Do I reduce my prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetie10

Reaction score
I have been doing nails for 13 years now, past 10 years been self employed mainly working mobile. In 10 years I have increased my prices once by £1.
In my local area anybody and everybody seem to be offering nail services, mainly Shellac.... The problem I have is that the majority are offering Shellac between £10-£17, I have always charged £22 but people seem to be looking for the best price these days! A few people have questioned why I charge so much when not doing anything different from the rest!
This seems to be the case with extensions too..... A lady was shocked the other day by the price I charge, she pays £17 cheaper for full set with gel polish, although her nails not the best she is obviously happy with them.
Do I reduce my prices(gain less profit!) to try and gain more clients or do I stick to my guns like I have all these years and stick with my prices??? I feel if I start offers people will only be interested when offer on. Or do i have to except that my prices are too high in my area and cut prices??

Do you explain that you use shellac? I imagine the other salons are using cheaper brands

I do explain about using Shellac but majority of these places are using Shellac too! Don't know how they can be making a decent profit! Some ladies ive spoke to are unaware of differences until I explain and every gel polish is being referred to as Shellac!

Is it effecting your business that your prices are "expensive" or are you doing fine? The other nails are far to cheap in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Keep them as they are, if your standard of work is better than the cheaper places then you ARE doing something different! Trust me, there will always be people that value quality over price, you just have to target them. I'm priced slightly higher again and clients seek me out x

Sent from my SM-G850F using SalonGeek mobile app

I have my regulars who pay my prices and do as they are very happy with their nails and they last well. I would just like to gain some more new clients but finding it hard.

Ask your regulars to refer a friend and give then a little incentive for it

If you are making enough and your work is worth the money then stick to your prices. Have you thought about maybe doing a loyalty system to encourage your clients to keep coming back regularly maybe after 5 treatments give them a £10 off or something as appose to bringing down your prices. It doesnt make sense for you to work hard to get more custom to make the same money as you are now. Your prices will be what they are for a reason and I am sure you would have worked your prices out realisticly when u started up. You have good experiance and putting your prices down wont quarentee you more custom. Maybe focus on upselling to the clients you have maybe add a pedi for £15 or whatever when they are getting there nails done. Good luck whatever u do x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Most clients don't care whether you are using Shellac or not.. They just want a product to last and get value for money.
I'm the most expensive nail tech in my area, and my diary is full.
I just decided to stick to my prices a few years ago and people keep coming cos I do a good job, in a quick time and I'm friendly and chatty.. that's what clients want

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back