do nails breathe!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lids pinkies

Reaction score
hi all, yet another question for you.
ive trie dto da numerous of searches on here for this but cant find any answers!
do nails breath????
i was talking to someone about my nails and that i have nail varnish on, especially the cut finger one, and she said that you must take off nail varnish every night before you go to bed, to give your nails time to breath.
now im confused :irked:
ive always thought that nails dont breath,
can anyone please put me straight!
thanks xx

Nearly choked on my cuppa then,lol.No they dont breath.xx:green:

No darling they don't! Contrary to what you may of heard!

Put her straight! Your nail plate is made up of mainly keratin which is dead.

HTH Teri x:hug:

That's a really easy question.

Ask the same friend that told you to take off your polish nightly, if HER nails drown and drop dead when she washes dishes or other similar activity where hands are immersed in water.:wink2: And if she sees the nail plate move up and down when every beath inhaled and exhaled by the 'lungs' of her nails.:green: Ask her how she resuscitates them?

Yeah, I'm a smarty pants and sarcastic.

BUT that's my defense against people who ask that question (meaning clients or those who think enhancements prevent their nails from breathing).

Nearly choked on my cuppa then,lol.No they dont breath.xx:green:
sorry didnt want to make you choke, :lol:
shes dead animent (is that the word) that they BREATH!!!!!!

Ask her how? and with what?

Teri x:hug:

so theres no chance that polish can "harm" the nail
dont know why on earth im asking this question!!! im a bl***y nail tech (well training)
its just shes got me well miffed! she says we only say it couse of what we do!!!:mad:

No probs,just funny that's all.xx

Nails need a rest from enhancements every now and again.

Only in the case where sever thinning or damage has been caused to the nail plate, would there be a case for nails to have a ‘resting period? The key is to not cause any damage in the first place, and nails will never need a ‘rest’. Keratin (the main component of the nail plate) is non-living material. This non-living material will happily support the wearing of nail enhancements for as long as it is kept in tact and treated with care.

This is written in the article I quoted for you.

Nails need a rest from enhancements every now and again.

Only in the case where sever thinning or damage has been caused to the nail plate, would there be a case for nails to have a ‘resting period? The key is to not cause any damage in the first place, and nails will never need a ‘rest’. Keratin (the main component of the nail plate) is non-living material. This non-living material will happily support the wearing of nail enhancements for as long as it is kept in tact and treated with care.

This is written in the article I quoted for you.
i did read it, thanks judy x

sorry teri, dont get what you mean!!?

Being :rolleyes: . How do they breathe and with what do they breathe?

Just underlining what Victoria said really.

Maybe you should get some info for her and tell her you have been looking into the nail breathing theory and give her your facts!

Just a thought! Teri x:hug:

I think you mean 'adamant' as in "1.utterly unyielding in attitude or opinion in spite of all appeals, urgings, etc.":hug:

And Ditto what Judy says :green:

If nails aren't damaged, they won't need a 'rest'. If you're a good tech, there's no reason for a soak off at any time. A rest is only required for damaged nails that need to grow out the damage.

:hug:

I think you mean 'adamant' as in "1.utterly unyielding in attitude or opinion in spite of all appeals, urgings, etc.":hug:

And Ditto what Judy says :green:

If nails aren't damaged, they won't need a 'rest'. If you're a good tech, there's no reason for a soak off at any time. A rest is only required for damaged nails that need to grow out the damage.

:hug:
yeah thats the one victoria, need you as my spellchecker! :lol:

That's a really easy question.

And if she sees the nail plate move up and down when every beath inhaled and exhaled by the 'lungs' of her nails.:green: Ask her how she resuscitates them?

You know - I have to imagine that very thought when anybody asks that very question! PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Say for example skin, skin is also on the outside of the body, it doesn't have 'skin' lungs that you can see and it doesn't breathe, in the sense that it takes a breath like the lungs do when we inhale and exhale, but if you cut your skin it bleeds.

Nails don't bleed when you cut them so how can they be living and need to breathe to stay healthy?!

Likewise, hair, made of dead keratin the same as nails.....does our hair need to breathe, if so how on earth does it cope with all that tint and perms and other chemical treatments we use...and has already been said .....if nails and hair need to breathe why don't they drown when we're in the bath or washing our hair?

I think when people say that things breathe they just mean that they need air to get to them. For example when you open a bottle of red wine you should "let it breathe" for a while. It's just one of those quirks of the English language.

However nails do not need to breathe in this sense. The only problem you may get with regular wear of a polish is staining to the nail and nothing more. I don't understand why she thinks wearing polish overnight would be detrimental to the health of your nail? Mine always do better as I tend not to pick at them when I wear polish!

No nails dont breath, they dont have nose`s .
Sorry just my sence of humour :hug:

hi all, yet another question for you.
ive trie dto da numerous of searches on here for this but cant find any answers!
do nails breath????
i was talking to someone about my nails and that i have nail varnish on, especially the cut finger one, and she said that you must take off nail varnish every night before you go to bed, to give your nails time to breath.
now im confused :irked:
ive always thought that nails dont breath,
can anyone please put me straight!
thanks xx

I've just realised that it's you that has the sore finger. Perhaps your friend means not to wear varnish on that finger and just oil it due to the fact that it looks like it's still healing.
Although nails don't have lungs and don't breathe I can understand her advising you to be careful with that particular finger and massage oil into it.

Latest posts

Back