Do any other employers...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snap! I would do anything to better myself in my job (then and now!)
I have spoke about this with many people and I think it's the way people are brought up now. Many teenagers (not all!) think that they expect everything handed to them, instead of working hard for things.
My ex boss when I was training had a really nice car and not for one minute did I resent him for it, it just made me think "I want that one day" and ever since I have worked my butt off to try and achieve it (still haven't got the nice car!)
Rant over!x

I completely agree!
I have had countless apprentices that have expected just that. My last apprentice was working for me for just 4 weeks when she turned round and said that she had learnt everything she needs to know as an apprentice and she really thinks that she should have a wage increase!

You can imagine that I wasn't too happy!

Yes she had done really well in her first 4 weeks and had learnt quite a lot during that time. But could she carry out a thorough consultaion? No! Could she tell me what roseca was? No! Could she tell me what products you would recommend to someone with pigmentation? No! Did she know what pigmentation was? .......you guessed it! No!

She wasn't too happy after I explained to her that she had a lot of training to still do, and that by working hard she would be rewarded with extensive training (paid out of my pocket) and once we had built up a column of her own I would be more than happy to increase her wage.

Unfortunately she turned up to work every day after that conversation with a sullen face and awful attitude, and she had to go!

It annoys me greatly that young people think it is their God given right to be handed everthing on a plate!!!!

It annoys me greatly that young people think it is their God given right to be handed everthing on a plate!!!!

But the thing is, You get given alot if you DON'T work, so if you do actually bother to get off your bum and get a job then you should get more right?! ;)

OR maybe those that don't work should get less, then those that do work will appreciate the opportunity more...

But the thing is, You get given alot if you DON'T work, so if you do actually bother to get off your bum and get a job then you should get more right?! ;)

OR maybe those that don't work should get less, then those that do work will appreciate the opportunity more...

ha ha!!!! maybe they should make Jeremy Kyle even worse and force people to go out and find a job!!!! :lol:

I was brought up with a West of Scotland work ethic, and from the age of 13 I was expected to take on a part time job, there was no such thing as pocket money in our household!!!!
Perhaps I just expect everyone to be the same.........work hard, play hard!!!

It's true about getting more for not working.

My friend knows quite a few people that don't work. Majority of the have children/just had babies. She disappeared off Facebook for a while and the reason was sge was sick of seeing status updates like 'moving into my new house today' or 'just waiting for our new Plasma TV to arrive' and it drove her mad because she knows its all paid for by benefits via us, the taxpayers.

It's true about getting more for not working.

My friend knows quite a few people that don't work. Majority of the have children/just had babies. She disappeared off Facebook for a while and the reason was sge was sick of seeing status updates like 'moving into my new house today' or 'just waiting for our new Plasma TV to arrive' and it drove her mad because she knows its all paid for by benefits via us, the taxpayers.

What they will never have is that amazing feeling of walking into the house you have just bought, or driving your new car out of the garage for the first time.

A telly is just a telly, your self esteem is priceless.

What they will never have is that amazing feeling of walking into the house you have just bought, or driving your new car out of the garage for the first time.

A telly is just a telly, your self esteem is priceless.

I LOVE the feeling that I earn my own living, And nothing's handed to me.

Persianista when I grow up I wanna be just like you :)
If I ever own my salon I will look back through SG and see if any of your posts can help me be the best I can at my job I agree with OP and think if young newbies want it so bad wake up and smell the coffee a dream only comes true if you work really hard to get there quality counts above all else and attitude gets nothing

Last 2 times I said no to employees, I got called a Cee U Next Tuesday for my cheekiness.

I'm sorry....you got called a "cee you next Tuesday"!!

That's disgusting! How disrespectful.

This thread really makes me sad to see all of this bad feeling toward one another. It makes me so grateful to be a self-employed therapist working on my own so I don't have to worry about any of these issues. Which again. Isn't good because one day I aim to open a health club with my partner, but all these posts are putting me off slightly. :-(

VIVA GLAM please come and work for me haha iv just opened my salon and im looking to take on employees i only hope they treat me with the same respect and see me as a friend like u do your boss xxx

I have just closed my salon to concentrate on the teaching side of things, my staff saw the 600 going in the till and would think that they were entitled to 300 hundred off it and proceeded to tell all and sundry on facebook what a cow I was. Yes 600 goes in the till but they dont see the 700 that goes out to pay rent. electric, gas, telephone, rates, advertising.....

I dont remember what a wage was because i never saw one, i treated my staff with respect and treated them to nights out and stuff but I was always the bad one.

VIVA GLAM please come and work for me haha iv just opened my salon and im looking to take on employees i only hope they treat me with the same respect and see me as a friend like u do your boss xxx

Haha bless.

Everything is a case of trial and error. Employees come and employees go. I do believe how you perform as an employee is mainly down to personality. I'm a very giving person, I give 110% in everything I do be it a hair cut or scrubbing the toilet, I'm a team player and I've got a lot of common sense. I don't take the piss and I treat others as I wish to be treated. The same goes for how people treat me; if I'm treated with respect and treated kindly it will be reciprocated.

That's not to say I haven't had my grumbles about my boss but who hasn't. I admit they were unnecessary and after a good night sleep on it I've woke up with a clearer perspective and I have discussed it with her. In any relationship, work or friendship, there's going to be some grievances but anyone mature enough can resolve them without biting eachothers heads off. Everyone has a right to be selfish and stubborn at times but too much is what causes problems.

My boss treats me with respect, she appreciates me and she is very rewarding. She often compliments me on my work and my personal appearance and she has been patient with me when I have been struck down ill and unable to work. She is generous and forgiving. I can talk to her like I can talk to a friend or my own mum. That is the kind of person she is and not because she feels she has to be. I would be the same in return. If anybody disrepects her or her salon I become like her doberman. I won't let anybody treat the salon like a playground or act like they work in Butlins. When she isn't in the salon I will do everything I can to keep everything in order for her. If I could do more for her there I would.

From the day I started working in her salon, as a trainee, I looked up to her and her professionalism. It's a lot to do with her that I work the way I do. I do believe you have to be a bit of a role model to your employees. Everything you put in you should expect out.

Hi all just looking through this thread makes me think Jesus will I ever have what it takes to have my own salon and be a manager of people! I hate seeing apprentices whine about what they should shouldn't get!! I am 25 and only qualified under a year ago, I got less than my minimum entitlement cash in hand and do you know what.... I DID NOT CARE. I was so happy and grateful to be taken on at my age and just wanted to learn and to be fair my boss was fantastic when it came to my little girl being unwell because she knew I'd do anything to be in work I loved it!!! Now unfortunately I had to move down to Dorset as my hubby is in the army and due to lack of experience can't find anyone willing to take me on. When I was leaving my boss wanted me to stay so offered to sort out my wages and put me on the books and told me I could even work school hours to spend more time as a family. But would I go back and work for less again??? You bet your arse I would. You get what you put up with if you ain't happy LEAVE!! some of us would love to be back in a salon. Total respect to you all xxx

Latest posts

Back