Do I start again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katysnails83

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Its been ages since I have been on here!

I just want a bit of advice - I gave up nails properly about 2 years ago, which upsets me really - but I couldn't get a job I had my own room in a salon but the owner of the salon had major money problems (unknown to me) and one day the other hairdresser said to me get your stuff out of your room or it will have all gone - so me and my boyfriend went that night and moved everything out - and low and behold on the following day one of my clients rang me to say the owner had shut up shop and taken absolutely everything in the shop even client's belongings - she was never heard from again - as far as I am aware. So I started doing nails mobile for the few client's I had gained from having my own room - then a new salon opened in their area offering really cheap set of nails - one of my client's rang me to tell me that the girl who did her nails wasnt very good at all and she later found out that the techs had simply used a Rio kit to "train" then opened the salon!!

Well this all disheartened me so I decided I had to give my passion up :(

My best friend is a nail tech has been for 10 years she has her own salon at home - she is fantastic she does my nails for me - but she has given me the bug again to want to start again - but I just don't know what to do?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

xx

Black In Green Photography - Home

Hun it sounds like you still have a passion for it, you only live once, so go for it!!!! Show the other techs round you how it should be done!!!! :) :hug:

I'm so glad you started this thread. I am just about to restart my nail career after about 2 years away as well. I left for a different reason than you. I just had no confidence in my work back then so I chickened out and quit.

But I'm back! You should come on back too! I know you can find a situation that will work for you. I've never lost my love of nails even though I felt like a failure. You sound like you still love them too. We need to stick with what we love...lol. So you're not alone and this site seems like a great place to get any help you need.

Hugs, Dorothy H
Opening soon...Pretty Digits Nail Room

are you opening your own salon Dorothy?

I have also been through a similar problem.. I quit doing nails for a couple years, I was ready to give it all up, it wasn't because of my work, it was because of financial stress and physical problems.. I had such bad back problems I didn't think I could do it..

But, I couldn't take it anymore.. I thought I was wasting tallent and desided to take another shot.. Come to find out my bad physical problems had a lot to do with my boyfriend at the time, A-hole.. My back still gets sore, but it doesn't even compare, and I have the most wonderful man anyone could ask for.. Business is booming, and now I'm opening up my own salon!! Yay!!:)

So I think you need to do this, you have a passion, I thought I would be okay with never doing nails, ever again.. Heck no, I had to, I have a passion too!

Hi Katy

Yes you should start again don't let anything or anyone put you off. I am just starting out I too my husband has changed one of the bedrooms into a salon for me the hardest thing is finding the clients other than family who don't really want to pay, but I'm confident with the right advertising the clients should start coming in. Any advice welcome....

Hi everyone

Its been ages since I have been on here!

I just want a bit of advice - I gave up nails properly about 2 years ago, which upsets me really - but I couldn't get a job I had my own room in a salon but the owner of the salon had major money problems (unknown to me) and one day the other hairdresser said to me get your stuff out of your room or it will have all gone - so me and my boyfriend went that night and moved everything out - and low and behold on the following day one of my clients rang me to say the owner had shut up shop and taken absolutely everything in the shop even client's belongings - she was never heard from again - as far as I am aware. So I started doing nails mobile for the few client's I had gained from having my own room - then a new salon opened in their area offering really cheap set of nails - one of my client's rang me to tell me that the girl who did her nails wasnt very good at all and she later found out that the techs had simply used a Rio kit to "train" then opened the salon!!

Well this all disheartened me so I decided I had to give my passion up :(

My best friend is a nail tech has been for 10 years she has her own salon at home - she is fantastic she does my nails for me - but she has given me the bug again to want to start again - but I just don't know what to do?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

xx

Black In Green Photography - Home
Hi...i think you had un unfortunate set of circumstances...but hey get out there if you have the passion and the drive:green:

Do you have a record of your previous clients and could cultivate some back,?

I see you are creative trained,if funds allow get some one to one for a refresher course....good luck:)

Go With Your Heart.

Here I am replying...finally! Yes I am opening my own salon. I actually have a room on the front of my house that I am using. I spent this weekend setting it up. I will be opening on 6th of November. I'm nervous but excited as well. I have been practising my pink and white scultps in both L&P and gels. I want to make sure I can do a great job and have some confidence. I know going it alone like this will take hard work. I've seen some yucky looking nails around my neighborhood...lol. I think they all need me....ha ha ha ha.

Hi...i think you had un unfortunate set of circumstances...but hey get out there if you have the passion and the drive:green:

Do you have a record of your previous clients and could cultivate some back,?

I see you are creative trained,if funds allow get some one to one for a refresher course....good luck:)
I second that.. you do need a refresher course..you want to impress those clients and keep them..enhancement skills are often lost if you dont keep up with them, especially after a year or more..but nothing that a refresher course wont help! wishing you all the best xox

Oh yes, I agree with the refresher course as well. I myself am looking around right now to find one. I am looking at taking an EZ Flow workshop because that is my system of choice for L&P. Since you use Creative, then taking a Creative class is a great idea.

Hugs, Dorothy
Opening soon...Pretty Digits Nail Room

Latest posts

Back