Do you accept card payments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise xx

Reaction score
Im a mobile and home based hairdresser and I've been able to take card payments using a mobile terminal for 6 months now and wanted to share my experience:)
I decided that taking the card payments was the next step for me after returning to work from maternity and trying to focus my work load to the home based salon. But I only work 3 days a week so it needed to be cost efficient.
I met with lots of reps from lots of different companies and they all really give you the hard sell and try to make you sign on the spot. I refused and spent my time looking over and comparing all the contracts and prices.
I eventually decided on the company I would go with and 6 months later the experience has been a delight:)
My business now feels professional, my clients spend more (and honestly they do, they have a few foils or hubby has a quick trim too) I started stocking up on retail products and they fly off the shelf. I can also take deposits over the phone, which saves my time and was fab over the christmas period:) Also having the "visa" etc sign on my website looks really nice.
I am happy give you any more info or advice if you think you would like to offer card payments. I use the mobile terminal but you can get landline terminal or internet payments etc.

Kindest Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I read your post! What sort of figures do you pay? Do you pass the charge onto your clients?

It's approx 30p per transaction and no I don't officially charge the client but when I revised my price list this was taken into account. It really does help though on spontaneous buying of retail and pays for itself by far xx

hi, can i ask what company is it? how does it work with your mobile terminal? do you charge it up before going out to mobile chlients? how much do you pay per transaction?

feel free to pm me the details if u want?

xxx

Best thing I ever did, I totally agree. I'm a mobile hairdresser. I've had my machine for almost 2 and half years. I actually refuse cheques now as I'm not paying a monthly charge plus banking. My charges are about £32 per month rental plus between £6-£9 for transaction. I don't pass this on and I'm disgusted when I receive invoices that want to charge 3% for credit cards. The retailer is only charged 1.5%. There is one card you have to watch and that's the Tesco Finest Euro MasterCard that's about 2.5%. My mobile terminal is on a roaming SIM card therefore not locked to one mobile provider, a must if your mobile. I just charge mine about once per week.

Best thing I ever did, I totally agree. I'm a mobile hairdresser. I've had my machine for almost 2 and half years. I actually refuse cheques now as I'm not paying a monthly charge plus banking. My charges are about £32 per month rental plus between £6-£9 for transaction. I don't pass this on and I'm disgusted when I receive invoices that want to charge 3% for credit cards. The retailer is only charged 1.5%. There is one card you have to watch and that's the Tesco Finest Euro MasterCard that's about 2.5%. My mobile terminal is on a roaming SIM card therefore not locked to one mobile provider, a must if your mobile. I just charge mine about once per week.

But surely there is a minimum cost to you?
The independent convenience shop by me has a 50p charge for purchases under £5, which IMO is
Very fair as I wouldn't want to pay for the few who buy small things like a packet of gum.
Funnily enough, when I was working in a rather expensive shop where the average customer spent around £100 per transaction, i was asked quite a lot if there was a minimum charge, not sure why with costs like that, but even if there was, the cheapest thing we sold was £7 xoxo

I don't apply any extra costs to my clients. And minimum charge would apply yes in a little shop etc but hairdressing my minimum price is child or gent so £8 and very rarely is this done alone, it's normally with a ladies cut so I've never had to worry. I charge my mobile terminal once a week and it works on signal like mobile phone. It is then paid straight into my bank account within 3 days so I don't need to pay stupid bank charges and effort going to the bank all the time! Xx

Chick did I read right £6-£9 transaction fee?? I pay a flat rate of 30p per transaction regardless of how much the transaction was for xx

Chick did I read right £6-£9 transaction fee?? I pay a flat rate of 30p per transaction regardless of how much the transaction was for xx
I think she's saying £6-9 a month - not per transaction!

This is helpful as I'm looking fora card machine but just trying to find the best deal! Can you tell me....
How much did you have to pay upfront?
Is there a min spend?
How much a month rental fee?
How longs the contract?

Sorry hun that's an average per month lol!! I pay 26.5p debit cards 1.5% credit cards except the horrid Tesco Finest Euro MasterCard which is lots more, thankfully only get 1-2 per month. I'm with Cardsave not sure if I'm getting the best deal anymore but I'm not sure if any other provider used multi sim machines.

This is helpful as I'm looking fora card machine but just trying to find the best deal! Can you tell me....
How much did you have to pay upfront?
Is there a min spend?
How much a month rental fee?
How longs the contract?

I didnt pay anything upfront.

But surely there is a minimum cost to you?
The independent convenience shop by me has a 50p charge for purchases under £5, which IMO is
Very fair as I wouldn't want to pay for the few who buy small things like a packet of gum.
Funnily enough, when I was working in a rather expensive shop where the average customer spent around £100 per transaction, i was asked quite a lot if there was a minimum charge, not sure why with costs like that, but even if there was, the cheapest thing we sold was £7 xoxo

I wouldn't except payments for under £10, but if there was no choice I'd insist on a credit card not debit as that works out cheaper.

I have a world pay mobile chip and pin terminal. I love it as there is no monthly fee. Just pay per transaction! So it is really good for people who don't take loads of card payments and don't want to spend the earth every month. It works via your mobile signal but you have a separate chip and pin machine! X

Can you please private mail me with the company you use please? Xx

Mines with Barclays, I did just call them and complain as they suddenly started charging minimum transaction cost of 20 which I was not aware of, on average my charges are around 10 for transactions so they have reduced the minimum transaction charges to 10 and refunded the 3 months I was not advised of, so fair customer service :)

I pay 15 per month for the terminal
15p per debit card
About 1.3% credit cards
2.4% ish Amex, buuuut they are like apple and that's their set fee with everyone.
No upfront charges,

HSBC wanted:
200 start up
30 per month
25p per debit card
1.8% ish credit cards
Amex same
Minimum 20 transaction fee

There are others out there better than Barclays but I didn't have time to shop for more, they saved me half compared to HSBC.

Hope this helps someone

I have a world pay mobile chip and pin terminal. I love it as there is no monthly fee. Just pay per transaction! So it is really good for people who don't take loads of card payments and don't want to spend the earth every month. It works via your mobile signal but you have a separate chip and pin machine! X

How much do you pay for tranactions? I'm interested now! :)

im interested in a terminal if i dont have a monthly fee!! does anyone know who doesnt charge it??x

Latest posts

Back