Do I need to cut my acrylic nails down?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve been getting acrylic nails for the last six months or so but my natural nails are quite long so I don’t have extensions. My nail tech says the next time she wants to start afresh with the acrylic and she’s also recommended that I cut my natural nails down and have a tip put on them while they grow back out.
Can anyone explain why id need to do that? I understand removing the acrylic and starting again but I don’t really want to cut down my length which is pretty strong.

Nope, pointless unless there's an issue such as free edge separation, major shape distortion, bacterial infection, total design/colour change, etc.

Some techs were taught many years ago that new sets should be applied every so often, back then it was down to unstable products that would discolour/breakdown over time, so made sense. Now products are much better and product breakdown isn't an issue.

Dare I say it's a money making tactic unless there are the issues mentioned above. A new set is more expensive than a rebalance.

Why cut off perfectly good natural nails to replace with false ones?? Makes no sense to me. That said, as above, if the shape of the natural nail is distorting the overlay with something like hooking or twisting then its a reasonable suggestion, but if they look as good as the tips then no need. If you have a clear overlay there could be colour mismatch with new product but that would be solved with soak off reapply, new tips not required.

My current nails are as shown in the photo attached. My tech said there are bubbles on the nail now which is why she wants to begin again and I’ve also noticed on the underside my nails are slightly white/patchy but they’re strong and give me no problems.

I wouldn’t say my tech is trying to make extra money from me as ive known her a long time and that’s not her policy.

What do you think of my photos?

Attachments

• F9EDC185-16F8-45D6-9920-D984DCDC8940.jpeg
    F9EDC185-16F8-45D6-9920-D984DCDC8940.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 97
  • A178BF48-5A6D-4B45-8064-A4696AF5D0BD.jpeg
    A178BF48-5A6D-4B45-8064-A4696AF5D0BD.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 98
If you know and trust her why are you questioning her advice?

Colour changes to natural nail underneath could be anything, it's impossible to tell with the colour on. If it's polish or gel polish I'd want to see the product underneath the colour to determine anything.

If it's colour acrylic, I can understand her concerns but still no need to remove the length to replace the product.

If she hadn’t put down a clear layer of acrylic and you want a colour change then it would need removing.
There are lots of other reasons too, ask her why. You seem to have an established relationship with her and so she won’t mind explaining.
A lot of techs wouldn’t let your natural nail grow up under the acrylic and would use a “clean up bit” to remove the natural nail from under the acrylic free edge.
Did she tip or sculpt?
All of it is for discussion between you and her xx

Latest posts

Back