Do any colorists out there have a plan to keep blonde healthy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabella S

Reaction score
I've a client whos ends have now started to tangle I can tell she is getting sick of having it blonde for the shear fact that its getting tougher and tougher for her brush at home. I have reccomended regular trims which seem to be helping but ultimately I can see her struggling with keeping it blonde or just cutting alot of the old blonde (ends) off. Is there a plan any coloritsts out follow when starting and maintaining blonding? I would love to know.

I've a client whos ends have now started to tangle I can tell she is getting sick of having it blonde for the shear fact that its getting tougher and tougher for her brush at home. I have reccomended regular trims which seem to be helping but ultimately I can see her struggling with keeping it blonde or just cutting alot of the old blonde (ends) off. Is there a plan any coloritsts out follow when starting and maintaining blonding? I would love to know.
Is she using a good quality shampoo and conditioner? Does she use any kind of treatments? What do you use on her hair to achieve her colour?
Could she minimise heat styling?
Is it her water?
There are so many things that can contribute to this kind of issue besides the colour.

Olaplex, the shampoo, conditioner bond builder maybe others too. Check 'em out. NOT affiliated in any way

Olaplex during application and Olaplex aftercare products. As long as the application was low and slow then that's your best chance of keeping the best condition.

Heat styling, toner shampoos, poor diet, hard water and even environment can all contribute to poor condition of hair.

If client is struggling to keep up maintenance I'd recommend something to better suit her lifestyle x

Totally agree with everyone - Olaplex is a huge help! Also, is your client using a lovely moisturising professional shampoo and conditioner? My blonde clients who take my suggestion of using something like Kérastase, Redken, Philip Kingsley, or similar high quality brands do reap the benefits. Another suggestion is that it could be caused by your clients shampooing technique. Perhaps she’s piling all her hair up on top of her head to wash it, and therefore tangling it. Maybe she would get fewer tangles if she gentle massaged or squeezed her shampoo through her ends instead like we would at the basin. The recipe for healthy blonde is simply never overlap bleach, good quality aftercare and the use of olaplex, and trims of course which you mentioned you’re already keeping on top of. Hope this helps and that your client is able to carry on being blonde xx

Can you believe that hair burned from bleaching, and I closed almost she own hair with extensions.

1 year she keep away hair from heat styling, bleaching, and any of cosmetic stufs which are known as best..

She was putting just one mixture to her own hair and extensions which is I gave to her recepite. So I do 2 time extensions to her (6 month used) and when I remove extensions 1 year later (which was 2. time extensions) and eveybody has shocked when saw that dramaticaly changed and hair repair itself from root to end.

When I took photo there was not any styling process or any hair serum cream, spray ot etc. It’s her own natural hair after washed with sampoo and simply conditioner hair cream after wash :)

Attachments

• 95EDD5AA-8047-4A71-B83D-C77B745AFA86.jpeg
    95EDD5AA-8047-4A71-B83D-C77B745AFA86.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 80
  • CC309F47-22C3-4F81-BB00-79FA0FC9DACC.jpeg
    CC309F47-22C3-4F81-BB00-79FA0FC9DACC.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 79
  • C12E3531-E904-4A1D-9A75-80F62A686620.jpeg
    C12E3531-E904-4A1D-9A75-80F62A686620.jpeg
    875.6 KB · Views: 74
Is she using a good quality shampoo and conditioner? Does she use any kind of treatments? What do you use on her hair to achieve her colour?
Could she minimise heat styling?
Is it her water?
There are so many things that can contribute to this kind of issue besides the colour.

Yes all salon grade hair products, I usually reccomend a hair mask twice a month and leave-in conditioner for regular use.
I believe in low and slow as well so I've just hilighted her hair for about 2 years now with 2-3 months break in between and we've finally achieved the perfect not too warm/ not too cool blonde. Call me crazy but I never learned to leave ends out of the foil( for fear of a line of demarcation) perhaps I've over processed them. I'm not very expirienced with blondes that's why I've asked for help.
As far as heat styling it's very minimal about every 2 weeks. I've advised her to just air dry as much as possible.
For water we live in the same city so I know it's not hard water.

Olaplex, the shampoo, conditioner bond builder maybe others too. Check 'em out. NOT affiliated in any way
Okay I needed to know what the hype was about so I purchased it. I tried it on my own hair which is very dry (cuz you know we're the guinea pigs) and nothing. I followed the instructions closely and after 1 use I didn't see any difference so now it's just been sitting on my shelf. *sigh*

Olaplex during application and Olaplex aftercare products. As long as the application was low and slow then that's your best chance of keeping the best condition.

Heat styling, toner shampoos, poor diet, hard water and even environment can all contribute to poor condition of hair.

If client is struggling to keep up maintenance I'd recommend something to better suit her lifestyle x
I needed to know what was the hype about Olaplex so I purchased it and tried it on myself. I was pretty disappointed as I followed the instructions closely. I'm just talking about the stand alone treatment. I have also used it in bleach and I feel that it just slows the process down. As you know blonding can take time and meticulousness.
Heat is kept to twice a month is that, I've now reccomended to just air dry.
Seeing as we live in the same city I know she doesn't have hard water.

Re-reading this made me realize that I've been overlapping bleach when hilighting her hair since the beggining. Honestly I cannot deal with a line of demarcation especially when it would be so obvious. Like I legit could not let her leave looking like that. I guess I thought it was ok because there was so much time in between our visits, plus we wanted to initially go light blonde; it's on me for not stopping once the goals were reached *sigh* I also do find that although at first my clients are hesitant with going lighter after they get used to it, they like it. But as the professional I should responsible to tell them no when it needs to be said. Thank you for bestowing your knowledge on me <3

Re-reading this made me realize that I've been overlapping bleach when hilighting her hair since the beggining. Honestly I cannot deal with a line of demarcation especially when it would be so obvious. Like I legit could not let her leave looking like that. I guess I thought it was ok because there was so much time in between our visits, plus we wanted to initially go light blonde; it's on me for not stopping once the goals were reached *sigh* I also do find that although at first my clients are hesitant with going lighter after they get used to it, they like it. But as the professional I should responsible to tell them no when it needs to be said. Thank you for bestowing your knowledge on me <3
Glad to help 💙 also don’t beat yourself up - sometimes it’s okay to use your judgement and carefully overlap onto a healthy section of hair that’s not quite light enough or has a bit of a band! That’s alright, just make sure not to overlap onto any hair that’s already lovely and light, and do use olaplex for extra protection if you can 😁

Also I know you mentioned about demarcation lines, but a lot of the time you’d be surprised at how well everything blends together if you’re weaving finely and just feathering gently into any darker areas left over from last time 😁

It is, for me blondes are a constant puzzle tweaking where I need to.

I’ve been using guy tang big 9 instead of bleach, so much kinder to the hair & gives a shine! All my clients hair is in so much better condition - would never go back to bleach x

Okay I needed to know what the hype was about so I purchased it. I tried it on my own hair which is very dry (cuz you know we're the guinea pigs) and nothing. I followed the instructions closely and after 1 use I didn't see any difference so now it's just been sitting on my shelf. *sigh*

Olaplex ISN’T A CONDITIONER so won’t affect the outer cuticle layer at all. It repairs broken bonds inside the hair shaft, so making it healthier and stronger and less prone to breakage.

You still need to use moisturising treatments if your hair is dry.

I’ve been using guy tang big 9 instead of bleach, so much kinder to the hair & gives a shine! All my clients hair is in so much better condition - would never go back to bleach x

You are using bleach. Lightener is another name for bleach.
Bleach comes in powder or creme formulas to be mixed with developer (peroxide).

Have you been telling clients that you’re not using bleach on their hair? If so, you need to tell them the truth.

That does sound interesting! Do you like his Mydentity colors too ?

That does sound interesting! Do you like his Mydentity colors too ?
No I’ve not tried the tints as When I looked prob a year ago, could only buy in bulk X

I use the mydentity colours mostly for either pinks silvers lilacs etc Toners Demi’s and peremants are all nice and have a lovely lavender scent 😊

Olaplex ISN’T A CONDITIONER so won’t affect the outer cuticle layer at all. It repairs broken bonds inside the hair shaft, so making it healthier and stronger and less prone to breakage.

You still need to use moisturising treatments if your hair is dry.
Yes I understand that but I still thought that it would make my hair feel different, was I expecting too much? If so would I have to pair the stand alone treatment with a deep conditioning after?

Latest posts

Back