Do many guys do this...??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammm

Reaction score
i was just wondering, as i am new to all this, are there many guys who are nail technicians..you see the salons full of women doing nails but are there many guys? if so how do they fair to the ladies? ( excuse my ignorance if there are lots.. as i said i'm new to all this) Leese..

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Yes, there are quite a few men who are nail technicians. Some of the really big names like Samual Sweet, Leighton Denny, Tom Holcombe to name but a few are all men !

We have quite a few Geeky men on here as well :)

River

I personally would be quite happy to have my nails done by a male tech

There are certainly many men who are top of the game in nails, so don't feel intimidated by all us women. LOL.

I think it is nice to see men doing nails, you rarely get a man who takes an interest in how their hands look, plus looking after others hands.

This is great industry to be in, there are some not so good points, but then it would be boring if there wasn't. Go for it mate.

How did you get into doing nails?

Ive always been a nail bitter, i used to buy the sets of stick on nails in the high street shops etc, then a friend stayed for a while and told me she used to blend tips with acetone to do 'weekender nails' i started doing this, then really wanted to progress and do a nail corse.. i really think i need to go on other courses though.. i don't know what half of you are talking about... for instance tip n dip... obviously tip is to apply a tip.. when you dip are you dipping into ????? sorry to sound geeky I am new to all this !

Sammm said:
i really think i need to go on other courses though.. i don't know what half of you are talking about... for instance tip n dip... obviously tip is to apply a tip.. when you dip are you dipping into ????? sorry to sound geeky I am new to all this !
who did you train with? what products do you use? (your profile doesn't say)
there are many courses you can do to help with skills, techniques etc.

tip and dip refers to tipping the nail, coating it with a resin then dipping it into acrylic powder, tapping off the excess, reapplying resin etc...
it's not a system i personally use but some Geeks do and have great success with it.

Hi I trained at Capitals in Ipswich.. And i am sure it was salon systems who trained us ,it was just a short corse and we used salon system products.. there isn't really much of a choice there to try other products..To be honest i really think i need to go on another corse which is more in depth.. the girl that taught us was great, but there is only so much you can learn in a week ! What i would like to do is just sit with someone who does nails all day and watch their technique and pick up some good tips...This site is a real big help especially the tutorials. but as the site is so big its easy to get lost ! I must say though you are all a friendly bunch of girls who are always ready to help each other out.. well done.. xx Leese

Hi I trained at Capitals in Ipswich.. And i am sure it was salon systems who trained us ,it was just a short corse and we used salon system products.. there isn't really much of a choice there to try other products..To be honest i really think i need to go on another corse which is more in depth.. the girl that taught us was great, but there is only so much you can learn in a week ! What i would like to do is just sit with someone who does nails all day and watch their technique and pick up some good tips...This site is a real big help especially the tutorials. but as the site is so big its easy to get lost ! I must say though you are all a friendly bunch of girls who are always ready to help each other out.. well done.. xx Leese
Short courses are very basic and it will definitely be a good idea to do more indepth and thorough training with one of the big names in nail products. Watching other techs can help but if they have any bad habits then you can also pick these up:eek: which you might have to unlearn to learn the proper way of doing things. Try searching training on here and look at Sassy Hassy's tutorial on training...that will give you some idea of where to go now.

Thanx for that will def' look into getting some more training....

Hi
I have trained with a man tech..his name Marco Benito He's a talented man.
Jenx

years and years ago when I knew nothing about nails and probably still don't, I used to go to a salon just off Oxford street and a guy called Charlie (American) used to do my nails he was fab then he left and the salon would not tell me where he went, have not found anyone better still and always wonder what happened to him.

Charlie if you are out there hope you are doing great, you inspierd me to do nails.

Hi M8 im a male nail tech & have been for 4 yrs now. I work in a beauty salon in blackpool. It's fab being the only lad at work. All the girls love me doing nails for them and am nearly always fully booked. So get in there & make a name for yourself.:)

i used to work with a male tech, he was great and loved being surrounded by women every day!

Hi Samm

Yes there are quite a lot of Men who do nails, myself included.
There are quite a lot of us crawling around here on the Geek, infact GMG (Samual Sweet) is the creator of this site.

Personally I find that being a male makes us something of a novelty in such a new industry, kind of like when Men started to enter the world of hair dressing. Well it works out well for me! ;)

Latest posts

Back