Diversifying help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a mobile hairdresser in UK and have been for 20 years, As like for many, Covid has caused hard times and as such I’m looking into what else I can branch into, either nails, beauty, lashes, massage, or make up even? Is there anyone who does more than one of these along side hairdressing? Just wondered if anyone could help suggest what has worked for them? I live in a town where there are plenty of each but not many people (if any) who can do multiple skills. Thanks

I’m not keen on being a Jack of all Trades, mainly because of the amount of kit you’ll need to carry and ensure your stuff doesn’t go gloopy/out of date.

The only exception I think is doing make-up and gain a reputation for Prom/wedding hairstyling/ and make-up.

I employ a therapist who’s a hairdresser, clients go to her and I’m concerned now that I’ve lost beauty business to her, altho. To be honest, brows are a no brainer. When I go to the hairdresser I invariably notice my brows in the mirror. For a mobile client it surely would be the finishing touch and you can do it in a chair.

It makes sense to see fewer clients, each paying more money. I wouldn’t want to do lash extensions mobile, but lash lifts could work well - you’ll need a couch and a good light of course. The treatment cycle is the same as hair (6-8 weeks)

Nails is a nice add on. If you have clients with processing time to kill, it’s something you can do with them in a chair. The investment is higher as you’ll need around 36 colours and a lamp. I wouldn’t bother with extensions though as these are repeat treatments every 2-3 weeks. I’d have thought a pedi would work better with a hairdresser friend,y visit cycle of every 6-8 weeks.

I employ a therapist who’s a hairdresser, clients go to her and I’m concerned now that I’ve lost beauty business to her, altho. To be honest, brows are a no brainer. When I go to the hairdresser I invariably notice my brows in the mirror. For a mobile client it surely would be the finishing touch and you can do it in a chair.

It makes sense to see fewer clients, each paying more money. I wouldn’t want to do lash extensions mobile, but lash lifts could work well - you’ll need a couch and a good light of course. The treatment cycle is the same as hair (6-8 weeks)

Nails is a nice add on. If you have clients with processing time to kill, it’s something you can do with them in a chair. The investment is higher as you’ll need around 36 colours and a lamp. I wouldn’t bother with extensions though as these are repeat treatments every 2-3 weeks. I’d have thought a pedi would work better with a hairdresser friend,y visit cycle of every 6-8 weeks.
Thank you that’s all super helpful,
Yes I’m not keen on carrying loads of stock, I also wasn’t keen on lugging a couch around either!
I’m not keen on being a Jack of all Trades, mainly because of the amount of kit you’ll need to carry and ensure your stuff doesn’t go gloopy/out of date.

The only exception I think is doing make-up and gain a reputation for Prom/wedding hairstyling/ and make-up.
Thanks, yes was thinking along the wedding make-up too, it’s just not needed as often but is a good niche, thanks

Hi Tracey I am a hairdresser and qualified beauty therapist when I was mobile I concentrated on hair and wedding makeup and that did really well I was always busy. I mostly do beauty therapy now as I have a room in my house but due to covid I have also had to diversify and have started doing hair again. The treatments I think depend on what really interests you and that you are able to do comfortably in someones home also another thought you could do beauty parties where everyone gets a treatment also with Prom around the corner lots of teenagers getting ready would love their hair make up and nails done. My advice is to do a few basic treatments first maybe manicure and pedicure and see how you get on don't invest too much money initially as you may find the hair side of things picks up. Another thing to consider is carrying a couch around if you were to do massage I've tried it they are heavy cumbersome and take time to set up. Try and incorporate tables chairs etc the client has at home to do manicures and pedicures (not massage !) to miminse the equipment you need. Good luck and hope it goes well

Hi Tracey I am a hairdresser and qualified beauty therapist when I was mobile I concentrated on hair and wedding makeup and that did really well I was always busy. I mostly do beauty therapy now as I have a room in my house but due to covid I have also had to diversify and have started doing hair again. The treatments I think depend on what really interests you and that you are able to do comfortably in someones home also another thought you could do beauty parties where everyone gets a treatment also with Prom around the corner lots of teenagers getting ready would love their hair make up and nails done. My advice is to do a few basic treatments first maybe manicure and pedicure and see how you get on don't invest too much money initially as you may find the hair side of things picks up. Another thing to consider is carrying a couch around if you were to do massage I've tried it they are heavy cumbersome and take time to set up. Try and incorporate tables chairs etc the client has at home to do manicures and pedicures (not massage !) to miminse the equipment you need. Good luck and hope it goes well
Thank you, it’s nice to hear people have done both, I’ve been looking up doing hair extensions and/or make-up courses, but also like the sound of a basic manicure, (I just cannot do feet) lol

I think you either like doing feet or don't I don't mind them but manicure would work well for youalso ask your clients what they would like to try re treatment i.e. gel polish is very popular and easy to do just make sure that you do the courses as this will mean you are insured for each new treatment you perform wishing you all the best .

I think you either like doing feet or don't I don't mind them but manicure would work well for youalso ask your clients what they would like to try re treatment i.e. gel polish is very popular and easy to do just make sure that you do the courses as this will mean you are insured for each new treatment you perform wishing you all the best .
Yes just sorted out a questionnaire for clients, I would need to get additional insurance as mine only covers hair, and I’ve been looking up accredited courses, think that’s more why I wanted to know what others have done or could recommend which compliment each other, wouldn’t dream of doing anything without some kind of qualification. Thank you for the advice x

My insurance is with InEvexco through professional beauty direct its was £52.50 and is for both hair and beauty x

My insurance is with InEvexco through professional beauty direct its was £52.50 and is for both hair and beauty x
Oh amazing thank you, typically I just paid mine this month for the year 😭🤦🏼‍♀️

Hi, I’m a mobile hairdresser in UK and have been for 20 years, As like for many, Covid has caused hard times and as such I’m looking into what else I can branch into, either nails, beauty, lashes, massage, or make up even? Is there anyone who does more than one of these along side hairdressing? Just wondered if anyone could help suggest what has worked for them? I live in a town where there are plenty of each but not many people (if any) who can do multiple skills. Thanks
I trained in beauty therapy and hairdressing many years back. For years I did just hairstyling and makeup for wedding and party clients. Last few years needing to take on more work due to financial difficulties I started doing beauty therapy treatments as clients booking for weddings do want beauty treatments prior the occasion. There is alot of kit involved. Perhaps start of with hair styling and updos as your doing hairdressing already and the kit is not big investment as makeup once you get feel if clients may want to book you for other treatments and services then maybe look into it. All the best

Professional Beauty Direct do great cover. £152.50 for all hair, beauty and dermaplaning cover x

Latest posts

Back