Do I have to have a toner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatildasMummy

Reaction score
Hey geeks

I’m having my hair done soon in the salon (half head highlights) currently my hair is a medium ash blonde and I want it to be lighter but I worry that when I go they will put a toner on and wondered if this is standard practice?

The reason I ask is that when I last had highlights done, the hairdresser took them out and they looked like they lifted well and I liked the contrast between my base colour, however she insisted on putting a toner on, when it was finished and dried it just looked all one colour again which is not what I wanted!

Will the highlights add warmth to my ashy hair colour? As I worry that if a toner is put on it will all look the same again which I don’t want!

Many thanks

T
Hey geeks

I’m having my hair done soon in the salon (half head highlights) currently my hair is a medium ash blonde and I want it to be lighter but I worry that when I go they will put a toner on and wondered if this is standard practice?

The reason I ask is that when I last had highlights done, the hairdresser took them out and they looked like they lifted well and I liked the contrast between my base colour, however she insisted on putting a toner on, when it was finished and dried it just looked all one colour again which is not what I wanted!

Will the highlights add warmth to my ashy hair colour? As I worry that if a toner is put on it will all look the same again which I don’t want!

Many thanks
This is a conversation you need to have with the stylist who's doing your hair. Explain to them what's happened in the past and express that you don't want it to be one colour and you want there to be different tones running through it.
If you can find photos of what you're looking for that will help too.
It's hard to predict if you will need a toner or not, but this should always be assessed after the the highlights are rinsed anyway. Lightening the hair is such and unpredictable process that you just don't know what it will lighten to until you've lightened it. Did they suggest a strand test? And offer a consultation?

Latest posts

Back