Do I refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgie127

Reaction score
hi geeks,
need your help again,been up all night worried about this.
I had 2 new clients last thursday one for full set of gels and the other for rebalance on acrylics.well everything went well they seemed happy with results and last night I received a text message from their niece to say that the gels had fallen off and the rebalance looked like I done nothing to her nails and the lady who had the gels done wanted a full refund.
I have to ring this girl this morning but I really don't know how to handle this situation.I did have nails fall off my sister that was 14months ago while I was still training since then it has never happened I also put a full set on myself the following day and they are still on so I'm baffled but the one thing I am wondering is did she pick them as she is a nail biter.Oh I feel bad over this as I have only started advertising about 6 weeks ago for home and mobile and its not taking off quite like I hoped it would and now this seems to be the icing on the cake I don't want to give up but my confidence is just not great at the minute
well any help on how to deal with this would be great you guys are fab and I have learned so much from this site
thanks in advance

hi geeks,
need your help again,been up all night worried about this.
I had 2 new clients last thursday one for full set of gels and the other for rebalance on acrylics.well everything went well they seemed happy with results and last night I received a text message from their niece to say that the gels had fallen off and the rebalance looked like I done nothing to her nails and the lady who had the gels done wanted a full refund.
I have to ring this girl this morning but I really don't know how to handle this situation.I did have nails fall off my sister that was 14months ago while I was still training since then it has never happened I also put a full set on myself the following day and they are still on so I'm baffled but the one thing I am wondering is did she pick them as she is a nail biter.Oh I feel bad over this as I have only started advertising about 6 weeks ago for home and mobile and its not taking off quite like I hoped it would and now this seems to be the icing on the cake I don't want to give up but my confidence is just not great at the minute
well any help on how to deal with this would be great you guys are fab and I have learned so much from this site
thanks in advance

Nail biters are notorious pickers and they are notorious complainers .. always ask for their money back and then go off and get another full set from some other salon and do the same to them.

I NEVER guarantee enhancments on a nail biter. I can guarantee my work but not what their teeth will do to my work. And I tell them that at the very first appointment so they know there will be no refund ever.

So to deal with this. I would tell her the above and add that neither your nails or other clients' who are not biters hve the same problems.

As for lady with the rebalance ... they're not supposed to look like you did anything to them .. ask her to come in and let you see them first hand and then decide whether you in fact need to do more or not.

Thanks geeg,your great,
I haven't seen either of these ladies since they were done but do find it hard to believe they just "fell off".I will call her to see them and take it from there,
will take your advice but just a quick question regarding the nail biter do I offer to fix them or just leave them alone

Thanks geeg,your great,
I haven't seen either of these ladies since they were done but do find it hard to believe they just "fell off".I will call her to see them and take it from there,
will take your advice but just a quick question regarding the nail biter do I offer to fix them or just leave them alone

I would say that you can repair her nails or do another full set, but that she must understand that it will be charged at normal price. Nail biters abuse enhancements and they abuse their own nails. They just can't complain to or blame anyone else but themselves for abusing their own nails, but they can't wait to blame the nail tchnician for any problems they encounter with enhancements ... laughable really. Just stick to your guns and a no refund policy to biters/pickers/abusers.

Oh geeg,
thanks for your help you really are fab,will get on to her today and let you know how it goes
thanks a million

Great advice from Geeg on this . . . I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say, when I read your post, it took me back about four years to when I was just starting to advertise and build up a small clientele. I was on a real high. Then just a couple of negative comments come along and whether deserved or not, it doesn't half knock your confidence. You won't feel like that when you have more experience under your belt. I'm sure most of us have gone through what you're feeling. Just wanted to say I know how you're feeling :hug: - you don't need to, honestly. If only I'd known thenwhat I know now about pickers and biters and free-riders grrrrrr. Some people do try it on a bit! I always used to blame myself and repair/refund at will because I thought the customer was always right . . . . well they're not!! :lol:

hey blossom,
you have just cheered me up:Grope:
I was actually starting to think maybe its me maybe I'm rubbish I knew when I started training it wasn't going to be easy but I don't think I realised how hard it would be also, I have had a knock to my confidence but I will stick with it because I am loving what I am capable of and with time will learn so much more
so thank you for your kind words it means alot :hug:
and in the future I will be prepared for these nail biters:mad:

I'm in the exact same situation at the moment, I had a lady phone today who isin't happy as she had her nails done on Friday and 3 have fallen off, while the rest are starting to lift. She doesn't want to pay more money to have them repaired or have them taken off, and if I'm going to charge her she will just take them off herself. I've asked her to come in tomorrow morning so I can have a look. I have no idea how to handle this situation. This is her first set of nails and she isin't even a nail biter. It was natural tips, gel overlay and glitter painted on tip. I use NSI Balance gel and prepped as normal the way I was taught. Any advice on how to handle the situation would be appreciated. Thanks:cry:

I'm in the exact same situation at the moment, I had a lady phone today who isin't happy as she had her nails done on Friday and 3 have fallen off, while the rest are starting to lift. She doesn't want to pay more money to have them repaired or have them taken off, and if I'm going to charge her she will just take them off herself. I've asked her to come in tomorrow morning so I can have a look. I have no idea how to handle this situation. This is her first set of nails and she isin't even a nail biter. It was natural tips, gel overlay and glitter painted on tip. I use NSI Balance gel and prepped as normal the way I was taught. Any advice on how to handle the situation would be appreciated. Thanks:cry:

You have to assess the situation and then hold your hand up if the problem has been because of your lack of experience.

If nails are lifting after one or two days, even in the first week, I'd say the trouble lay with you. Assuming she is not a picker or a biter- It is not always the client's fault- if you are responsible, then say so and re do.

Just read your post and thought I would mention my experience. I've just opened my nail bar within a Hair Salon and everything is going really well. I did a set of gel overlays using clear tips with cracked ice on the free edge last Saturday. The Client had very short nails (a nail biter) and I did struggle to get the tips on. I did say that it would be difficult to attach any kind of extension as her nails were so short. She called me this morning to say that she had lost two and one was lifting. I asked her to call in later so that I could have a look at them, which she did and I repaired them without charge. I also pointed out that if she has any further problems then we should think about trying something else i.e. sculptured acrylic. I also said that if this was going to be the next step, then she should wait a week or two for the natural nail to grow so that the extension would have a better chance of staying on. I think that as long was you make it totally clear on the outset then they can't keep coming back expecting free nails!!

hi all,
just an update on yesterdays drama! I called the niece as this was the girl that sent text and she told me her aunts nails looked like they had been on months and that 2 had fallen off and that the rebalance looked as if nothing had been done so I said that as I hadn't seen them I couldn't assess them and offered to call to see and fix if need be the nails she said her aunt was not keen on having them redone and that she wasn't home but she would say it to her and get her to ring me herself and I haven't heard anything since yesterday morning so I am keeping fingers crossed that I hear no more
but thank you guys for all the advice

Hiya,

I read this thread when it first came up, but I haven't had the time to write before now.

Maybe I am the idiot here, but I would have told her to come back at once and I would have redone her nails for free. I would not given her the money back, but I would have helped her out. After all, it COULD have been my fault and since none of us knew, I would have thought: "This is my bread and butter, I need all clients to be happy, so sh** happens if I have to work extra to do her happy!"

I have been doing nails for 9,5 years. Some months ago I had a new client. 7 days after her new set, she called to tell 50% of her nails had been lifting. I told her to come straight and I would help her out. I was fullly booked but I worked extra to help her. Even when I have a full book and normally don't take new clients (she was a friend of a client of me) I DON'T need any bad reputation. She came, I fixed it, and she has not had problems with lifting at all later. She is happy and I am happy because she books new appointments every time she sees me. And guess what? She say I am the best nailtech she has ever been to!

C.

i would say always check out the clients nails if a complaint is made and then decide what to do

especially if they want a refund, why should a nail picker/biter get their money back because thay have damaged their own nails!

georgie keep your head up

hi cec
When I called the niece yesterday I offered to call to her aunt any time that day and I would have a look and if needed I would fix them I didn't mention charging extra which I don't think I would have ( maybe if I had more years under my belt I might) and the niece told me she would get the aunt to ring herself as it was through the niece I got these 2 clients so didn't have a number for her but as I said I heard nothing ,I know its my reputation and thats why I rang and offered to fix the problem.
thank you for your advice

thank you chantell

hi cec
When I called the niece yesterday I offered to call to her aunt any time that day and I would have a look and if needed I would fix them I didn't mention charging extra which I don't think I would have ( maybe if I had more years under my belt I might) and the niece told me she would get the aunt to ring herself as it was through the niece I got these 2 clients so didn't have a number for her but as I said I heard nothing ,I know its my reputation and thats why I rang and offered to fix the problem.
thank you for your advice

You seamed to handle it very well hun! :) I just wanted to tell you that this can happen to anybody, even techs that has been working for nearly 10 years! :) The thing to do WHEN it happens is to handle it with care and you have to handle quick, before the clients gets irritated and starts talking to others. It doesn't help whose fault it is if she gives you bad reputation! After all, the client CAN go to another tech... (I am not speaking only to you, but in general I think it's important to remember.)

C.

hey cec,
I understand what you are saying and yes I worry about my reputation especially as I am only 6 weeks out on my own doing home and mobile and this was only my 3rd mobile call as all the rest are happy to come to me,
I appreciate your advice thank you

no refund policy to biters/pickers/abusers.
Now that is a line screaming to be used on my aftercare leaflet!!!

Latest posts

Back