Do clients still ask for normal nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah P

Reaction score
I have recently qualified and am loving my Gelish but just wondering if I should also be offering manicures with normal polish.

Do people still have regular manicures?

I don't want to fork out on a load of nail polish if its likely I'll only be asked for gels, but also don't want to not buy it if there is still a market out there.

If I am going to so regular manicures too I thought I'd go for OPI as I have used them on me and like them. Although having said that I am going to see what All That Jazz is about first. Are there any others that people would recommend?

I still use regular polish as not trained in soak off gel's yet, go on my course in October, but use a lot of regular polishes on extensions still.

I have recently qualified and am loving my Gelish but just wondering if I should also be offering manicures with normal polish.

Do people still have regular manicures?

I don't want to fork out on a load of nail polish if its likely I'll only be asked for gels, but also don't want to not buy it if there is still a market out there.

If I am going to so regular manicures too I thought I'd go for OPI as I have used them on me and like them. Although having said that I am going to see what All That Jazz is about first. Are there any others that people would recommend?

I hardly use any regular polish myself, more now I do enhancements however. I have opi Morgan Taylor Essie, want to pick up some vinylux and all that jazz next- I'm more a colour than brand girl with polish too many choices! X

I have only ever had 1 request in the 6 years I've been offering treatments (and that was an old lady).. I applied Bio Sculpture Gel & once she'd tried that she was converted...

Yes we still do a fair bit of normal manis in our salon x

We do quite a lot of regular manicures, but we don't offer extensions, only Shellac and the reg manis. We now have a good reputation for helping grow the natural nail, and so I think regular manis goes with that. We also do a lot of pedis with regular varnish as a lot of people don't want to bother with Shellac on toes.

Vicki x

Ive done 4 in 18 months, Im mobile & like sleeping beauty I introduce them to Bio. Although I do have some clients who like just a file & polish on their toes! Xx

i dont do many manicures but a few pedicures with normal polish and lots of file and polishes. Some clients like the convenience of taking off themself at home but still come every few weeks for polish. I do more since investing in vinylux x

That's great. Thank you peeps :)

I had been wondering about investing in some Vinylux. Is it as good as it says it is?

At the moment I am only gelish trained and don't do any extensions/acrylics. I hope to do training in the future, but it all costs so much and just cant afford to get it all at once!!

Good point about people wanting a 'normal' pedicure though. I have a few OPI colours of my own so will look at expanding with a few more colours. I can see this weekend at Olympia being VERY expensive!! :lol:

I have just invested in Vinylux, and can honestly say that YES, it is as good as it makes out! it is so beautiful to apply, it really does dry in 8 minutes, it has a lovely shine, and so far it is lasting really well on all of my clients that have tried it so far. its a very reasonable price- cheaper than the brand of polish i was originally using- I highly recommend investing n Vinylux.

Since adding Shellac to my service menu, requests for regular polish have dropped to almost zero. I do get the occasional enquiry but even then I am able to persuade my client to try Shellac after which they become converted.

I know a local salon to me has also cut back considerably on their regular polish stock due to using so much more Shellac.

Thanks Beauti-listics. That's good to hear. Will definitely look at investing in some then :)

Mrs Clooney - I currently only do Gelish as just starting out in the business. Personally I would only use Gelish on myself as it lasts so well, but want to be able to offer my customers more than just one thing.

I get the odd person still wanting a normal polish. I use Jessica but my Gelish outsells it constantly x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

You are very welcome my lovely! I highly reccomend 'tutti fruitti' i invested in the 10 + 2 package, its out of stock i believe at mo, but worth waiting for and also ordered tutti fruitti, midnight swim & electric orange. its a nice little set of colours to get you started. i am just about to put in another order for some more colours and plan on collecting them all!
I agree that Shellac or Gel poloishes certainly are popular, but for the people that dont like to keep returning to a salon every 2 weeks toget them redone, or prefer to change their colour more often Vinylux is perfect. To be honest it actually lasts just as long as gel polish on my nails, as im really naughty & dont wear gloves or follow the after care that i tell my clients too. So for me its far easier to remove Vinylux with a regular polish & just a swipe over each nail. i think once your clients have tried it, it will become just as popular as your gel polishes are. Good Luck with it!

Since qualifying in march I have done one regular mani (she's a family friend and she babysits my kids a lot so I do them for free) she's not very into nail etc so doesn't know about gels and gel polishes. But I know if I told her about them she would be converted. I just haven't mentioned it as would have to do it with my kids around. Nightmare!

I always have shellac on my finger nails but I hate it on my toes as regular polish is just as good on toes on myself however all my clients want shellac on their toes. I always keep a few decent polishes in just incase xx

I've had a couple of people ask but usually there not sure what gel is about so I tell them and they usually go with gel and love it!

Mani/pedi with regular polish might be perfect for mature clients. I'm thinking of getting either Vinylux or SPAritual for that (as my mani/pedi is organic, haven't decided on polish yet). There's also retail opportunity, isn't it? ;)

I have just invested in vinylux to go with my shellac and I love it! I get bored with colours really quickly so this way i can swap and change, I don't have too many clients that have a normal mani anymore but I think this will go down really well

Latest posts

Back