Do I Really Need to Spend £170 on Pink GHD's?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All i can say about this is if she really really wants the pink ones and its not going to completely break the bank then get them for her.When you are that age sense doesnt come into it and she will be disappointed to get the black ones.
have a good search around on internet etc and im sure you will be able to get them for cheaper than rrp.

Hey thanks everyone for all your replies.

Love Trish :hug::hug::hug::hug:

Just to add my two penneth worth...:lol:

Myself and my two daughters ( 20 & 17 ) have had between us, 3 pairs of GHD's ( boring black ones...).

We have various hair types from straight to curly to extra long curly...and have found GHD's have a shelf life of 12 months maximum. In a nutshell we found them to be ok...but....for myself my hair starts to kink pretty much straight away.

Babyliss 230 degree ones....we got the bronze special edition type from Boots....£49.99 ( think they were on offer ). They are fantastic and keep our hair straighter for longer...plus the added bonus of different heat settings. My hair never kinks with these... as for the shelf life we will see...!!!!
The 3 of us recommend the Babyliss straighteners above any other.... I got them after I saw how much they were recommened on various websites...

just a thought-and im sorry if someone else has already suggested this (i tried to read all the posts) if its pink straightners your daughter would like why not look in your nearest suppliers- sallys etc and see what they have on offer in pink but in another brand (fhi/kodo maybe?and offer your daughter the choice of 'unbranded' ceramic straightners in pink or black ghds?just a thought, also could you see if they do a pink heat mat to go with the black ones?hope this makes sense?xx

just a thought-and im sorry if someone else has already suggested this (i tried to read all the posts) if its pink straightners your daughter would like why not look in your nearest suppliers- sallys etc and see what they have on offer in pink but in another brand (fhi/kodo maybe?and offer your daughter the choice of 'unbranded' ceramic straightners in pink or black ghds?just a thought, also could you see if they do a pink heat mat to go with the black ones?hope this makes sense?xx

Oh KJF if only (big sigh). It does make sense to me but then I am 43 and not 13 and know that labels are not everything and that my mates will not "look at me like I'm some kind of a freak" if my stuff does not have a label on it.

She did not used to be like this, in primary school she was very much the individual and did not care what other people thought, but since she started high school last year that has all changed and now she has to be a sheep.

I have been assured that this does not last forever. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway.

Trish :hug:

i know how you feel, my daughter is 14 and if it dont have a label she wont wear it:irked:, i wont buy her colthes anymore as i go for price not label so she wont wear them, instead she has an allowance and if she chooses to spend t all on 1 pair of jeans then its up to her but she cant ask me to get her anything else, im hopeing it will teach her the value of money:eek:
Oh KJF if only (big sigh). It does make sense to me but then I am 43 and not 13 and know that labels are not everything and that my mates will not "look at me like I'm some kind of a freak" if my stuff does not have a label on it.

She did not used to be like this, in primary school she was very much the individual and did not care what other people thought, but since she started high school last year that has all changed and now she has to be a sheep.

I have been assured that this does not last forever. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway.

Trish :hug:

OMG are you mad, £170 on hair straighteners, I own a hair salon and I wouldn't dream of spending that - ITS JUST A NAME.

There is nothing special about GHD. Its the technique you use and the sectioning & styling that make the difference. I have around 8 pairs of ceramics in varying sizes, most of which are babyliss. My favourites are 1 pair with adjustable temperature that are angled slightly and another really thin pair for curling (also with 2 different heats). Both of these pairs cost under £40 and thats all I need for myself and my customers.

Think of all the other things you could buy with that money......it's nice to spoil kids but what lesson are they learning when they demand outrageously priced stuff and get it with no effort - what's next diamond studded trainers?

Sorry but spoilt teenage brats turn into lazy arrogant adults IMO :smack:

Yep, i've had a pair of HairTools straighteners for 6 years now (they cost £50 back then), and they are still going strong, although now they are taking a bit longer to get hot, so i am replacing them this year. I'm going to get HairTools again, went to my local suppliers, and the black ones are £36.50 and the pink ones are £60!!!
Seeing GHD's on Watchdog really put me off buying them too.

Yep, i've had a pair of HairTools straighteners for 6 years now (they cost £50 back then), and they are still going strong, although now they are taking a bit longer to get hot, so i am replacing them this year. I'm going to get HairTools again, went to my local suppliers, and the black ones are £36.50 and the pink ones are £60!!!
Seeing GHD's on Watchdog really put me off buying them too.

didnt see the Watchdog program - what did it say about them?

OMG are you mad, £170 on hair straighteners, I own a hair salon and I wouldn't dream of spending that - ITS JUST A NAME.

There is nothing special about GHD. Its the technique you use and the sectioning & styling that make the difference. I have around 8 pairs of ceramics in varying sizes, most of which are babyliss. My favourites are 1 pair with adjustable temperature that are angled slightly and another really thin pair for curling (also with 2 different heats). Both of these pairs cost under £40 and thats all I need for myself and my customers.

Think of all the other things you could buy with that money......it's nice to spoil kids but what lesson are they learning when they demand outrageously priced stuff and get it with no effort - what's next diamond studded trainers?

Sorry but spoilt teenage brats turn into lazy arrogant adults IMO :smack:
I was thinking the same thing. I know how teenagers 'need' labels and if there is the money freely available to buy them then fine but I really disagree when money is tight and huge amounts are spent on named brands which the family cant afford. (not saying that is the case with you)

didnt see the Watchdog program - what did it say about them?

said that ghd can catch fire....a lot of people wrote into watchdog saying that after they had used ghd ,they switched it off by the plug and left them,then they caught on fire......i ALWAYS ALWAYS unplug my straightners when i am finished with them.....this did put me of ghd,s....but then imo....you should not just switch them off you should unplug them.

said that ghd can catch fire....a lot of people wrote into watchdog saying that after they had used ghd ,they switched it off by the plug and left them,then they caught on fire......i ALWAYS ALWAYS unplug my straightners when i am finished with them.....this did put me of ghd,s....but then imo....you should not just switch them off you should unplug them.

Wasn't it something to do with the temperature not switching off....a woman had turned them off, but the temperature kept getting hotter and hotter and sparks came off them.

Wasn't it something to do with the temperature not switching off....a woman had turned them off, but the temperature kept getting hotter and hotter and sparks came off them.

this was 6 months ago or more so memory is poo!!!!!!....yeah think so,ghd said you should unplug them....but they said cos they switched them off the temp should not get hotter ...think !!!!!.correct me if i am wrong......does everyone unplug them or leave them plugged in but switched on?

there the best straightners by far. they were on watch dog when they first came out as they had a faulty batch, but they are used in most top salons and now by alot of the public.

this was 6 months ago or more so memory is poo!!!!!!....yeah think so,ghd said you should unplug them....but they said cos they switched them off the temp should not get hotter ...think !!!!!.correct me if i am wrong......does everyone unplug them or leave them plugged in but switched on?

I dont have ghds.. but i do find that if you dont unplug straightners.. they still feel warm even when switched off... even my curling tong does the same thing....

so now i unplug all hair appliances straight after use.. better be safe than sorry..

I dont have ghds.. but i do find that if you dont unplug straightners.. they still feel warm even when switched off... even my curling tong does the same thing....

so now i unplug all hair appliances straight after use.. better be safe than sorry..

same here hun...after watching watchdog i always unplug my straightners.....just wandered if everyone did aswell....thanks for your reply x

Iv bought my daughter some today from my local salon £149,iv had a look and the gift set is lovely all in gold,compact mirror with gems on,large gold bag,small gold bag,straightners,2 liquid products,dvd and all in gold she will love it.Didnt really want to spend at that end of the scale only about £120 but this gift set is lovely so that will be her main prezy xx