Do any other employers...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of you sound like great salon owners, I am sure most salon owners are good at what they do and care about how they treat their staff.
Can I just say, that some of us - employees have experienced some problems with our employers (most of the time it's about legal stuff) and that's when we post/ask for advice.
I work in a salon, been there for more than 4months and have still no contract. I was told I am not allowed to take any sick days. (not that I ever do- I haven't had a sick day off in 10years) I was paid cash in hand for the first 3months. I was promised training - I haven't had any.
Would you call this a good salon owner?
And yes, I am greatful to have a job in this tough economy times, but surely I am allowed to be treated fairly? All I want is a contract ( can't take such a long time to do one as she employes few other girls who already have one) and training I was promised.
I just wanted to give you my experience and I really look up to all salon owners as it is a really hard job to do.

Come to think of it, I suspect the irony of the whole thing is that the good bosses are on salon geek because they are the ones who care about what they're doing.

I can totally relate to what you say here (I think you've given me some advice on this sort of thing on previous threads :) )....there are some people who are not doing a good/fair job of owning a salon.

But yeah, when people (like me lol) complain about the bleak/illegal side of the industry on salon geek, it's with the view that I'm talking about the sort of salon owners who probably aren't on salon geek so I do apologise if any of my negative comments about salon owners has upset any of the salon owners on here who are probably doing a fantastic job :-D

I do have to say, although i agree, im always the bad guy if i dont give someone the morning off because theyre hungover...however, I have previously asked on here about a salon owner i worked for before i started my own business. She was whole y unprofessional... In fact, an absolute nightmare, no payslips, no holiday, some cash in hand when she didnt want to run things through the books....

So, although im sure all of us on here are excellent ;)
There are some bad ones out there giving us bosses a bad name!!

this!

I think the industry should be more regulated, that way, as long as it's all legal, everyone's a winner :)

So if a stylist/therapist/whatever rented off you at, lets keep it simple, £100 a week, in a VAT registered salon would that not cover it of they then have to pay VAT on the rent too. Im confused where you say 20% of their takings? Although surely eventually they will have to give a % to tax man when they put their tax return in? (That's if they're bothering to declare in the first place)

No, if a therapist rented on a 50/50 split, and takes 1000, the first 200 goes as VAT, the remainder would be split 50/50. She then pays tax on £400.
VAT is on turnover, not profit.

No, if a therapist rented on a 50/50 split, and takes 1000, the first 200 goes as VAT, the remainder would be split 50/50. She then pays tax on £400.
VAT is on turnover, not profit.

Ahh I get it. Oh to have £400 to pay tax on in the first place :sad:
A girl can dream..... lol x

I'm having a blonde moment on this VAT discussion.
If a therapist is self-employed and renting a space from a salon, then even if she is under the VAT level (think it's £73000, so 100% likely), she will still be liable for paying 20% of her gross earnings before she gets her 50/50 split?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm obviously missing something.

I'm having a blonde moment on this VAT discussion.
If a therapist is self-employed and renting a space from a salon, then even if she is under the VAT level (think it's £73000, so 100% likely), she will still be liable for paying 20% of her gross earnings before she gets her 50/50 split?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm obviously missing something.

In a vat registered salon, yes unless she is paying a flat rate rent. Percentage splits don't work in large vat registered salons as vat has to be taken before the split, not before.

You would "laugh in their face?"
You sound like employee of the year:Scared:

Guess what, I have not had even one day off sick in 15 years.
The amount of time off sick staff take has at times led me to beleive that they eat out of dustbins:eek:

Anyone "laughed in my face" they would be signing on.

People with you attitude is exactly why this thread was posted.

That's another of the joys of being the business owner. If you're sick it's tough. I had pleuracy for three months and only went off work when I was taken to hospital. And then I had less than a week off. Other than that I've not been off sick in 10 years.

It's hard being the boss sometimes. The rest of the time it's amazing!

I understand it's a tricky one when it comes to sickness, but I was quite shocked when at the beginning of my employment I was told I am not allowed to take any sick days.
I am not a kind of person who just doesn't go to work because I don't feel like it. I would never want to let my employers down and would never ever take advantage of sick days.
But - I am only a human, right? What if I really get that sick that I am unable to work - I would be dreading phoning my employer up because I was told "not to dare" take any sick days. When you are an employer you have responsibilities towards your employees and one of them is their right to have sick days.
It's just like in any other job.

I understand it's a tricky one when it comes to sickness, but I was quite shocked when at the beginning of my employment I was told I am not allowed to take any sick days.
I am not a kind of person who just doesn't go to work because I don't feel like it. I would never want to let my employers down and would never ever take advantage of sick days.
But - I am only a human, right? What if I really get that sick that I am unable to work - I would be dreading phoning my employer up because I was told "not to dare" take any sick days. When you are an employer you have responsibilities towards your employees and one of them is their right to have sick days.
It's just like in any other job.

This isn't a question to you Andrea its a question to anyone who knows the answer.

When employing staff is it acceptable to say a therapist can indeed be sick but that sick pay is not paid by the salon?

Unless the salon owner sends the therapist home herself maybe?

Thank you.

i love this thread!
i find it so difficult to explain to anyone about the pressure of being a salon owner. I feel that it is my obligation as an employer to ensure that there is enough work and wages to cover all of my therapists bills, direct debits, mortgages, etc But I will go without meals, paying my own bills, days off, nights out, etc, etc
I spend my evenings and 'days off' doing paperwork, washing and drying laundry, going to the wholesalers, working on marketing plans, updating the website, social media updates, cleaning, decorating, stock taking, the list is endless........
and what do i get in return for giving my employees a job in a great environment? lateness, sickness, thinking that because they have an hour available in the appointment book means an extended coffee break!!!!

It was only the other day I was cleaning the toilet that i realised that two of my therapist were sat having a coffee and gossiping with each other, on my time!!!! Is it really too much to ask, as your employer, that you do what you have been paid for?
How many times do we have to tell you to wear a CLEAN uniform, TIDY up after yourselves, CHANGE the toilet roll if you notice it has run out!!!!!

And if that isn't enough we get to deal with 'conflict resolution!' I'm worrying how I'm going to afford the biz rates this month, but yes, thats right, I would love nothing more to hear you winge about how you dont get on with another member of staff!!!!!

Don't get me wrong I love owning my own salon, and we now have harmony back in the salon, but for once i would love employees to think about the bigger picture!!!

I would also like to add that I in my first ever job as a beauty therapist I work extremely hard.
I was never late, I always stayed late making sure everything was clean and set up for the next day, i cleaned the toilets, I cleaned up whatever was in the sink, I spent countless hours scrubbing wax off the floors, I came in every day wearing an immaculate uniform, my hair was always clean and pinned up away from my face, my makeup was flawless, I tried to retail to EVERY client, I tried to upgrade EVERY treatment, I tried to rebook EVERY client, I completed a thourogh consultation with EVERY client, I NEVER cut a treatment short, I never walked passed a glass, piece of rubbish, mess and didnt tidy it away.

I used my spare time to learn about the products and ingrediants, I asked loads of questions and tried to learn as much as I could.

I work very hard with very little praise, and never complained, in my mind I was just doing my job, and 6 months after I was promoted to become the salon manager.

I think what I'm trying to get at, is if you want what the salon owner has you need to spend more time working towards it and learning as much as possible, rather than wingeing about having to do the job you are paid for!!!

This isn't a question to you Andrea its a question to anyone who knows the answer.

When employing staff is it acceptable to say a therapist can indeed be sick but that sick pay is not paid by the salon?

Thank you.

It depends on what is in the contract of employment but it's quite common not to pay for the 1st 3 days of sickness (known as waiting days). In theory it cuts down on the amount off time taken off.

After that, if you don't pay extra sick pay, you still have to pay statutory sick pay. Current amounts for this can be found on the HMRC website.

I would also like to add that I in my first ever job as a beauty therapist I work extremely hard.
I was never late, I always stayed late making sure everything was clean and set up for the next day, i cleaned the toilets, I cleaned up whatever was in the sink, I spent countless hours scrubbing wax off the floors, I came in every day wearing an immaculate uniform, my hair was always clean and pinned up away from my face, my makeup was flawless, I tried to retail to EVERY client, I tried to upgrade EVERY treatment, I tried to rebook EVERY client, I completed a thourogh consultation with EVERY client, I NEVER cut a treatment short, I never walked passed a glass, piece of rubbish, mess and didnt tidy it away.

I used my spare time to learn about the products and ingrediants, I asked loads of questions and tried to learn as much as I could.

I work very hard with very little praise, and never complained, in my mind I was just doing my job, and 6 months after I was promoted to become the salon manager.

I think what I'm trying to get at, is if you want what the salon owner has you need to spend more time working towards it and learning as much as possible, rather than wingeing about having to do the job you are paid for!!!

Hence why you are a salon owner and not an employee now!

I too have been the "star" stylist and biggest earner in EVERY salon I worked in from about age 21.
When I was a young hairdresser, I looked up to the senior stylists like they were Gods! I wanted to be just like them, I certainly didn't resent them, hate them or think I knew more than them.
I just wanted to be good at what I chose to do.

My younger employees seem to have some unfathomable attitudes, for instance, they think they are "owed" something for turning up. They think I should be grateful that they lower themselves to work in my salons, and that nobody has the right to say no to them.
Last 2 times I said no to employees, I got called a Cee U Next Tuesday for my cheekiness.
As said befiore, what is on my mind is the bills, the wages, the general stuff that goes into running my salons and keeping them all safe. I DONT care about their squabbles, their sense of inflated self importance, their boyfriend troubles, or their desire to go out with their mates.
I am not their mum, I dont care about their personal life.
Sorry if all you touchy feely people dont like hearing that, but it is the truth.

People get respect by earning it and acheiving something, not by demanding it.

Thank you.

Hi, I don't pay sick pay. It's in all of my contracts. Also I wouldn't pay them if I sent them home either.
X

Hi, I don't pay sick pay. It's in all of my contracts. Also I wouldn't pay them if I sent them home either.
X

Neither do I, only statutory sick pay.

I too have been the "star" stylist and biggest earner in EVERY salon I worked in from about age 21.
When I was a young hairdresser, I looked up to the senior stylists like they were Gods! I wanted to be just like them, I certainly didn't resent them, hate them or think I knew more than them.

My younger employees seem to have some unfathomable attitudes, for instance, they think they are "owed" something for turning up. They think I should be grateful that they lower themselves to work in my salons, and that nobody has the right to say no to them.
Last 2 times I said no to employees, I got called a Cee U Next Tuesday for my cheekiness.
As said befiore, what is on my mind is the bills, the wages, the general stuff that goes into running my salons and keeping them all safe. I DONT care about their squabbles, their sense of inflated self importance, their boyfriend troubles, or their desire to go out with their mates.
Sorry if all you touchy feely people dont like hearing that, but it is the truth.

Snap! I would do anything to better myself in my job (then and now!)
I have spoke about this with many people and I think it's the way people are brought up now. Many teenagers (not all!) think that they expect everything handed to them, instead of working hard for things.
My ex boss when I was training had a really nice car and not for one minute did I resent him for it, it just made me think "I want that one day" and ever since I have worked my butt off to try and achieve it (still haven't got the nice car!)
Rant over!x

I think it's definitely the way people are being brought up now. Most teenagers and younger people nowadays think they are all owed something. There doesn't seem to be any pride in working hard and doing well for yourself, people want everything handed to them on a plate.

I think it's a reflection of our current society, people want everything fast, fast-food, finance, credit cards, new gadgets, etc. without having to work hard to get it.
I am not an employer, but I have worked as self employed for a long time and even that has been tricky at times, so I have much respect for the salon owners with employees.

This is a good insight into the struggle and tribulations you all as salon owners face. I have had my moments where I have thrown my toys out of the pram without sitting down and thinking logically about it. I realise that it is tough to run a salon, it is not cheap and when you've got staff acting like teething children you're going to feel like smacking your head against a wall (or theirs). I can only say I have worked my hardest to get where I am at 21. It may not seem much to some people but I'm very proud of what I have achieved so far and I can only hope to be in some of your shoes some day. I did my 55+ hours a week. I stayed late. I started early. I worked through lunch breaks. I worked on days I had originally booked as holiday. I did it to build up my client base and to build up my experience. I like to think it has payed off very well. I have a very loyal client base that books me up on a weekly basis. I would never complain about the hours and not getting enough money to mortage a house and fill it with gold. I would be lying if I said I didn't care about the money but I care about the salon and my career more. There is a lot I don't understand when it comes to running a salon but I would hate to think my boss is lynching me behind my back instead of explaining to me why we couldn't have a new hairdryer that week. It sounds like some of you have some rather unpleasant employees but I hate the idea of my boss suffering in silence. Understandably, it's not my right to know if the salon is struggling financially and who am I to be her shoulder to lean on. I'm just a child in some peoples eyes. She made me manager for a reason and it's because I'm passionate about what I do, REALLY passionate about it, and that salon is where I have started from nothing. I care about my boss and I only want the best for her business. If she told me she couldn't afford to pay me for the next month I would still go in every day and work it for free. I have the salon's best interest in my mind when I'm at work, even when I'm not at work, I have my boss' best interest on the mind. I'm sorry if I have my tantrums now and then but I don't like being shut out sometimes when all I'm doing is trying to help. I only hope you know that there are some employees, like myself, who do really appreciate the work you do, the hours and the money you put in. EVERYTHING you put it. It's horrible to think that it is us who makes you feel like this. I will definitely be thinking about this, and all of you salon owners and my own boss, the next time I huff and puff about something.

People get respect by earning it and acheiving something, not by demanding it.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more!

Latest posts

Back