Do I need to do beauty level 3 or just courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillmdavies1988

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

im beauty level 2 qualified, i previously worked as a spa receptionist, where sometimes I would do treatments if one of the therapist had fallen sick, I would just do the facial and manicure treatments.

I want to get back into the indrustry again and trying to figure out my options..do I need to do level 3 or can I just do individual courses such as electrical facial course, Eyelash & brow courses? I understand if I’m self employed these individual courses might be fine... but would salons expect these?

I did look at fast track courses but im
A bit wary of them.. I received a NVQ years ago now I see VTEC, is this a recognized qualification?

Would appreciate any advice on this!

Generally, NVQ’s are now limited to students working in a salon and receiving training on the job whilst VRQ’s are aimed at students completing their training entirely in a college situation. Otherwise, they’re roughly similar qualifications.

Are you looking for employed salon/Spa work or to be self employed, perhaps rent a chair?

Salons tend to prefer less experienced staff to have their level 3 but it’s not a definite rule.

Well I will probably want to self employed but I’m I was worried that if I did want to work in a salon they wouldn’t except me if I didn’t have level 3... but if salons will excepts individual courses then that’s fine. As I’m wanting to go towards the electrical facials/peels/micro needling side of beauty :)

Well I will probably want to self employed but I’m I was worried that if I did want to work in a salon they wouldn’t except me if I didn’t have level 3... but if salons will excepts individual courses then that’s fine. As I’m wanting to go towards the electrical facials/peels/micro needling side of beauty :)

Just be sure to check who the courses are accredited by and check your chosen insurer will accept them.

As an employer in a salon we would want you to have level 3 or be working towards it. We're flexible about the route but ideally electrical facials. One of my therapists had done level 3 massage route so we paid for her to do an electrical facial course.
If you're only ever going to work from home you have a level 2 which some councils now require before they allow you to set up a home salon so add ons are a bonus.

So no answer really. You'll limit your earning potential if you do ever want to go employed.

Hope that helps

Vic x

I did fast track level 2 and 3, and this was far superior to one day courses that I've also done. It was hard work, as it was a 2 year course condensed in to 10 months! But it was really good quality training. I went on to work at a 5 star spa and they were pleasantly surprised at the level I was taught.
I work for myself now, so technically didn't need to do the full qualification, but I'm so glad I did, as I feel that it sets me apart from a lot of people, new to the industry, who don't want to bother. There industry is flooded at the moment, so I'd do anything you can to set yourself apart and be the best you can be.
The spa I worked at only accepted level 3 trained. I believe this is similar for most salons too.

One last thing. Last year I did separate microneedling and dermaplaning courses, with completely different training providers - at both courses there were student who only had one day courses under there belt. I didn't think much of it, until we had to work on each other :eek: both times it was a horrible experience! They had no idea even how to carry out the basics, they had very little knowledge and I would not in a million years pay them for treatments. And one of them owned her own skin clinic!

Do more than necessary, rather than less. x

Latest posts

Back