Do I need to ring the council?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspip

Reaction score
Hello
I've just been reading some information from HABIA, and now I'm not sure what I need to do.
The information is mainly based around salons (Hygiene in the Beauty Industy) and says that you need to ring the council to register, which I undersatand for salons.

I'm now not sure if I need to ring the council to register? It is just me and at the moment I am mobile. I have been told that if I wanted to take appoointments at home I would need to register with the council.

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks x

I have a home based salon and for any treatments involving needles e.g. electrolysis, dermaroller, ear piercing etc, I had to register with the council.
The best thing to do is to ring your local council and ask. Every council has different requirements, different fees, different procedures. What's correct for one area will almost certainly be different for another.
I had to pay a fee to license the premises and another fee for each therapist. It was a one off fee, not an annual one, and I was inspected too.
They looked at sterilisation procedures, cleanliness, no smoking signs, PAT testing records, MSDS records. I pre empted all their possible requirements by having everything ready before they came.
The lovely lady said that she'd never seen such a well organised salon before!

I've had a squint at your local council's website and found some details that might be useful.

http://www.huntingdonshire.gov.uk/S...ensing/fees_and_charges_schedule2008 2009.pdf

Good luck!

I am mobile and home based and i rang the council before i started working. They passed my details to the Environment Health Dept and they came out to see me. They checked i had all my MSDS, qualification certificates and insurance. Thay asked lots of questions such as how do i dispose of waste etc. The lady that came out was very helpful and friendly and gave me a few useful tips and also a copy of the report that said i had passed the inspection xx

Thanks both of you, and thank you Lynne for the link. I'll have a look before I give them a call x

Latest posts

Back