Do nail techs hate doing pedicures?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaL

Reaction score
I've read a lot on this board that many nail techs don't like doing pedicures. Now I know that is not everyone but I want to know why the displeasure with this service?

If you enjoy it, please state why.

:)

MelissaL said:
I've read a lot on this board that many nail techs don't like doing pedicures. Know I know that is not everyone but I want to know why the displeasure with this service?

If you enjoy it, please state why.

:)
Well Melissa i cant say its my favourite coz, lets face it, who wants to be touching other people's smelly feet but on the other hand i offer the service coz so many people want it - especially in the summer and normally with nail art so even more profit!!

Hope this answers your question!

I suppose, for me it is like most phobias - it starts with a bad experience LOL.

I used to enjoy doing them and I had a few regulars who came towards the Summer wanting pedicures.

Until the fateful day, I had a call from an older lady who wanted her nails trimmed and a bit of varnish for the weekend. When she took off her shoes, there was dried blood - I kid you not - when I looked nearer she had what I would describe as claw nails where the nails resembled dogs claws. They had turned inwards and had caught her skin - when she had tried to trim them she had cut her skin.

Sorry guys but this did it for me LOL - I suggested to her that she contacted her GP for a referral to a Podiatrist. She got a bit edgy with me and told me that she had walked on these feet for 60 years without any trouble and who was I to tell her she need to have her feet looked at by a Doctor.

I don't really get much call for pedis so I don't really think I am turning away a huge amount of business. I will paint toe nails to match fingernails if the client asks but the whole 9 yards is not for me at the mo - but never say never.

Sawasdee ka

I love to do feet b4 i learn to do nail enhancements my job was foot reflexology and pedicures i would do this all day every day .

I love when you finish and the feet are very clean and soft and i love to see nice polish and maybe some nail art on toe nail because very pretty .

I like to do pedicure more then manicure but i enjoy make nail enhancement number one .

Mui from Thailand

Hi ya, well i actually dont mind it, i always thought i would never be able to touch feet but after they had been in the foot spa and i had them in my lap i didnt find it as frightening as i thought, but saying that i havent had to experience any really bad feet apart from my boyfriends whose got dodgy toe nails from constantly playing football lol!!! I do find them easier to work with because i find people tend to keep their feet still better than their hands (well the feet that i have done so far anyway). Anyway thats my pennies worth hope it helps x

Feet are a definite no no for me....have a phobia and wont even touch my husbands feet, so couldn't see myself being a pedicurist! Give me a set of hands any day (even with all the trials and tribulation of L&P)!

I dont mind doing feet, They all go in the footspa first, So are nice and clean.
In my experience you should be more worried doing the nails on the hand, Well them fingers go in the most odd places, Where the toes dont ;)

Absolutely love it (probably a bit weird!!). I used to have a real phobia about feet but having had a course of reflexology treatment I realised how much of an effect feet can have on your sense of wellbeing. The difference you can make to a pair of poor neglected footsies (I think more so than hands) is amazing and for the client I think a pedi is almost as much about the mind as it is about the feet.

Hope this makes sense?!

Soz said:
Absolutely love it (probably a bit weird!!). I used to have a real phobia about feet but having had a course of reflexology treatment I realised how much of an effect feet can have on your sense of wellbeing. The difference you can make to a pair of poor neglected footsies (I think more so than hands) is amazing and for the client I think a pedi is almost as much about the mind as it is about the feet.

Hope this makes sense?!
Oh i understand what you mean. I wish somebody would do a pedicure on me ;) . I can feel myself going all gooey with relaxation just talking about it!! In fact, i think it is more relaxing than having a manicure!

Carole Lindsay said:
Well Melissa i cant say its my favourite coz, lets face it, who wants to be touching other people's smelly feet
Why would they be smelly?? If we are pedicuring, would we not first soak the feet for at least 5 minutes in something that softens, cleanses etc befoe touching them!!?? I LOVE having a pedicure and I know and understand that some people's feet are scuzzy - but surely if you pedicure them beautifully - these clients will gradually learn to take care of their own feet hence no more scuzziness or funky smells when they arrive for their pedicure ...just a thought! :cool:

BTW - Hand s are surely far more filthy than most peoples feet and yet most teks allow their clients to sit down infront of them without even making the client first wash their hands - NOW THAT'S THOUGHT PROVOKING!!!

I don't have a problem with treating people's feet - and (if they are not very smelly) i find it a bit of a mystery why people often have a "thing" about not treating feet.

Can't say i really enjoy treating those people with really ingrained smelliness which doesn't seem to want to come off - i always use gloves for pedicures, for this reason and b/c all that scrubbing dries my hands out.

I've also had some people with build up of dead skin and ick under their nails which is a bit gross.

But...i like the way all these people go away with nice clean pampered sorted out feet!

i really dont mind doing em ,as long as the toenails resemble human ones lol :) but i quite like it coz it really relaxes em, and the can look so nice afterwards, i think people look really good when they have lovely toes in sandals , we dress everywhere else up so why not feet, (god do i sound weird) saying that i will only let hubby touch my feet!!

I luuuuuurve doing pedicures!! I dont really know why (its not a fetish!!), even though I did always want to be a chiropodist when I was younger :eek: . I love the way they look afterwards, all pretty and clean and soft lol :D I find it very theraputic for me too, especially when massaging the legs and feet. Plus there's lots of lovely products to 'play' with (I use the SpaPedicure range from Creative) and they all smell GORGEOUS, and make the salon smell yummy too lol :D

I much prefer doing pedicures than manicures. Plus seeing people walking around in open toe shoes with nasty painted toenails and dry, unpampered feet makes me cringe! :eek:

xxlaylaxx

Mrs Geek said:
Why would they be smelly?? If we are pedicuring, would we not first soak the feet for at least 5 minutes in something that softens, cleanses etc befoe touching them!!?? I LOVE having a pedicure and I know and understand that some people's feet are scuzzy - but surely if you pedicure them beautifully - these clients will gradually learn to take care of their own feet hence no more scuzziness or funky smells when they arrive for their pedicure ...just a thought! :cool:

BTW - Hand s are surely far more filthy than most peoples feet and yet most teks allow their clients to sit down infront of them without even making the client first wash their hands - NOW THAT'S THOUGHT PROVOKING!!!
I dont think i'd thought about what people touch before sitting in front of us with their hands, lol!! As far as feet are concerned, some people just have smelly feet no matter how many times you wash 'em!! Unfortunately as far as clients learning to take care of their own feet - i wish everybody thought like u!!

Best wishes,

i love doing pedi`s
its great to see such an improvement, the crustier the better for me, i love to get loads of hard skin off lol

How about doing this one dawn, Mmmmmmmmm :lol:

Attachments

• footjpg.jpg
    footjpg.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 77
Holy cow! How long has that person been dead??? Is that a corpse?

my god that is awful, i think i would faint if i saw that :cry: , where the hell did you find it lol

Carole Lindsay said:
I dont think i'd thought about what people touch before sitting in front of us with their hands, lol!!
I once sat and thought about this for a while - I think it was after a client (years ago) arrived for her re-balance with 'red manky stuff' under her nails and informed me she had just delivered a calf!!! After that, all clients washed with soap and water and I then Cool Blued for good measure!!!

As far as feet are concerned, some people just have smelly feet no matter how many times you wash 'em!!
Yikes - hadn't thought of that - I assumed Foaming Sea Soak and AHA Sea Rocks got rid of EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately as far as clients learning to take care of their own feet - i wish everybody thought like u!!
OK maybe I am being a little too positive; the reason I said this is because for years I tore my toe nails off - literally!! Sounds terrible I know; I used to pick and pick and I had the ugliest toes! I soon realised that I wouldn't be able to wear these fab strappy shoes with these ugly toes so I stopped and started getting mum to pedicure them! My feet were in a photo shoot last week and I have REALLY cared for them for the last 10 years!! Once they started looking gorgeous, I didn't want to mess with them!! I guess I am hoping that others would feel the same - from bad to good and staying that way!

OK maybe I am being a little too positive; the reason I said this is because for years I tore my toe nails off - literally!! Sounds terrible I know; I used to pick and pick and I had the ugliest toes! I soon realised that I wouldn't be able to wear these fab strappy shoes with these ugly toes so I stopped and started getting mum to pedicure them! My feet were in a photo shoot last week and I have REALLY cared for them for the last 10 years!! Once they started looking gorgeous, I didn't want to mess with them!! I guess I am hoping that others would feel the same - from bad to good and staying that way!

Well you're a good example for all! Lets hope most of our clients take a leaf outta your book eh?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back