Do I need qualifications to do these?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curefanuk

Reaction score
I'm already a qualified make up artist and have been one for 20 years.

Do I legally need qualifications to do any of these additional things:

Nail art,
Manicure,
Hand treatments,
Eye lash tinting,
Eye lash extensions,
Tooth gems,
Hair braiding.

Friendly replies please.

Nail art,
Manicure,
Hand treatments,
Eye lash tinting,
Eye lash extensions,
Tooth gems,
Hair braiding.

Friendly replies please.
Yes you do, you won't be able to get insured without the qualifications.

If you ask your insurance provider they will ba able to tell you which, if any, of those treatments, you will be covered to do under their policy with the qualifications you already hold.

From there you will know what you need to train in if you wish to add them to your list of services.

Thanks.

Well in that case then my insurance company were willing to insure me for all those things without any qualifications. They told me that all apart from manicure there are no formal qualifications in any of the things I would like to do.

what qualifications have you got for your make up hun and then maybe we can tell you what you are qualified in?

It's a diploma in theatrical and media make up, basic hairdressing and city and guilds wigmaking which I hold.

I would imagine you would need training at least for Manicure, lash extensions and tinting to offer these unless you covered any of the eye treatments in your course.

How would you know where to start without the training?

Thanks.

It seems like no one can give me a straight answer, not even my local council.

Do you know how to perform a manicure?

Do you know how to tint lashes?

And what the contra indications are to either of these?

Im qualified in the above but not in lash extensions although I am qualified in other eye services and still wouldnt know to start.

Nail art,
Manicure,
Hand treatments,
Eye lash tinting,
Eye lash extensions,
Tooth gems,
Hair braiding.

Friendly replies please.

Legally, no - and legally you don't require insurance, but it is obviously prudent to have cover. As has been said, check with your insurance as I would be surprised if they expected qualifications for many of those either. However, if you require a special treatments licence from your local authority for any of these things, then they are likely to expect to see some sort of qualification even if not in these specific areas.

Nail art,
Manicure,
Hand treatments,
Eye lash tinting,
Eye lash extensions,
Tooth gems,
Hair braiding.

Friendly replies please.

If your insurance says you don't need to be qualified in these things, its up to you but in my opinion getting proper training for manicures, eyelash tinting/extensions and tooth gems is key to providing a great service. It is also something that clients will ask for and some even want to see certificates. I would slowly invest into proper courses and actually be qualified in these services then "mess" about and then realize training is a must

I personally do training in everything I want to offer no matter what my insurance says.
I want to know I'm following all the correct procedures so that I can give a good service and answer any questions from the client and be confident that I'm doing it right! From a professional point of view it looks better to have a certificate I'm what you wish to offer. From a health and safety view you ensure you can't harm the client ie lash extensions used strong glue and tweezers near the eyes. Training will tell you how to hold things, techniques you can't self learn and ways to clean and sterilise equipment to prevent cross contamination!
You will learn contraindications!
I could go on about the benefits of training!
My advice is research available courses, have some treatments yourself and get insurance to cover everything ou offer.
Good luck!

Thanks.

Well in that case then my insurance company were willing to insure me for all those things without any qualifications. They told me that all apart from manicure there are no formal qualifications in any of the things I would like to do.

Frankly that shocks me for manicure, tinting and lash extensions! Who are your insurers?

My insurance company, ABT, will only offer full cover for those treatments I could provide certificates for, ie evidence of training!

But would you seriously want to provide those treatments without training?

Frankly that shocks me for manicure, tinting and lash extensions! Who are your insurers?

My insurance company, ABT, will only offer full cover for those treatments I could provide certificates for, ie evidence of training!

But would you seriously want to provide those treatments without training?

i agree!
And my insurance BABTAC are the same!

Ok thanks. I actually did manicure, hand treatments and eye lash tinting as part of my course but that was over 20 years ago. So I'll leave the eyelash extensions until I can get qualified. I was told by my insurance that I wouldn't need a qualification for nail art, tooth gems, hair braiding or body art as they are all only 'cosmetic'.

Ok thanks. I actually did manicure, hand treatments and eye lash tinting as part of my course but that was over 20 years ago. So I'll leave the eyelash extensions until I can get qualified. I was told by my insurance that I wouldn't need a qualification for nail art, tooth gems, hair braiding or body art as they are all only 'cosmetic'.

Now THAT makes more sense but its not what you said in your other posts!

Last edited:
I think the question to ask your insurance would be if carried out any of the above treatments on a client, and for whatever reason you had to make a claim, would you be covered?

My rule of thumb is to train and become qualified in every treatment that I want to offer because from a career perspective, being certified in a treatment will show that you've been doing it properly over the years rather than adlibbing a bit (regardless of what your insurance says).

whatever is listed on your certificates that you did on your course you are qualified in no matter how many years ago you did it xx

Well you could say the same about teeth whitening then couldn't you? It is only cosmetic but if it goes wrong you are in a whole mess of trouble. Only recently an eyelash extension girl was beside herself as a client ended up in hospital with an allergic reaction and uncertain if insurance would actually cover her if client wanted to sue. Not a position you want to find yourself in if your insurance company suddenly finds valid reasons for witholding insurance compensation.

I would get everything in black and white from them before embarking on treatments you dont hold fairly current and up to date qualifications in. Things change and things accepted as right years ago can now be seen as outdated or even incorrect in some situations. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back