Do I risk it or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan searle

Meganjane07
Reaction score
Hi,

Really looking for some advice as I'm unsure on what to do/where to go. Sorry that this is a long and confusing thread!

I've been working in an office for a year now as I was previously a waitress but I just wanted a change and didn't really know what I wanted to do for a job so the office job it was.
I did study beauty and hair at college as a GCSE diploma whilst I was at school and got my diploma but never carried on after school due to personal circumstances, but my heart has always been it in, so I decided I would go back and study for my NVQS. Since working in the office, as I have had weekends free, I have been studying my NVQ level 2 beauty and I will qualify in July, I will then go on to do my level 3. When I am qualified I would like to work in a salon and I will do mobile on friends and family as well.

I have been working extra days back waitressing outside of my other job and the course to get a bit more money. However my waitressing job have now offered me my old job back, but only doing permanent part time hours and then having extra seasonal shifts through summer (May-October) and they will be full time, but obviously from October I will only be on around 20-25 hours a week. I also have a friend that owns a salon and she has offered me a job to work every other Saturday (outside of my course and other job) just to get some experience and eventually she said I can go self employed if I wish in the future.

This is my problem -
I don't know whether to leave my office job that I am secure in and the money's okay but not great (I am able to pay for my course, rent etc) and still have some money left at the end of the month. I will be able to continue to do my level 3 that I will finish in April/May next year and then will look for work in a salon full time. I will still work every other Saturday at my friend's salon as well.

Or do I - just risk it and take my old job back waitressing, where I can still do my level 3 course but the money won't be as good when the shifts go down in winter and I probably won't have as much money left over each month. I will save £100 as I won't have to travel far to work every day which is a bonus and I also get tips from waitressing. I will also do mobile work outside of waitressing and work every other Saturday at my friend's salon.
This is what I really want to do as it will give me the opportunity to do my beauty more and gain experience, I will be happier, but i can't always guarantee I will take home good money.

I just feel like I'm stuck and don't know which direction to go in :(

thank you in advance for any advice x

Hi,

Really looking for some advice as I'm unsure on what to do/where to go. Sorry that this is a long and confusing thread!

I've been working in an office for a year now as I was previously a waitress but I just wanted a change and didn't really know what I wanted to do for a job so the office job it was.
I did study beauty and hair at college as a GCSE diploma whilst I was at school and got my diploma but never carried on after school due to personal circumstances, but my heart has always been it in, so I decided I would go back and study for my NVQS. Since working in the office, as I have had weekends free, I have been studying my NVQ level 2 beauty and I will qualify in July, I will then go on to do my level 3. When I am qualified I would like to work in a salon and I will do mobile on friends and family as well.

I have been working extra days back waitressing outside of my other job and the course to get a bit more money. However my waitressing job have now offered me my old job back, but only doing permanent part time hours and then having extra seasonal shifts through summer (May-October) and they will be full time, but obviously from October I will only be on around 20-25 hours a week. I also have a friend that owns a salon and she has offered me a job to work every other Saturday (outside of my course and other job) just to get some experience and eventually she said I can go self employed if I wish in the future.

This is my problem -
I don't know whether to leave my office job that I am secure in and the money's okay but not great (I am able to pay for my course, rent etc) and still have some money left at the end of the month. I will be able to continue to do my level 3 that I will finish in April/May next year and then will look for work in a salon full time. I will still work every other Saturday at my friend's salon as well.

Or do I - just risk it and take my old job back waitressing, where I can still do my level 3 course but the money won't be as good when the shifts go down in winter and I probably won't have as much money left over each month. I will save £100 as I won't have to travel far to work every day which is a bonus and I also get tips from waitressing. I will also do mobile work outside of waitressing and work every other Saturday at my friend's salon.
This is what I really want to do as it will give me the opportunity to do my beauty more and gain experience, I will be happier, but i can't always guarantee I will take home good money.

I just feel like I'm stuck and don't know which direction to go in :(

thank you in advance for any advice x

Hi,

Wow that's a lot going and I am not sure I have the answer but am in a similar position to you.

I work 3 days a week in my day job, 2 evenings a week in a salon and 1 day a week training, mobile for myself and home clients.

I have decided to keep the job with the "Bread & Butter" money (which is your office job by the sounds of it, same as me).
I am then taking on a room in a local salon (diff. to my training salon this will be my own work) working 3 days a week (rent is weekly - but this will be supported by my 2 evenings in the salon job - where I train, and do my 1 day training a week).

By not giving up the Bread & Butter job I reduce the risk to my family financially. Time wise I will work long long hours but this hopefully will pay off later down the road when training is all finished and my client base is up. The salon work experience where I train is very valuable and I do not want to lose this so its long hours hard work and keeping the day job for me.

So now I have waffled on what I am getting at is......

Perhaps keep the office job if it is good money, finish the training and if you can take the salon Saturday work around the training and the office jump at the chance, its too valuable and you will need experience.

I hope this makes sense limit the financial risk, work hard and you WILL succeed xx

If either way you still need to keep a reliable amount of money coming in I would stick with the office job on the basis that financially it meets your needs at the moment.

Once you're level 3 qualified it would be a good time to apply for full time work in the beauty industry. Spas are quite easy to get into if you're level 3 qualified.

Thankyou very much :) I think I am going to stick at my current job for now and just see what happens, If i do find a job in a salon full time before next year I will go there!
xx

If you're young without kids, then just go for it. Take a few risks.

You can play it safe when you're older and limited by mortgages and children and have fewer opportunities.

'Youth is wasted on the young' - George Bernard Shaw.

If you're young without kids, then just go for it. Take a few risks.

You can play it safe when you're older and limited by mortgages and children and have fewer opportunities.

'Youth is wasted on the young' - George Bernard Shaw.

Sorry for the late reply, been working non stop the last week! thank-you for this, I have been thinking about it so much and I am more towards just taking the risk now, as I will be working the salon every other Saturday and Sunday from august, so I will have extra money from that!

I still live at home with my parents but pay rent, it's a lot cheaper than if i was to move out though.

I think I'm going to just go for it and then worry about not having as much money in winter when it gets there, I will just save more through summer and hopefully have some regular mobile client's outside of work through winter.

thank you for the advice :) xx

Latest posts

Back