my couch so I don’t need one.
Can I just confirm then, that you would take used spatulas to the recycling/dump even though they have wax and maybe hair and over them? I never thought of that. Don’t know how they would be re-used, but its an idea. All my products are being cleaned after use, but that’s normal. I have given up on the visor, I only use it when people arrive or leave, other than that they are behind a podiatry screen which is brilliant. Being in my 50’s, the hot flushes make having a bit of plastic over the face impossible, and if I can’t see what I’m doing, then I shouldn’t do it. Thanks for taking time to reply. Hope all going well for you x

Do you compost them and how? I would have mountains, my neighbours would complain and Environmental health told me I must bin them.

Which tip do you take them to as environmental health also has told me all business must use trade waste only and I work from home so need trade waste to come and collect or larger items I have to go to a trade weigh bridge. I can’t take it to the local tip unless they accept trade waste, and then I’d have store them until you have enough for a car load and also pay the tip by how much they weigh or per car load.

I hate all this throwing away so been trying for years to work out better ways to do things differently!

X

Yes I’ve been worried for years! I love the environment and trying my best to be frugal with throwing away things! Over the years I’ve been getting better and actually find keeping less wax sticks on my trolley makes me use less, so I only get out the ones I need for each treatment and now use so many less!

I didn’t realise my visor had protection film on both sides, I’d been practicing wearing it and wondered why it was so blurry, took it off and it’s now crystal clear!!! But still fogs up every now and again when breathing! I also find I have to go nearer to the client with it on to see properly!

Xx

I was taught to have 1 spatula that stays in the wax pot to use to drizzle into the spatula I going to use on the client. That way I only using 2 spatulas, well for strip wax anyway. Hot wax I will change spatula for intimate wax each area but keep 1 in pot to use to drizzle again. It cuts down on spatulas and there's no cross contamination.

After seeing the video posted above using a metal spatula, I decided to buy one.
Haven’t done any waxing on clients until today (which was a nightmare in this heat & all the PPE!!!! 🥵) so hadn’t had a chance to use it until now.
It does take a bit of getting used to but i’m hoping it will get easier & it is nice not to be using so many wooden spatulas.
Another waxing on Monday, so might update with the ease of use if anyone is interested.

After seeing the video posted above using a metal spatula, I decided to buy one.
Haven’t done any waxing on clients until today (which was a nightmare in this heat & all the PPE!!!! 🥵) so hadn’t had a chance to use it until now.
It does take a bit of getting used to but i’m hoping it will get easier & it is nice not to be using so many wooden spatulas.
Another waxing on Monday, so might update with the ease of use if anyone is interested.
I would be interested to hear how you get on with the metal spatula. Can I please ask where you got it/them from and how many you bought? Good luck! X

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the metal spatula. Can I please ask where you got it/them from and how many you bought? Good luck! X
I only bought one to start of with to see how I get on with it, & I bought off eBay very reasonable. Will update tomorrow when I have another wax.
I did double dip with the client I had yesterday as i only had enough wax for her so will see what mess I get in with wiping the spatula after each application 😂

Last edited:
Great video from wax logic, I have really missed my metal spatula and never thought of wiping it between dips. I have ordered the cleaner and will give it a go, wax logic made it look easy, we shall see.

So second wax today with wiping the spatula between dips. It is a bit of a faff but hopefully in time I speed up, Done a full Leg & Bikini in about 40 minutes which is roughly the amount of time it normally takes me with this client.
It does spread the wax much nicer than a wooden spatula & easy to wipe off. Definitely worth a try.

So second wax today with wiping the spatula between dips. It is a bit of a faff but hopefully in time I speed up, Done a full Leg & Bikini in about 40 minutes which is roughly the amount of time it normally takes me with this client.
It does spread the wax much nicer than a wooden spatula & easy to wipe off. Definitely worth a try.
Glad it went well. I might get a couple and put them in cleaner. Might make it easier. Thanks for feedback and good luck! X

I was taught to have 1 spatula that stays in the wax pot to use to drizzle into the spatula I going to use on the client. That way I only using 2 spatulas, well for strip wax anyway. Hot wax I will change spatula for intimate wax each area but keep 1 in pot to use to drizzle again. It cuts down on spatulas and there's no cross contamination.
Heard if this method wouldn't mind watching how it's done

Latest posts

Back