do weasles have to die to make sable brushes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodabubble

Reaction score
well the answer to that is...I have no idea?

you're thoughts and opinions?

Sables are...erm... Sables, I'm pretty sure that they are a different animal. Weasels are more ferret looking.
Sable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
see link

I've no idea if they have to die, I'd guess more like they could have their anus hairs plucked :eek:(that's were the sable hairs are from btw!)

Last edited:
soz bev, I had it in my head that kolinksy sable brushes come from weasels? doh! something I heard in art class a few years ago.

I'm quite happy with my synth brushes, but really I have little knowledge about sable hairs, up until now I had assumed that this was a by product of the fur industry, just wondered what other geeks thought about this :)

this was copied from the link that Bev gave:

I reckon Bev has been plucking too many weasel bums! :green:

Well, I stand corrected Theresa, well done for finding that out.
You learn something every day.

It's a sad job:D

I'd guess more like they could have their anus hairs plucked :eek:(that's were the sable hairs are from btw!)
I am disturbed by that comment!
Ray says that they kill it cos they use the skin for lots of different products and a Sable is the animal. Cheap brushes can be made from weasel fur!

lol!

Still leaves me wondering about the welfare of the weasels. I don't think I'll be buying any, anytime soon! I'll stick with the synth :)

I heard they were bred for the hair but it was used AFTER they were dead by natural causes....
Kolinsky is an animal found in cold regions of Russia and China. It is a species of mink and a member of the weasel family.
Why are these pelts so superior?
As most people know, most sables (a.k.a. mink) are raised on mink farms. These animals are very different from their feral cousins. The domestic animals are raised in small cages, get little exercise, are not subjected to temperature extremes, and are given a regimented diet. The pelts of these animals are soft and smooth, ideal for making fur clothing. The wild Russian Kolinsky Sables, found primarily in Siberia, live in a very demanding and harsh climate. Since the animals must adapt to this unforgiving environment, the hair on their pelts and tails is considerably stiffer and stronger than farm-raised mink.
The sale of furs was one way the Soviet government raised foreign currency. Fur buyers from all over the world patronized these auctions because they knew the superior quality of Russian furs.

Last edited:
dunno, does a carrot or a lettuce die to make my salad ? it's a hard world, only today i killed a few mung beans for lunch.

dunno, does a carrot or a lettuce die to make my salad ? it's a hard world, only today i killed a few mung beans for lunch.

lol.... i think your safe there! i have never really thought about where my brush comes from.... but what alternatives are there?

Murderer:D

you never fail to make me spit my cup of tea all over the keyboard.....you owe me big time lol...

I may be completely wrong but I'm sure I was told on my Creative course that the animals are brushed and that is how they get the hair.

I rememeber that because I never actually knew where sable came from and how it was taken from the animal.

Maybe someone from CND will be able to confirm whether this is true or not??

xx

I may be completely wrong but I'm sure I was told on my Creative course that the animals are brushed and that is how they get the hair.

I rememeber that because I never actually knew where sable came from and how it was taken from the animal.

Maybe someone from CND will be able to confirm whether this is true or not??

xx

The thread i linked above includes another link in which Geeg explains how the hair for CND brushes are obtained hth's

The thread i linked above includes another link in which Geeg explains how the hair for CND brushes are obtained hth's

Just read it, thanks for that hun! :D

Didn't spot the link when I first read the thread :smack:

xx

Ah no worries,it's a very interesting read IMO,i remebered it from a while back,it sure caused a stirr :!:

yeah, but, they dont have eyes,hearts etc..except the lettuce LOL. I try to think about my brush as the minks (weasels??) are gently cuddled while having thier butts plucked, then gently released to return to the wild? Dont know? So shoot me for not being that animal friendly
icon_redface.gif
I am not a vegetarian, and wear leather etc so would feel right hypocritical if i did.

Hi, Just while we are on the topic of hair for brushes did you know that the artists in china produce some of the best art and fine writing by using a brush which contains a baby's first hair ,
this baby hair comes from the very first hair cutting ,

The reason it is sought after is ,
all the hair you were born with has never been cut,
therefore each baby hair comes to a very fine natural point ideal for intricate art work .

Perhaps we should think more about that precious first baby's hair cut ,
Maybe there is somewhere that can make up a beautiful art brush of baby's first hair to keep .

Anyway Sodabubble sorry for hijacking your thread ,
It certainly makes you think about the little animals ,
and how we get fur for our brushes.

I cannot get the mental image out of my mind of someone plucking hairs from a weasels hiny :eek: lol x

This is a good from Geeg too
I think I said ... that no animals are killed when making Creative brushes and that is the case.

The brushes are made by one of the oldest brush makers in the USA and are all 'hand-tied' brushes and not mass produced like some makes of art brushes. I cannot speak for the makers of art brushes ... I CAN speak for the Creative Brushes. End of story.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back