DND gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salina Williams-Funnell

Reaction score
Hi, just looking for opinions on DND Gel polish if anyone has used them at all?

Anyone used DND at all ??

I worked for a couple of shops that used DND.

1. They're very cheap.
2. They work very well.
3. They may give you an allergic reaction if you don't wear nitrile gloves.

Are they the highest quality gels? No. But they do last around 2 weeks.

With gels like these, they don't have their own curing light so you have paint very thinly while making it look smooth. This helps with curing problems like lifting - since the gels most likely arn't cured all the way. But the thinner you paint, the better it will cure. This is the case for most gels I know of besides CND.

As a side note, Ive noticed that good nails techs can work with almost any nail product even if they are poorly made. They just make it work.

Last edited:

Which is great for the Tech.....but what about the client?? :eek:

I used dnd and still have a few colors. The dnd dc line is the best for color payoff and viscosity. Dnd does have a lamp along with their system. It stays on for about 3 weeks.

Which is great for the Tech.....but what about the client?? :eek:

Thats the risk they have to take if they want to get their nails done. And really its the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure their products cure properly.

Nail techs are very powerless in what they can do in regards to allergies for the client. Based on my research, only CND has shown that they cure properly. Is everyone going to use CND? No.

Alot of the LED lights you see on the market are rebranded lights. CND is really the only one with a bespoke lamp, which is very expensive to make.

Thats the risk they have to take if they want to get their nails done. And really its the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure their products cure properly.

Nail techs are very powerless in what they can do in regards to allergies for the client. Based on my research, only CND has shown that they cure properly. Is everyone going to use CND? No.

Alot of the LED lights you see on the market are rebranded lights. CND is really the only one with a bespoke lamp, which is very expensive to make.

Thats the risk they have to take if they want to get their nails done
it's their responsibility to be informed yes, but we also have a responsibility to protect them by using only good quality products and practices.

And really its the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure their products cure properly
. They do! By telling you which lamp to use....however Technicians....and you are one of the biggest culprits continue to ignore that advice and use incorrect lamps. You then go on to tell other techs it's OK to do it too.

Nail techs are very powerless in what they can do in regards to allergies for the client.
Absolute rubbish! Techs are the main reason for causing allergies and over exposure to clients by not following manufacturers recommendations and/or insufficient training.

Ikon-IQ have there own bespoke lamp to.

Ikon-IQ have there own bespoke lamp to.

I think Gelish and OPI have their lamp also but that's simply not enough. They must prove their their lamps cure their gels to at least 90% for all of their gels. I have not seen convincing evidence for this other than CND. Most of these other brands are most likely only curing to 50%, which is enough for the gels to become hard. But this leads to reliability and allergic problems.

Both the manufacturer and nail techs have step up their game. A big problem is that the profit margin for nail brands are so small that its very hard for them to invest in testing and lamp development. For example, if one company makes only 50k a year from selling their products, but making a lamp and getting testing done is 100k, whats the point of even having a brand.

Also like I said, techs make things work despite these setbacks. Thats the amazing thing.

Now that I think about it, I should go and work for DND.

Last edited:
I worked for a couple of shops that used DND.

1. They're very cheap.
2. They work very well.

Are they the highest quality gels? No. But they do last around 2 weeks.

With gels like these, they don't have their own curing light so you have paint very thinly while making it look smooth. This helps with curing problems like lifting - since the gels most likely arn't cured all the way. But the thinner you paint, the better it will cure. This is the case for most gels I know of besides CND.

As a side note, Ive noticed that good nails techs can work with almost any nail product even if they are poorly made. They just make it work.
LED Lamps - DND Gel USA Here are their lights. Not sure why people keep thinking they don't have one? No disrespect intended. <3

Agreed. In my experience, CND sucks. I started with it and used ONLY CND products and the lamp. I couldn't even get a full 2 weeks' wear with their products and for the price they charge?? No thanks. I know a lot of people have good luck with CND and absolutely love their products, so don't think I'm completely bashing them, they just aren't right for me. The best and top brands aren't always the best bet. That was the lesson I quickly learned once other brands started creating gel polish.

Can't understand why you can't get a full 2 weeks wear out of CND products?? In what way do they not last for 2 weeks?
I have no problem getting at least 2 weeks and maybe more out of them. I have tried various other brands but I always end up going back to CND.

Oh no, here you go again making false claims about CND and against other brands. None of what you said is correct. Gelish, OPI, Artistic, IKON, Light Elegance, and many other brands have their own lamps created for their products; other brands cure properly (>95%). I really thought you'd gotten over this delusion.

And nail techs are not powerless in regard to what they can do for clients vis a vis allergies. The very first thing they can do is educate themselves (and your erroneous allegations aren't helpful in that regard). The next thing they can do is adhere to the manufacturers' instructions for the use of the various products as well as paying attention to basic sanitation and hygiene and nail biology. We also have a significant amount of influence over our clients and can educate them as well. We are not powerless, but we are often negligent when the profit motive overtakes us.

Can't understand why you can't get a full 2 weeks wear out of CND products?? In what way do they not last for 2 weeks?
I have no problem getting at least 2 weeks and maybe more out of them. I have tried various other brands but I always end up going back to CND.
It’s because some people find it chips, not every product is right for everyone

That's weird none of my clients have complained about CND Shellac chipping. Maybe if curing is done by another make of lamp other than CND'S lamp that might give rise to chipping??

Hmmm I don’t know any techs who have tried it with the wrong lamp, so I couldn’t say

I’m so confused. I thought the question was regarding DND but in many responses to the question people are typing CND. Do they mean DND or CND?? 🤔

Both, someone was asking about DND, CND was recommended, someone came on spouting CND wasn't great, DND was better, so the CND users are responding.

Ok. Thank you for the clarification 😝

it's their responsibility to be informed yes, but we also have a responsibility to protect them by using only good quality products and practices.

. They do! By telling you which lamp to use....however Technicians....and you are one of the biggest culprits continue to ignore that advice and use incorrect lamps. You then go on to tell other techs it's OK to do it too.

Absolute rubbish! Techs are the main reason for causing allergies and over exposure to clients by not following manufacturers recommendations and/or insufficient training.
How often do allergies come up?

Latest posts

Back