Do many of you use normal nail polish over acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmalou91x

Reaction score
I have just had a girl contact me, wants acrylics but with normal nail polish colour on top. I have only used gelish so far on acrylics. This girl is adamant she doesnt want gelish. And she has been else where and said they use a normal polish to coat and then a uv top coat x

I use nail polish over enhancements for a few of my ladies. Most want Shellac for the shine and durability but some simply can't afford it (and, let's face it, it lasts until maintenance appointments anyway)!

I don't use a UV topcoat though. I use CND Super Shiney or Lumos.

xx

Last edited:
I use normal nail polish over acrylics as VerdePurdy said it lasts. I use China Glaze first and last over the top and haven't had any trouble. hth x

I've heard that there were a whole bunch of nail techncians in the South of the UK who were applying Coloured Bio Sculpture Nail Polish to nails & then locking it in with UV Top Coat to prevent chipping etc. Needless to say Bio themselves werent impressed & stamped down on it... (How they would be able to enforce/follow through with that I dont know, but I do know that this was being done at some point & it must have been effective ...

You can use any Normal polish over acrylics, the polish will last until the next app. I do it on a lot of my clients and use a uv top coat on top.

Normal polish lasts really well on acrylics and client can also remove with acetone free remover and repaint if they wish.

I use normal nail polish on my acrylics, it does last.

However if you was doing Shellac over acrylics, what would you charge?

Would you later like you do a normal shellac?

I often used nomal opi polish over my l&p enhancements then topcoat (not uv topcat) at the moment I have hard gel enhancements and I have china glaze on 9 nails shellac on 1, both done n same day and both looking good, I always use Lumos over nail polish whether on normal nails or enhancements.

I thought most people generally used nail polish on acrylics as it really does last a lot longer than applying it to the natural nail, just make sure you seal the ends and apply a good top coat such as Seche Vite and they should look spectacular!

I thought that uv topcoat on polish will make it crack. Is this not the case if acrylic is underneath?

To be honest unless my.lady is a cleaner or a handy woman I don't always use a gel top coat as the polish doesent chip as what usually makes the polish chip is the oils from the natural nail plate , you will be perfectly fine to do this and ad had been mentioned you could put s uv cured top coat over to be safe x

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I,too, thought uv top coats over polish made the polish crack? Could you list the ones that are ok to use please peeps?
The Uv top coats that i currently have are: NSI Glaze n Go, CND Brisa top gloss, Gelish top coat, IBD uv Top coat....would any of these work???
cheers xx

Anyone know the answer to my above post^^^?? xx

I,too, thought uv top coats over polish made the polish crack? Could you list the ones that are ok to use please peeps?
The Uv top coats that i currently have are: NSI Glaze n Go, CND Brisa top gloss, Gelish top coat, IBD uv Top coat....would any of these work???
cheers xx

I've always used NSI Glaze n Go with a acrylics and regular polish - no problem there!

x

Last edited:
cheers xx

Some UV systems have been made specifically for use over polish, do a quick search - apparently IBD UV Top Coat can be used over nail polish.

xxx

cheers xx

Nsi glaze n go does make the polish crack.

NSI glaze n go will make polish crack on natural nails but not over acrylics. I don't do it on my clients but I do put glaze n go over my own polish (over my acrylics) so that the acetone etc doesn't keep removing my polish. Just make sure its really dry.

To answer your first question, most of my acrylic ladies have ordinary nail polish over their acrylics.... I use OPI polishes which are fabulous and Lumos top coat which is really glossy and keeps its shine and the polish is always still on 2/3 weeks down the line when they return for infills. So while a couple will pay for shellac on top, most don't see the need and I have to say I don't either, when I look at how well their polish does.

In Sally's they sell Seche nail polish and Seche have designed a UV activated too top coat specially designed for use with ordinary nail polish x

Can I ask what you put on the acrylic nails under the polish ie do you use a base coat and also do you seal the acrylic nail with something like glaze and go before you polish?

Latest posts

Back