Do I have a leg to stand on legally?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie-Liz

Reaction score
Hi geeks, this might be a long one.

I recently went into a salon on a % basis, I did ask advice previously and rather than walk like a few suggested (should have took the advice). I decided to get the terms straight and all seemed to be going well. Until a relative came into the salon to supervise the employed hairdressers on a day the manageress couldn't make it in. This woman hit the roof when I tried to take my own takings from my client, told me I took my job too seriously when I declined to tint a new clients lashes without a patch test and tried to train me on how to paint a teenagers nails! She's not a beauty therapist. She was a hairdresser for 20years about 15yrs ago. That was Thursday. On Friday I sat in an empty salon from 9.30am-5pm, 3 clients cancelled and nobody walked in. It was a bad day. Then the owner came in for a "chat" with me, told me that he would rather employ someone but not me, he didn't want someone taking their own money as he rather pay me for services rendered and that because I told him it was against the law, and he believes it isn't (I did not say that and I knew nothing about "services rendered") he wants me to leave there n then. I was able to go back the next day to collect my tools, equipment and product if it was more convenient. Then he gave me £23 for my trouble shook my hand and said "if business picks up and we need a therapist I will call you" !! £23 for the beauty I did but not the hair services I carried out, because they took my takings all week with freak firmness. We never signed anything, we never drew up anything. I spent a lot of time and money getting things in place and going. I think I know the answer but I feel robbed. Leaflet drops, business cards, open night where they told visitors the nail paint was free, unable to visit my own mobile clients on the days I was at the salon. It's my own stupid silly fault and I feel very foolish for getting too excited, it's life. I learned some VERY valuable lessons and maybe this is a vent really, he might have a guilty conscience and think I'm a snitch but I just wanted to rent a space properly and within the law! Aside from be naive did I do anything wrong? My clients at the salon seemed happy, re-booked and tipped. I just don't get what the heck happened?!

Wow thanks for reading. It's long sorry.
Xx

Omg!
Have you written a thread previously?

I'm not sure on the legalities but if your owed money for services you did all week you should be paid regardless if your staying or leaving. With a clear head do up a list of what services you carried out and what money is still owed to you. I would contact him with the bill and if he refuses to pay contact a solicitor, regarding staying in the salon I'm not sure where you stand. I hope you get sorted soon x

Sorry my message was sent through but I did not finish!!

Basically how did you find this place and did you have any terms before you started? Can you remember anything going wrong apart from one day 'wannabe supervisor' giving you grief?

I think, from what I'm guessing, if I have read your story correctly, he knows he's done foul play. I'm sure there must be some sort of supporting body that can help you? Are you owed any monies??

I am probably owed about a tenner, the salon was very new and with only me advertising business was incredibly slow! I can only think thank god my own clients didn't get chance to come in, or booked for next week, it would look rather unprofessional
I found the place when the manageress contacted me through my beauty page offering a % split for 3 days in the salon. I thought that would be great potential. I viewed the place, they promised my existing clients would love the place and would leave word with hair clients to generate new clientele for me. Things got muddy when a stylist walked out half way through a colouring service to do her theory test (I am a level 2 hairdresser as well) and I had to watch the foils and then finish the service! I did dry cuts when the other stylist over ran and blow dried other hair clients again when the stylist over ran! I did more hair than beauty. I just couldn't leave them sat there with no stylist. Another mistake! I'm insured to carry out hair services so didn't see the problem, didn't think about potentially working for free!

Literally all plain sailing until the relative came in and got grumpy for me being on my phone (to a client might I add) then she just picked on me all day! Insulted me and also told me my prices were all wrong ?! I did a lot of research, my prices were fine!

I had no written or signed terms, the owner was too busy to write them up, he also wanted to frame my actual original certificates and leave them in the salon! I wouldn't mind photocopies framed up on the wall. In case if flooding or a fire, maybe I'm over cautious but I wasn't comfortable, he was always "sorting" things but with no result!! Very frustrating.

I don't wish to go back to the salon. It's one of those places that at a glance it's beautiful but look closer n it's all wrong. No hot water, back washers powered by a shower unit that floods the salon, no heating just the odd tiny space heater, in fact the back washers are so high and wide it's impossible to reach your clients head!

If you are only owed a tenner, he has done you a cheap favour. Is that the kind of person you want to work for/with?

It doesn't sound like he is in the right, but I believe that it will cost you more in your time to find out. Use the time to set up somewhere else that will value your contribution and benefit your pocketbook :)

Oh dear, that was all a bit of a nightmare wasn't it :confused:

You must be feeling a bit emotionally battered and bruised :hug:

Deep down I think you know there is not much you can do, you have nothing in writing, and you know what they say.....a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on :(

You're quite right to look at the whole sorry episode in a positive manner as in you've learned some valuable lessons. Yes you're spent money, time, and effort but it truly could have been a lot worse.

Walk away, head held high, I would invoice them for hours unpaid, and anything you truly believe you are owed but I suspect you will be ignored.

You still have your mobile clients and regulars, dust yourself down and rebuild your confidence. If you decide to try salon work again you'll go into the arrangement better prepared and aware.

:hug:

If you are only owed a tenner, he has done you a cheap favour. Is that the kind of person you want to work for/with?

It doesn't sound like he is in the right, but I believe that it will cost you more in your time to find out. Use the time to set up somewhere else that will value your contribution and benefit your pocketbook :)

This is very true, I would not want to work for or alongside someone like that. Nor in a salon that happily tints clients without skin testing! I wouldn't want a reputation for cutting corners, I like, many many others, do things properly and professionally. I am new to beauty (qualified in June) and I want to be the very best I can be. This obviously isn't the place for me, I am just feeling really foolish and it's not nice.

Oh dear, that was all a bit of a nightmare wasn't it :confused:

You must be feeling a bit emotionally battered and bruised :hug:

Deep down I think you know there is not much you can do, you have nothing in writing, and you know what they say.....a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on :(

You're quite right to look at the whole sorry episode in a positive manner as in you've learned some valuable lessons. Yes you're spent money, time, and effort but it truly could have been a lot worse.

Walk away, head held high, I would invoice them for hours unpaid, and anything you truly believe you are owed but I suspect you will be ignored.

You still have your mobile clients and regulars, dust yourself down and rebuild your confidence. If you decide to try salon work again you'll go into the arrangement better prepared and aware.

:hug:

Thank you, i will try salon work again but perhaps it would be better to either do proper employment, get some good experience and some more training to build what I have and then find my own establishment or treatment room rather than share with hairdressers who are more experienced and wouldn't dream if asking for my help! I think I just needed a little rant more than looking for a way to "get back" at the owner for treating me badly. That's just anger and it solves nothing x

Thank you, i will try salon work again but perhaps it would be better to either do proper employment, get some good experience and some more training to build what I have and then find my own establishment or treatment room rather than share with hairdressers who are more experienced and wouldn't dream if asking for my help! I think I just needed a little rant more than looking for a way to "get back" at the owner for treating me badly. That's just anger and it solves nothing x

You rant away Chick, you're amongst friends and those who understand, friends and family can listen but they don't 'get' it :lol:

Thank you Trinity, that's y I love being a geek so much! U can come here n talk about things that possibly make others look confused or roll their eyes, I'm probably not the only one who has gone into a bad arrangement either. My family don't think rental of a room or space is viable and they don't believe me when I say lots of therapists rent treatment rooms and do well out of it!

But yeah, thanks for the words of advice and thoughts from everyone. I do appreciate it. I know I was advised to walk away last week or so but I honestly thought it was a case of ironing out a few details and we at the salon would all learn from eachother! How stupid right? I promise to take advice whether I like it or not from now on. Rookie error, getting by on luck rather than judgment.

That's a bit of a nightmare! What area are u in?

You are only £10.00 short , so take that as a learning curve. Be it a personality clash or you did just not fit in with their business ideas , then it is a very inexpensive lesson, you haven't spent thousands of pounds and been left without a premises, your investment seems small. In future if you wish to work on a self employed basis, then look for a more secure contract maybe were you just rent a space and you are just liable for rent, that way there is no confusion you just pay rent 52 weeks of the year. xx

You are only £10.00 short , so take that as a learning curve. Be it a personality clash or you did just not fit in with their business ideas , then it is a very inexpensive lesson, you haven't spent thousands of pounds and been left without a premises, your investment seems small. In future if you wish to work on a self employed basis, then look for a more secure contract maybe were you just rent a space and you are just liable for rent, that way there is no confusion you just pay rent 52 weeks of the year. xx

Oh yes, thankfully I only spent peanuts compared to if I bought a place or rented a unit off an agent etc but the bulk of what I have is beneficial to me still. Just the cost of fliers, business cards and a few dabs of polish on open night is my loss. I am grateful it was an inexpensive lesson in monetary value, maybe my ego is just a bit bruised that's all lol. Thought I was on to something great and would really challenge me, I was so ready for a change. It's simply disheartening.

I will definitely be far more cautious in future and get the terms laid out properly before doing anything. Being too eager doesn't pay off.

Curious as to how long you were actually in this salon......Days, weeks or months?
I'm assuming you were not 'taking over' an existing clientele.
Were you bringing your own, or was this a new start up?

Forget about your ego julie, this is just purely business. To build a good business can take months even years. You have to grow thick skin in this industry, and never under estimate yourself or your associates. Have plenty of money in the bank for advertising etc, and stand very tall. Confidence and good work will see you through, but be prepared to work hard for little money, in the beginning , you are just not going to earn hundreds / thousands in your first year of trading. Most reputable salons i know are built simply through word of mouth. If you break even in your first year of trading, then you are doing above average. Good luck and please be sensible in your expectations , of simply renting space xxxx

Forget about your ego julie, this is just purely business. To build a good business can take months even years. You have to grow thick skin in this industry, and never under estimate yourself or your associates. Have plenty of money in the bank for advertising etc, and stand very tall. Confidence and good work will see you through, but be prepared to work hard for little money, in the beginning , you are just not going to earn hundreds / thousands in your first year of trading. Most reputable salons i know are built simply through word of mouth. If you break even in your first year of trading, then you are doing above average. Good luck and please be sensible in your expectations , of simply renting space xxxx

The comment about my ego was a joke, I don't have one. I think I mainly made this post to rant to be honest. I know I have a lot to learn and then some. I already have a nice small client base some i had since I did hair at college and they allowed me to complete my assessments on them and they stayed with me. For the past 6 years, it's brilliant, the rest followed from word of mouth so I can see the power in that. When I wrote my post I felt like a failure because I tried to do everything right. I went on courses in the lead up to opening, got myself a business advisor, learned how to write cash flow forecasts, some basic book keeping skills, market research, went and chatted with local residents and businesses nearby the salon. I felt daft for not even considering the owner would say "I rather employ someone else" it really has been an education so at least I can take that from it. :)

Edit to say: I never expected to get rich off it either, I just want to do beauty and hair because I love it so much. I wanted to try something other than mobile work because it sees me in my car constantly and I find driving overwhelming. One place if work seemed a bit more comfortable than several.

Latest posts

Back