Do beauty colleges actually teach anything these days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say in defense of the local college that i went to the teacher that i had for massage and then later on sports massage was very very good and i dont think i could really fault her:) we would get given our assignments and given tips on where to research books internet etc, the following week the assigment would be handed in and checked, the teacher would then ask you questions radomly whilst you were massaging a client, this was to check that you knew about what you had written and that it had not been just copied from somewhere whilst not understanding a word you had writen iykwim. personaly i think collages in general do agood job but it does very much come down to the quality of the teacher and the willingness of the student to want to learn:green:

to many students per class IMO!! for me anyway.. i learnt so much more from my 121 which is pretty obviously the case as its more intense.. but classes u tend to just blend if you dont express your concerns!
not everyone is born with an out there personality, luckily i am not one of those, infact i think my tutor breathed a sigh of relief!

I think a lot of this comes from the particular generation of students. I mean the students who are quite young. There are always exceptions, but...

Many (not all!!!) in this generation have a very strong sense of entitlement - they paid for their degree or certificate and should therefore get it regardless of their performance..... something to be bought not earned....

This attitude is prevalent in all post-secondary institutions over here right now - often their parents come and try to clean things up with their educators in universities and colleges here - even though their children are adults...

The 'positive reinforcement' generation.

There are always lots of wonderful young students - unfortunately they're not the ones who come on here and stand out...

jmho x

All that it takes here is 400 hours of training, then a test.(State Board)
To recieve a manicuring license in California.
The schools basically give direction on what the student needs to pass the boards.
Is that enough? HELL NO!!!
I have, when asked if more education is needed, checked the yes box.
When I ask a students about advanced classes or trade publications they have signed up for, I get a blank look. No idea. They only understand they have to do their time, pass test and go to work to make loads of money.
Many of my clients have sent their daughters to manicuring school, after all, my job is cake, easy to do and quick income.
Many of the young ladies, have gone back to school, gotten married,changed careers.
It's sooooo easy Im training my African Grey parrot!!!:eek:
It was NOT easy, or inexpensive. I use the word inexpensive only most folks around here want it all given to them.
With a good mentor, many bumps can be smoothed over.
With advanced education and true desire, goals may be achieved.:idea:

Flip I don't even understand the question, never mind give an answer!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Can I have that again in English please! No wonder people struggle. Good grief!

When I was doing my training (VTCT) in mani / pedi etc, this was the biggest problem we faced.

The questions were so obscure ! I remember asking the tutor once what the question actually meant as we just couldn't figure it out and even she didn't know !!! :eek: :eek:

I think a lot of the college tutors who teach beauty are not actually that knowledgeable themselves and really shouldn't be teaching the subject.

Besides my depilation course that I did (my tutor was very good) I probably knew more about the subject than the tutors did purely because I did a lot of research / reading and from being on this site.

I don't think the quality of teaching in colleges is any good and I think a lot of students are either used to being spoon fed and expect the same in college, or don't really want to be there in the first place and hence don't care about doing the work themselves.

Marlise

hello all, i just recently joined this site and was one of the people who asked for help with an assignment question, looking back i didnt post my question correctly, i didn't post expecting people to just spoon feed me the anwser i was hoping for some help with site's to visit or books to read to help with the reasearch, because searching google all i could find was scientific anwsers that i didnt understand never mind trying to re-write it in my own words, this site just seemed like the perfect place to ask for help because of all the professionals on here!!!:cry:

I think a lot of this comes from the particular generation of students. I mean the students who are quite young. There are always exceptions, but...

Many (not all!!!) in this generation have a very strong sense of entitlement - they paid for their degree or certificate and should therefore get it regardless of their performance..... something to be bought not earned....

This attitude is prevalent in all post-secondary institutions over here right now - often their parents come and try to clean things up with their educators in universities and colleges here - even though their children are adults...

There are always lots of wonderful young students - unfortunately they're not the ones who come on here and stand out...

jmho x
I work part time in a library and almost every second student that comes in expects you to hand them the answers for their uni assignments. They will actually hand over their assignment info and expect you to find the books and the info in the books they need. When you show them the area they need to look in, they say 'no, i need this info' & I say, 'this is the area, you need to look in the books in the index which will show you what pages to look up.' I've had people walk out because I wouldn't do it for them.

And what ****s me even more is when they can't be bothered to come in, they send in their mother or father. All I can think is that they are paying for the course and want to make sure their child passes. Oh, and even worse is when they come in and type up the assignment for their child because the kid is too busy at Seaworld with their mates etc. The parents earn the qualifications for their kids.

I worked 4 jobs to pay for my massage course so this kind of behaviour really pisses me off. All through my massage course I sat at at the front next to the lecturer and if I didn't understand anything I asked until I did - even if I had to ask the same thing 6 different ways til I got it.

He was really good because when doing prac work, if someone asked a question, he would let the whole class know the answer and show them what to do.

jmho x

This was the case in my class. One of the girls failed her certificate 3 course (because she was lazy and did no work/study at all), so we were all very surprised to see her in cert 4 the next semester.

We found out a few weeks later that her father went into the admin office and abused them for failing her and demanded she be enrolled in cert 4. "It's not her fault the tutor failed her because she was jealous of her looks" he said.:eek:

After all this she dropped out because she 'just wanted to learn makeup' her words

Ah now I hadn't thought of that! Thanks Theresa! But I do feel that too much is left to being looked up by the student in a book, rather than actual face to face teaching. Some people (like myself) can cope with this. However how can we be sure that all students really understand the answers they give when basically they just copy it from a book? If I don't understand something then I keep asking to the point of being annoying until I do grasp it ... but I know many are too scared to ask and so they aren't learning - they just copy well!

I agree with what your saying but if the student is too afraid to ask questions in a class environment what happens when they're left alone with a client in the salon and they are too afraid to ask for help when they need it.

We all know that college is just the beginning and you learn so much in the salon when you first start working - if you ask the questions and are willing to learn.

I guess my point is that if students can't cope with the college environment yet, they may not be ready to start in a working environment. Or they will not benefit from it as much as others would.

I work part time in a library and almost every second student that comes in expects you to hand them the answers for their uni assignments. They will actually hand over their assignment info and expect you to find the books and the info in the books they need. When you show them the area they need to look in, they say 'no, i need this info' & I say, 'this is the area, you need to look in the books in the index which will show you what pages to look up.' I've had people walk out because I wouldn't do it for them.

And what ****s me even more is when they can't be bothered to come in, they send in their mother or father. All I can think is that they are paying for the course and want to make sure their child passes. Oh, and even worse is when they come in and type up the assignment for their child because the kid is too busy at Seaworld with their mates etc. The parents earn the qualifications for their kids.

I worked 4 jobs to pay for my massage course so this kind of behaviour really pisses me off. All through my massage course I sat at at the front next to the lecturer and if I didn't understand anything I asked until I did - even if I had to ask the same thing 6 different ways til I got it.

He was really good because when doing prac work, if someone asked a question, he would let the whole class know the answer and show them what to do.

It's like I said, a lot of students want you to spoon feed them the answers etc.

I think it also stems from the school education they get. Due to government pressures etc, schools need to reach a certain pass rate target etc etc. and I think teachers are just giving students the info just so that they get the work done and can pass and the school can then get its gold star.

When I did my degree, the Uni library became my second home. I honestly spent more time at the library than I did at home !

I found some assignments "easier" than others because I understood the subject better or liked the subject better, and then there were assignments that I literally sat in the library crying because I couldn't get my head around them or was really struggling to write an essay of 4000 words that made any sense etc.

Through out this, no one helped me. Even the lecturers wouldn't give you much help (well, at least the ones I had at Uni in anyway). They were extremely cold hearted :lol:

School was the same for me. I put in the hard craft, did all my work on my own, studied, did assignments, projects etc etc. No one helped me, and all the marks I got were my own and due to my own hard work.

I also find parents who do their children's homework or school projects for them ignorant. By doing your child's work for them, how are they learning anything ? Do you honestly think you are doing them a favour or helping them ?

By doing stuff like that, kids expect things for them to be handed on a gold platter :irked: :irked: :irked:

The same attitude then spills into the work place if they can be bothered to get a job and then we are stuck with snotty little kids at work who don't' want to be there and who don't want to work and would much rather be at home at the age of 20 and get mommy and daddy to look after them !

IT'S JUST WRONG !

OK, rant over :o

Marlise

My experience of training at an expensive (way over priced) private school was that some of the tutors (some were excellent and inspiring) had not got enough practical up to date real life experience themselves as they had been teaching straight out of training or for years since and so not actually been therapists themselves. Many questions I asked could not be answered and practical explanations were not adaptable to real life situations that you come across as a therapist.

I also found that the CIDESCO and CIBTAC syllabus was out of date. Some of the questions posted seem like they are not anything that you would use day to day as a therapist.

I learnt mostly from text books. I was inspired mainly by a mature therapist I knew independently.

I think people would learn more if the tutors were inspiring. :hug:

hello all, i just recently joined this site and was one of the people who asked for help with an assignment question, looking back i didnt post my question correctly, i didn't post expecting people to just spoon feed me the anwser i was hoping for some help with site's to visit or books to read to help with the reasearch, because searching google all i could find was scientific anwsers that i didnt understand never mind trying to re-write it in my own words, this site just seemed like the perfect place to ask for help because of all the professionals on here!!!:cry: It is!

Don't take it personally lovey - no-one is having a go at you directly! You've clarified what you sort of help you are after and that is the sort of information we are more than happy to give :hug:.

Honestly though, you wouldn't believe the number of people who join here and ask us to answer their college assignments for them :eek: - they aren't interested in doing the work, just getting the answers.......

This isn't a critism of you it's more a critism of the colleges for not making things clear.......

hth's

I think people would learn more if the tutors were inspiring. :hug:

I think that is true of so much of the education system in the UK though. teachers need to make learning fun too.

Jellytot as I said in my opening statement, this is not aimed at anyone who has ever asked for help in an assignment question ... it was really just an observation that seems to be so many colleges setting questions with no help on where to get the answer, and not actually TEACHING students what they need to learn ... just go read it in a book and teach yourself and really that's my main concern

yup Julie, where I went to college they had beacon status too which is why I chose it. I was so disappointed in the level of teaching, 50% of the course had dropped out by the end.

Don't these beauty tutors teach anything these days? Why not just give the students a big text book, a huge list of questions and tell them to get on with it. At least it would be one step further than many seem to be doing already, at least they would have a text book. Most seem to just give the questions with no help of where the heck to find the resources to find the answers.

Is it laziness? Is it lack of resources? Is it a lack of properly trained tutors? Is it how our education really has ended up - a load of questions with no actual teaching?

Sorry this is somewhere between a rant outloud and a topic for discussion. Does anyone have the answer ... or at least tell me where I should look for it? lol!!!

I just spent three years at college and learnt lots and lots but then I was 39 when I started and did seem to spend a lot more time studying that a lot of my younger friends. We had a lot of resources at my college to help with studying, books, computers, helpful tutors, etc. We also helped each other.

Some of the questions that appear on this site do appear to me to be stuff that they should have been given at college or be able to find easily in a text book or on line.

Perhaps I just went to a better college!

Trish :hug:

Perhaps I just went to a better college!

Trish :hug:

It really does seem to be a bit of a lottery that's for sure. I think a lot comes down to the commitment of the student too - if you get a good tutor AND a committed student then hey presto, Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt - but a poor tutor and a poor student .... god help the industry.

Well, I've said this many times before on this forum - my college left me wanting and lacking in confidence! The second tutor we had (a class of 8) because the first one left, passed us in sculptures when we didn't have a clue! Her excuse? She said they weren't used in industry! How bad is that? Now, of course, since joining this site I know differently.

The teaching was supposed to be in a salon environment yet during the periods when we had theory, exams, assessments etc, we were constantly interrupted by other students from other classes going through the cabinets for products. And...let the door slam on the way out! Every time. Well I did have a word with the powers that be and said that it was actually very, very distracting and if someone was having a brazilian wax in a salon, would any of the staff be allowed to just enter the room at any time? :irked: So you can see why 2 students left during the course (9 months) and out of the 6 that were left, I am the only one doing nails. The teaching was abysmal, left to our own devices most of the time, coming into the classroom half-an-hour late every night, telling us to get prepared for next week's lessons and then when it came to it, taught us something different! And to think I paid a lot of money for this so-called professional teaching!! I could go on and on, but how long have you all got! lol! :lol: Rant over!!!

I'll try to answer that honestly and hopefully with out offending. Some beauty colleges teach absolutely nothing at all. The outlines and expectations of major colleges and universities are so outdated that it is impossible to teach any thing beyond basic fundamentals. The requirements for education and the approved textbooks can be out of date also. Most of the educators are required to take continuing education classes themselves, but it can be anything that the college offers. I'm not sure why a cosmetology educator should get continuing education credits for underwater cake decorating, but they do.

The students coming in our doors are different also. The younger students seem to be more needy. They need constant encouragement and one on one instruction. They don't seem to be able to make independant decisions or try things on their own after a brief demonstration or explanation.

I've said before, I'm lucky. 1. I'm in a privately owned school, we still have to meet or exceed government regulations for education, but we have a little more control over our cirriculum. 2. Our privately owned school is my family- if I or one of the other instructors wants a change or has a concern, we can call a meeting with the parents and things are changed. 3. We have a great staff, if we've discussed changes and made a plan to implement them we don't have to worry, our staff is all on the same page; someone's always got your back.

Even though our accrediting agency requires continuing education for instructors, it isn't as specific as what our school owner requires. She brings in classes to help us with our weaker areas- if we need help on lesson preparation or cirriculum outline, those are what she brings in.

With out a good educator, no matter how good their technical skills, you won't have a good education. Unless the info can be presented in a manner that catches interest, involves 2 or more senses and can be applied or reniforced in a positive manner, learning does not take place.

Is it all the college? No, but that does play a big part. (go international- same tuition applies- I know a great school!)

Here in BC, Canada, the training to be an esthetician is about 7 months, full time. My class had 15 girls. Throughout our training, we went through three different instructers, so every few months, we had a brand new teacher. When I left, I went on to take my nail course again (and pay for it again!) because the training was so poor. One of the teachers didn't even know the difference between a gel product and a l&p!

Latest posts

Back