Do I need to register as a mobile hairdresser?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm corpes

Reaction score
hi geeks
iv been working as a mobile hairdresser for 3 and a half years now, i am registered with freelance hair and beauty federation, but i got told i should also register with the council? do i need to do this as that has me really confused? if so why do i???

hi geeks
iv been working as a mobile hairdresser for 3 and a half years now, i am registered with freelance hair and beauty federation, but i got told i should also register with the council? do i need to do this as that has me really confused? if so why do i???

Hiya,

I've been Mobile for 18 years and have never heard of registering with the council, the only people I have told are tax man (unfortunately), national insurance, bank (business banking) and insurances, as in car insurance, public liability.

Hope that helps:)

Yeah I havent heard of this ether, i am registered with above the inland revenue etc. xxx

me too.
all i had to tell the council about was ear peircing...

If you were using your home at all for hairdressing then you would need to contact the council, as some councils would charge business rates on your council tax. This does vary from council to council and year to year. But if you go down this route it is harder to have removed then becoming part of it.

If you own your own home then you would also become liable for capital gains tax if you sold the property! So if I were you stick to doing ALL your hairdressing away from home.

The tax peeps certainly have their pound of flesh and then some...:mad:

If you had any sharps to dispose of (used blades) Edward Scissor hands etc then you need to reg sharps, or if you had a contagious disease you have to notify the local HSE, hope that helps

All good wishes

Sian Rogers

Finding Serenity |

Last edited:
If you were using your home at all for hairdressing then you would need to contact the council, as some councils would charge business rates on your council tax. This does vary from council to council and year to year. But if you go down this route it is harder to have removed then becoming part of it.

If you own your own home then you would also become liable for capital gains tax if you sold the property! So if I were you stick to doing ALL your hairdressing away from home.

The tax peeps certainly have their pound of flesh and then some...:mad:

If you had any sharps to dispose of (used blades) Edward Scissor hands etc then you need to reg sharps, or if you had a contagious disease you have to notify the local HSE, hope that helps

All good wishes

Sian Rogers

Finding Serenity |

Nope I'm totally mobile as I assume the other ladies are, claim office expenses but certainly not enough to induce capital gains tax!

thank you very much i am registered with the above also and il leave it at that, that has put my mind at rest thank you xx

Latest posts

Back