Do any of you have regrets being self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi,
Ive recently started my own mobile nail buisness,i was only originally planning to do it about three days a week ,i also have another part time job working for a domestic cleaning company which most days i enjoy as ive been going to the same customers for a while and have built up a relationship with them,and im always welcomed with T n biscuits with most of them,which is really nice.

Anyhow i had an inccident with my boss earlier on this year when my daughter had chicken pox,i was made to feel really guilty because she had to cancel my cleans as i couldnt make it in ,and she had no one to do them,which i was really annoyed about.

Now my daughter is off from school this week as shes ill,my mum was going to look after her tomorrow whilst i go back to work,which i told them id be back wednesday,ive now gone down with the flu myself,so phoned in today and got told i couldnt take the time off coz someone else is on holiday,and theres no one to cover my cleans,shes now twisted things if i do a clean next week for one of the other girls she ll do one of my jobs tomorrow,so i will only have 2 hours work tomorrow,' I can do it any time during the day as maybe when i get up in the morning and start moving about i might be feeling better by later'she said to me ,so like an idiot i said yes,but im really annoyed about it,every time my daughter or im ill i get made to feel sorry for her buisness.

So this has got me thinking,im doing manis,peds and Bio gel nails at the moment im qualified to do acrylics ,and have booked an Ezflow acrylic conversion in two weeks time,so as soon as ive done that im gonna advertise to do acrylics aswell,im thinking of jacking my cleaning job but i still want to do some domestic cleaning as i want to remain doing a physical job aswell,so im thinking of advertising to do that as well and combine the two,my problem is im a big worrier,im worried about the quiet months and the biggest worrier is the tax bill at the end of the tax year would i be able to afford it.

So could you please let me know if any of you have had regrets beeing self employed,how do you cope with ya quiet times ,tax bill,and wether you think i should just go for it,i suppose if i left my current job on good terms i could ask if i could do temp work with her till things picked up in the quiet months.xx

i would love to read this Debbie but with no paragraphs it hurts my eyes and i cant read it properly..sorry x

well firstly u should tell your boss to go jump lol its not ure fault if you or your family are ill! The only regret I have about being self employed is not having the chance to work in a salon employed to build on my skills and build up a client base, its really hard going trying to get known I think.
As long as you keep records of all your in comings and out goings, and if your worried about tax just go along to your local tax office. hths xx

i would love to read this Debbie but with no paragraphs it hurts my eyes and i cant read it properly..sorry x
Ive put a few paragraphs in it now ,let me know if its better,thanx.:)

Sometimes what starts as a part time job can end up being more full time so maybe you could give up the cleaning job later?
If you keep accounts you should be able to sort out your own tax bill and you will soon figure out what you can claim for and also have a vague idea of how much it will be....usually the first year isn't too bad while you are building up your clients.
Hope it goes ok and don't forget to ask your clients from the other job if they want any treatments! x

Debbie, if you don't go for it you may forever regret it.

With regard to quiet months, there is no reason to assume you will have any, because, clients who wear nail enhancements are generally regular, every 2-3 weeks.

With regard to tax, you can earn about 5k before you even pay tax, and when you are self employed there are many expenses you can deduct before you pay tax. It would be worth your while using an accountant, then they can recommend what records you should keep and how, and also they can explain what you can and can't claim for.

I would also recommend you set aside an amount each week for tax, and an amount that is your 'holiday pay.'

Think about what you need to earn, and how many sets of nails that equates to, or how many hours of cleaning that equates to, or a combination of both, then make a plan as to how you can achieve that, and then how you can exceed it :)

I have never had any regrets being self employed ( well maybe a few as a salon owner and having to rely on people other than myself, but that's a whole new thread)

....you know when you are an employee....you pull the accasional sickie (hangover...come on we've all done it)....you can't do that when you're s/e, your sickness seems to take on a lesser form because you know you won't get paid unless you work and you are letting your loyal clients down.....

The other thing about being s/e is that you can work around you, choose your own hours, work when you want to etc etc.....

Don't worry about tax....you pay it when you're employed but don't miss it.....provided you put something by, you'll be fine!

So could you please let me know if any of you have had regrets beeing self employed,NO NO NO, NONE AT ALL

how do you cope with ya quiet times WISH I HAD SOME,

tax bill, STRAIGHTFORWARD REALLY AND I'M CRAP AT MATHS

and wether you think i should just go for it, ER . . . YES!!!!!!!!!:hug:

i suppose if i left my current job on good terms i could ask if i could do temp work with her till things picked up in the quiet months.xx

Good luck xxx

you don't state whether you are the only breadwinner, ie dependant on your income to pay all of the bills, etc.

Regrets: none whatsoever.

Tax bill: get a post office account, set up a standing order to pay in monthly to cover your tax bill/quiet time/emergencies. I pay in £75 a month.

Also as mentioned, you're first year you probably won't have to pay out for anything. Remember to keep all of your receipts.

Ditch the bitch and go it alone.

I have never had any regrets being self employed ( well maybe a few as a salon owner and having to rely on people other than myself, but that's a whole new thread)

....you know when you are an employee....you pull the accasional sickie (hangover...come on we've all done it)....you can't do that when you're s/e, your sickness seems to take on a lesser form because you know you won't get paid unless you work and you are letting your loyal clients down.....

That's the thing. You personally are letting people down.
It doesn't look or feel good tbh.

The other thing about being s/e is that you can work around you, choose your own hours, work when you want to etc etc.....

Don't worry about tax....you pay it when you're employed but don't miss it.....provided you put something by, you'll be fine!

Go on Cathie..tell us the new thread if you can, we'd be interested to know how it really is to be the boss.
It may have its perks but I'm sure as hell it also has its downside.:hug:

Ive put a few paragraphs in it now ,let me know if its better,thanx.:)

yes much better thanks x

I love being self employed.

No regrets at all.

I work from home, so sometimes it can get a little over bearing with clients who think its ok to ring at stupid o'clock just cos i am at home anyway...but since i put my foot down about it, it has got better.

I sometimes miss interaction you get with a regular workplace but don't miss the bitching and the boss breathing down my neck.

I love that i am at home as in between clients i can do some washing, put the tea on or just chill.

I love that i am able to take the kids school and pick them up everyday.

I like that i call the shots...i can earn as much as i need to or have time off when is necessary without having to fill in a request for time off form...:lol:

Tax isn't a problem...i do it all online...self assessment. Its alot easier than you think...it really is as simple as putting down everything you earn...then everything you have paid out...the rest is done for you.

There are no risks....i was worried about leaving my job and doing this full time...but Rob just told me to go for it...saying...if it doesn't work out...just get another job....nothing lost.

I would say go for it...put 100% into it....work your butt off....funny but its so more rewarding and you don't mind the hard work when its for your own business...i would never have worked as hard as i do now for my old job....overtime ???...now way ho say !!! :lol:

yes much better thanks x

I love being self employed.

No regrets at all.

I work from home, so sometimes it can get a little over bearing with clients who think its ok to ring at stupid o'clock just cos i am at home anyway...but since i put my foot down about it, it has got better.

I sometimes miss interaction you get with a regular workplace but don't miss the bitching and the boss breathing down my neck.

I love that i am at home as in between clients i can do some washing, put the tea on or just chill.

I love that i am able to take the kids school and pick them up everyday.

I like that i call the shots...i can earn as much as i need to or have time off when is necessary without having to fill in a request for time off form...:lol:

Tax isn't a problem...i do it all online...self assessment. Its alot easier than you think...it really is as simple as putting down everything you earn...then everything you have paid out...the rest is done for you.

There are no risks....i was worried about leaving my job and doing this full time...but Rob just told me to go for it...saying...if it doesn't work out...just get another job....nothing lost.

I would say go for it...put 100% into it....work your butt off....funny but its so more rewarding and you don't mind the hard work when its for your own business...i would never have worked as hard as i do now for my old job....overtime ???...now way ho say !!! :lol:
spot on angie spot on!!!!!! you said it all and saved me writing anything thank you!!!!xxxx

The toughest thing about being self employed and paying rent on premises (not working from home) is the expense of a holiday or time off.

When you take into account the money you don't earn, the double rent you still have to pay (or one rent + mortgage) , then the cost of the holiday. It's a very expensive exercise just to relax.

Also here in AUS, an employer pays into your superannuation, but being self employed means you have to do this yourself (discipline can be difficult). Also we have to pay 2 lots of tax (one for the business and one for personal) + insurance, phone and the usual overheads. Home salons are not all that popular in AUS, so it's often 2X expenses.

I was self employed 4 yrs ago, mobile nail tech. I loved it but I found it unsociable and also because it is your business you sometimes don't know when to stop and continue to work around clients so you don't turn down the money...sometimes I was still doing nails at 9pm at night miles away from home!

I even had people calling me on my mobile when it was my nans funeral for repairs when they knew where I was but they think that they own you!

Saying that I gave up my business and have been employed since and hate not being my own boss. I like getting a full months salary, working 9-5, but you can't put a price on having the freedom of being self employed. I like the feeling that I am continously rewarded for my hard work being self employed yet it rarely gets noticed by my employer. I like feeling fulfilled that I have made a difference and the responsibilities, I like the challenge.

I have just given my notice in at work and am due to open in december my new salon. It is a huge risk but if i don't do it now I never will. I hope this time it is different in the way that I have more experience, I will be doing all aspects of beauty, I will have premises with set open/closing times and I have the support of all family and friends.

I will end with the saying "Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all!":lol:

The Inland Revenue are really great at helping you out with tax stuff, after all they want to make it easy for you to pay up! The run some free of charge workshops that explain self assessment and what you can claim and even show you how to keep your records.

I have a home based salon at the bottom of my garden and have a seperate land line and keep a seperate mobile phone for the business then when I finish for the day I switch them both to voicemail.

I do still work part time (2 mornings a week) as it pays the bills but I have only just started out so when I get more clients I may give it up? But I think any employer that gets stroppy when you are ill is just not worth working for, and they surely can't refuse you to take time off sick?

Katty B is spot on, better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all, you may forever regret it if not!

Good luck!

Thankyou for your replies,i have been looking into things and thinking things over,i was going to give my notice in as soon as ive done my acrylic conversion,the only problem im worried about is my contract says we have to give 1 weeks notice.Earlier on thIs year we went over to monthly pay,so i need to ask her how much notice ive got to give,im sure she ll try and make me give a months notice (even though she hasnt changed our contracts.)If i leave after a months notice it going to bring me up too close to christmas,im just worried i might get lots of interest for nails like for xmas parties ,and then after xmas, no one.:rolleyes:

Aw i just dont know what to do ,i dont know wether to start up this side of xmas or wait untill about April when everyones got money in their pockets again,is it going to be the right time of year to build up a client base or should i wait till later next year?

I'd say go for it now! It's exactly what I'm about to do. From what I hear - Xmas is the big earner. A great opportunity to create a great impression and show the clients what you can do. With any luck, these clients will become your regulars.

Regarding the contract. It's legally binding. Unless you have received a copy of another one then the one with 1 weeks notice is the one to go by.

Your boss wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you disputed ( I know this from a law exam I did). And lets face it, I doubt very much she would be bothered to take it any further due to it being legally binding. She should know that.

Hope this helps.

L-J
xx

P.s: Don't ASK her how much notice you need to give. TELL her you will be handing in your one weeks notice as per your contract.

But If I Tell Her Im Going To Give Her One Weeks Notice ,and She Says Ive Got To Give Her A Month,what Can She Do?shes Quite A Good Blabber ..if You Know What I Mean...so Im Sure She Ll Try And Blab Her Way Out Of It...and If I Give Her My Notice For A Week,can She Stop My Money?she Runs The Company Herself So Theres No One Else To Turn To There.

before you stop working go to c.a.b..........i think she can TRY and stop your wages but you can fight for it....did you have contract? check that aswell.....so what if she has big mouth...if you know that so does everyone else!!! anyway.....everyone will know your better than her xxxx

She can't do anything if you've got a contract. Take the contract with you (make a copy just in case!)

If she stopped your pay you could take her to the small claims court and I think there's also an employment tribunal, she wouldn't last two minutes! (Don't quote me on the exact words) She's still an employer and has to act as other employers do no matter how big or small the company is.

A great website to look on is www.i-resign.com.

The way I'd play it is....

Call a meeting, or a way of getting in contact with her.
Spark up conversation, state the reasons you want to hand in your notice. Look at the website above for help on that.
If she no, 1 month, pull out your contract etc. If she still says no still, say you'll have no reason but to seek advice. But for now you'll work your one weeks notice.

Seriously, look at that website though, lots of great advice!

Latest posts

Back