Do I need insurance if I'm doing mobile hairdessing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie Hope

Reaction score
hello i would like to have some advice, I would like to know if it is the best thing to have insurance to cover myself if im doing mobile hairdressing? I do not work in a salon or rent a chair im currently doing my mobile hairdressing travelling to clients homes and have been doing it now and then when I can, ive had previous experience in salons and doing 4 years of experience when I was in school and college. im nvq level 3 qualified and wanting to have advice if its the best thing to have instead of not having it and if there was a chance of me having any problems in the future?

Yes you need insurance to cover yourself and protect your clients should something go wrong. You are using strong chemicals, scissor blades and heat that all pose risks and accidents happen. Get insurance asap

Yes you need insurance it's very important for various reasons.

how do I get insurance for my mobile business? is there a site I can do it on..

Yes, ideally you need professional liability insurance in case anything goes wrong and a client needs to claim money from you for damages.

For instance, if they suddenly have a bad reaction to the hair colour and decide to sue you.
Also, supposing their toddler grabbed your hot straighteners and burnt himself and they decide to sue you?
What if you accidentally spilt colour/bleach on the client's carpet?
What if your hairdryer develops a fault and fuses their electrics?
I think it's a higher risk for you when you're working in the client's home as you have no control over your workspace so you might be having to work around children and other family members.

Can you afford to cover your own legal fees and pay compensation?

Salon Gold is often recommended here but just google hairdressing insurance for a selection of providers and try to get at least 3 quotes so that you can compare the cost and the cover provided. Some companies will offer to cover your stock and equipment too.

You're not legally obliged to purchase insurance but it's not that expensive for peace of mind and being properly insured and registered as self employed demonstrates to potential clients that you are a competent professional hairdresser and not an amateur diy-er.

What do you mean by im not legally obliged?

Car insurance is the law you must have it. You could choose to not have public liability insurance but could be out of pocket for a £5000 legal bill for accidentally snapping someones hair if they took you to court.

Or even more i guess

I agree with Jake, you do not have to have it but its comforting having it. I think in Australia car insurance is not a must ?

Ive got car insurance? So i dont understand where that comes in sorry im really confused on what people are saying all i asked is it the best thing to be covered if your doing mobile hairdressing or can i go without it? As thats what i have done so far but its just come to mind if anything did go wrong how do i get cover ect

Unless you have a pot of £50,000 stashed away for legal costs, yes.

Ok totally agree with you on that so i will try and work around getying insurance for my mobile hairdressing. Thank you all for your advice :)

As far as I am aware . Public liability only covers damage / harm to the client and not if any damage occurs to their property as they would need to claim on their home insurance , at least that's what I was told by my policy provider ,

As far as I am aware . Public liability only covers damage / harm to the client and not if any damage occurs to their property as they would need to claim on their home insurance , at least that's what I was told by my policy provider ,

Check your policy and change your insurer if they don't provide adequate cover. Otherwise, what's the point?

If I as the client paid for a service in my home and the service provider damaged something of mine whilst carrying out the service, there's no way I'd be faffing about trying to claim on my own home insurance and incidentally, having my premium increased. Also, that's assuming that the client has accidental damage cover for everything in their home.

If the service provider refused to pay up, I'd rather sue them in the small claims court.
Also some clients are likely to bad mouth the service provider to their friends and on social media too.

Yes, ideally you need professional liability insurance in case anything goes wrong and a client needs to claim money from you for damages.

For instance, if they suddenly have a bad reaction to the hair colour and decide to sue you.
Also, supposing their toddler grabbed your hot straighteners and burnt himself and they decide to sue you?
What if you accidentally spilt colour/bleach on the client's carpet?
What if your hairdryer develops a fault and fuses their electrics?
I think it's a higher risk for you when you're working in the client's home as you have no control over your workspace so you might be having to work around children and other family members.

Can you afford to cover your own legal fees and pay compensation?

Salon Gold is often recommended here but just google hairdressing insurance for a selection of providers and try to get at least 3 quotes so that you can compare the cost and the cover provided. Some companies will offer to cover your stock and equipment too.

You're not legally obliged to purchase insurance but it's not that expensive for peace of mind and being properly insured and registered as self employed demonstrates to potential clients that you are a competent professional hairdresser and not an amateur diy-er.

What insurance company are you with? I am thinking of taking insurance for clients!

Jumping back to car insurance- if you are using your car to get to & from clients houses then you might need business car insurance too!

My old regular domestic car policy stated I could only drive to a single desination for work (ie a salon/office) but if i was using it to go to many i wasnt covered, plus my £100's of pounds worth of kit wasnt covered in the car either. so out of curiosity has any other freelancers come across this? Xx

As someone who live in Australia... No insurance is not necessary however I find you do not have a million dollars in the bank then YES you need to be covered by insurance incase something goes wrong and a client sues you..

In relation to car insurance in Australia you must have 3rd party insurance to even get your car registered but that only covers other drives if you crash in to them.. If using your car for business then you can get a business rego but recommended to get comprehensive insurance which covers your car to be repaired or get a payout to buy another if it's written off..
I use AAMI for car and home.. i think they also do business insurance but you could always use a broker who will find a salon specific insurer

Latest posts

Back