Do I need to train in pedicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just completed a 2day cnd shellac course and im doing friends and family practice at the moment.

Im thinking i want to offer manicure/pedicure to my services. Is it really necessary to do a course on these or could i learn online from tutorials. It was hard enough to get away (3children)for the Shellac course. Alot of both courses seem to include the same material, its the tecnique i would be missing.

Did any of you self learn this side of business?

Tia Paula

I think you definitely have to qualify for insurance purposes ? xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes im sure you do for insurance too

You do yes. You can use shellac with a mani/pedi qualification.

It's not just for insurance purposes that you need to do a pedicure course, but also the A&P of the lower leg and foot and the extra contra indications / Pathologies to boot.
Be the professional that you want to be..:)

Hi everyone,

I just completed a 2day cnd shellac course and im doing friends and family practice at the moment.

Im thinking i want to offer manicure/pedicure to my services. Is it really necessary to do a course on these or could i learn online from tutorials. It was hard enough to get away (3children)for the Shellac course. Alot of both courses seem to include the same material, its the tecnique i would be missing.

Did any of you self learn this side of business?

Tia Paula

Sorry but you need to do an accredited course to be able to practise these....can you imagine if we all learnt from tutorials we would be getting sued all over the place as not all tutorials follow the correct protocol many tutorials especially on you tube are just everyday unqualified people having a go so to speak....I agree with the post above there is more to just carrying out the procedure you need to know A&P.....for instance my insurance company insist I have a letter from a GP for any diabetic clients and I'm also not allowed to use metal tools on these clients.....many tutorials show razor blading the dead skin again my insurance doesn't allow this ....so if you don't have a qualification you can't get insured ....no qualification or insurance = I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.....

contraindications?! Without carrying out my college course I wouldn't have had a clue about all the contraindications and you definitely won't learn these from watching tutorials .....I understand that you have children and find it difficult but if you are going to do a job like this then unfortunately it takes time and commitment ....sorry to be blunt x

I didn't realise you could undertake a CND Shellac course without a mani/pedi qualification? Or it's just changed since I did it

D
I didn't realise you could undertake a CND Shellac course without a mani/pedi qualification? Or it's just changed since I did it
No qualification needed. My first course.

it changed recently enough , I believe there is a shorter course for people who already have a mani pedi cert, and a more in-depth one for people with out that covers all the theory they need to know [emoji3]

The trouble with not doing a course is you don't know what it is you're not going to know. I didn't even know the word contraindications, or the complexities of diabetic clients, the structure of the skin, nails, muscles etc. All of which you'd be working with and need to know what you ate affecting or causing.

it changed recently enough , I believe there is a shorter course for people who already have a mani pedi cert, and a more in-depth one for people with out that covers all the theory they need to know [emoji3]
Noreen, would a mini course cut the mustard do you think or do i need to do more intense 2 day thats more expensive.

The trouble with not doing a course is you don't know what it is you're not going to know. I didn't even know the word contraindications, or the complexities of diabetic clients, the structure of the skin, nails, muscles etc. All of which you'd be working with and need to know what you ate affecting or causing.
Im going to enroll. Already knew the answer before i asked. Glad i asked though.

It's not just for insurance purposes that you need to do a pedicure course, but also the A&P of the lower leg and foot and the extra contra indications / Pathologies to boot.
Be the professional that you want to be..:)
The CND Shellac course actually covers the A&P of the lower leg and foot including contra indications (it was part of the study and pre-assessment so check your guide). It also has pedicure element in the guide we were provided, we were advised on the course that we could perform a mini pedicure but to do the SpaPedicure course for indepth luxury pedicure ... But I would check with your EA.

Last edited:
You don't need to do it with CND. There's lots of nail course providers that do mani/pedi

Great advice everyone.
In addition to checking with your EA, it may also be worth checking it out with your/an insurance provider. I have full mani/pedi qualifications and have taken 4 advanced skill building courses with CND. My insurance provider will only insure me for the elements covered by certificates. Having said that they view CND as a high level training academy (sorry too early to think of the correct terminology), for example a CND shellac conversion course will cover me for the application of all brands of gel polish application.
CND.com is also available to you, which has lots of educational guidance on there. But it is to support your learning and skill building not to replace training.
I continually skill build. I have at least 3 more courses lined up for the next year. I want to give my clients the confidence that they are in the hands of a professional. I rarely do pedis and as it is 7 years since I did my original college course, I intend to go back to basics and retake a pedi course as I want to push pedis next spring. This is just my view and my approach is a touch ott, I hope I haven't come across as patronising. I am not an EA so checking with them first is a good starting point.

Last edited:
You don't need to do it with CND. There's lots of nail course providers that do mani/pedi
So there are - but as she trained with CND Shellac and had a great experience - I believe that's why she would want to move forward with more of the CND courses. HTH's.

I was just thinking as the op has trouble having the time to go to classes it might be easier for her.

I was just thinking as the op has trouble having the time to go to classes it might be easier for her.
I hear you!! No worries...

Latest posts

Back