Do I argue with my boss or my client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi,
Maybe argue is a strong word but a little advice please.

A very flustered lady came in to the hairdressers today looking for a last minute blow dry. She was in a rush had an important night out planned. Whilst having her hair styled my boss mentioned having her nails done. I was with a client and looked up to acknowledge her and she said to me through the mirror that she wanted something quick. "Just make it look as if something has been done" she said "No problem" I said and carried on with my client.
I didn't know that my boss had persuaded her to have a manicure which obviously takes longer.
When client sat at my table, I then consulted with my client and we both decide as she was in such a rush on a file and polish my boss over heard and told me that client wanted a manicure. I then consulted with client again and client decided file and polish. I was more concerned about clients time maybe I'm wrong I dunno?
Client was very stiff and in rush didn't even want to wait for polish to dry as she was worried about time.
Client left then my boss came over to me and had a go at me for losing money and that the client wouldn't know what she was getting anyway and that I should have thought about the money.
I told my boss that I thought I had given client what she wanted asked for as she was so very pushed for time.
I felt very embarrassed as this was in front of another client and the rest of staff. I didn't want to look at anyone I was that embarrassed. I have only been there a week and nothing has been agreed on what I should do in this scenario. I didn't mean to go over my bosses head, she must have seen me as over riding her.
So who would I listen to my client or my boss.
Do I take this with a pinch of salt, water over a ducks back as she is my boss after all and what she says goes.

Oh my god!!!! I would go through my boss in this situation!!!! The client asked you for a file and polish and thats what you gave her! You done nothing wrong. I couldnt work with someone like that. X

Id take my boss to one side and say not to ever humiliate you infront of members of staff or public again. Id be furious! X

I am going to talk to her, have a chat about it. If I would have seen an opportunity to give my client a longer treatment I would have but she didn't want it. She was in a hurry and would have been even more flustered if I had. We get to know this and read clients body language to gauge a treatment and get a feel for what our clients want. Also I am not going to pull the wool over my clients eyes I'm just being honest. I was surprised when boss said "think of the money cha-ching cha-ching!" my file and polish 15mins I know I was on time, my boss accused me of taking 25-30mins so I wasted money and should have charged more. She wasn't quite about it. I did sit with client to make sure she didn't dash before fast setting top coat dried so she didn't smudge because she was out the door.

The client is "the boss" she pays you for the service she wants. End of story.
I have had many times when clients booked through main hotel bookings for example for some treatment but due to reasons outside their control they could only manage half hour , so you adjust the treatment to get as much as you can TO SUIT YOUR CLIENT.

So no I think you are not in the wrong at all and your boss is very unprofessional to discuss other clients in front of another client , firstly ! Secondly to chirp staff in front of other staff or clients , thirdly to be so pushy to force client into treatment the client clearly doesn't want. If this is her attitude I would think twice about working for her.

I'm a bit upset about it this morning as it was unexpected the way she came rushing up at me and told me off.
On the other hand she is running a business and we all have to get paid.

Without clients we don't have a business so they call the shots, end of.

Try and have a nice Sunday and put it on the back burner for now, don't let it ruin your day :)

There's no excuse. Running a business doesn't give her the right to tell you off like a naughty school girl, or to expect you to give clients treatments they don't want, just to make more money out of them.

You are totally in the right here...how dare she speak to you like that!! May I add that if I was the client who she said this in front of I would never return as it makes it clear what she's like and I wouldn't give her business. So unprofessional

I'm not saying leave over it but if this has happened a week in keep an eye out for other jobs as I doubt this is somewhere that you will want to stay for years.

Keep up the good work and don't let this make you question yourself X

I have been in this type of situation! It can be so humiliating! Not to mention, a total hit to your confidence! All I can say is that you need to get out of there as soon as you can. It is a toxic environment. It will take it's toll on your mind and body after awhile. It can even ruin your passion for hair! Working in a place that demands quantity rather than quality is NEVER a good place. This should be about the client. There are a lot of business classes that teach you how to make more money without making the client feel pressured. I think you should get some info on that, and hand it to your boss on your way out the door!

Good luck with this whole situation. Just remember, your happiness is extremely important. As soon as your happiness goes away, so does the quality of your services.

Keep us updated!

Hi,
Maybe argue is a strong word but a little advice please.

A very flustered lady came in to the hairdressers today looking for a last minute blow dry. She was in a rush had an important night out planned. Whilst having her hair styled my boss mentioned having her nails done. I was with a client and looked up to acknowledge her and she said to me through the mirror that she wanted something quick. "Just make it look as if something has been done" she said "No problem" I said and carried on with my client.
I didn't know that my boss had persuaded her to have a manicure which obviously takes longer.
When client sat at my table, I then consulted with my client and we both decide as she was in such a rush on a file and polish my boss over heard and told me that client wanted a manicure. I then consulted with client again and client decided file and polish. I was more concerned about clients time maybe I'm wrong I dunno?
Client was very stiff and in rush didn't even want to wait for polish to dry as she was worried about time.
Client left then my boss came over to me and had a go at me for losing money and that the client wouldn't know what she was getting anyway and that I should have thought about the money.
I told my boss that I thought I had given client what she wanted asked for as she was so very pushed for time.
I felt very embarrassed as this was in front of another client and the rest of staff. I didn't want to look at anyone I was that embarrassed. I have only been there a week and nothing has been agreed on what I should do in this scenario. I didn't mean to go over my bosses head, she must have seen me as over riding her.
So who would I listen to my client or my boss.
Do I take this with a pinch of salt, water over a ducks back as she is my boss after all and what she says goes.

Your boss sounds unprofessional both in the handling of the situation and the fact that she told you off in front of others.

The throwing extra services onto a client who is clearly in a rush doesn't help anyone. The "money at any cost" type managers are not good for this industry, both employees and clients.

I can completely understand why you are cheesed off.

Latest posts

Back