Do you agree with this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree, make the effort. You are your own and best advertising and you have the freedom to do whatever you like to show your nails off. I also agree to keep it simple if thats your thing and a fancy pony tail thingy is always good. Always try to make a good impression. Also once your showered and made up, smelling sweet doesnt it make you feel better about yourself too? I am not saying you have to be cat walk glam just clean, tidy and well pressented.

Rather than taking offence .... why not think outside the box?

Put some slap on, wear some nails and show that you have faith in all services you offer.

I personally think it's a bit hypocritical to offer a service, when in fact you don't demonstrate your faith in it.

I have an excuse..... I'm a man, but if I was a woman, I would have impeccable natural nails, or stunning acrylics, I would wear a full face of discrete make-up, merely as an example of what I can do for the client, showing them what a little bit of effort can achieve.

It depends on how "lazy" you want to look.

Aren't our services all about teaching others to be less "lazy" to achieve a great look and improve upon what we already have?

I think you should have a go at it any way! I think you would make a right sexy woman ;) lol

I think it's important to look well groomed. I often have my hair in a simple pony or clip, but it's always clean and my roots are pretty non existent. Lol At our spa we only offer natural nail care, so well groomed natural nails are just fine. If we offered gels I would want my own gels done as most people here have no idea what gels are. lol Further more, sometimes extentions are an impulse decision. They might not even be thinking of getting them done but after seeing yours decide, "MUST. HAVE. NOW!" lol I think it's all relative.Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
That article sounds a bit extreme!

One of the first things I learnt at college was about appearance (not that I needed to be taught it if you know what I mean!) and how important it is as this is the first thing a client or potential client will form an opinion on!

Personally, as I do quite a lot of facials and waxing and cant manage these with extentions on (others might, I really cant) I make sure my nails are manincured, usually with french polish on them. My hair is either in a ponytail with my fringe clipped back or in a french plait as I cant stand working with my hair in my face and it would be very unhygenic to do so anyway. I always wear make up but its natural looking not slapped on, I look after my skin and my uniform is clean on every morning and pressed. I think these things are more important.

If my main business was nails though I would wear them myself as I think its the best form of advertising.

Most importantly, I think you need to feel comfortable with how you look. If, in my head, I thought I looked a mess or thought my hair needed a wash , or my skin was terrible etc etc. I wouldnt have the confidence to perform treatments on other people.

Its difficult because when I wore colour on nails - the vast majority of clients would be straight to the point and say 'oh er I don't like THAT colour' or 'I don't like them square nails' - so you can't win.

But these days - I haven't got the time to pamper myself with baby in toe - but I do agree its a missed opportunity to showcase your talents.

I think the article is stating that when you see someone who hasn't made an effort and they say they are a mua, beauty therapist, hairdresser nail tech - you kind of raise an eyebrow in disbelief.

BUT I am the ponytail brigade - make-up on - nails natural and it hasn't effected me getting clients.

I would have to agree to a point.
I always like to look like i could "step into David Jones" and look like part of their counter girls.
I ALWAYS have a set of nails on... even if it is just white tips. I usually do a set of stilleto's if i know i am going some where special... people talk... I have never had a set on when someone doesnt ask me where i got them done.... hair and make up done, i turn to them... introduce myself and hand her a card... first impressions count, u dont get another one...
take care of your self... get up in the morning and do your hair and make up.... soon it will feel natural and normal... I believe a woman should look like one.
just my opinion
xxx

I would have to agree to a point.
I always like to look like i could "step into David Jones" and look like part of their counter girls.
I ALWAYS have a set of nails on... even if it is just white tips. I usually do a set of stilleto's if i know i am going some where special... people talk... I have never had a set on when someone doesnt ask me where i got them done.... hair and make up done, i turn to them... introduce myself and hand her a card... first impressions count, u dont get another one...
take care of your self... get up in the morning and do your hair and make up.... soon it will feel natural and normal... I believe a woman should look like one.
just my opinion
xxx

So ture, not just in the shop but every where! As I sit here in My Ghost busters Jammies with my betty boop sweat shirt on, hair a mess, black smuge under my eyes and getting ready to jump in my car and run the kids to school! BUt I do have to say this is one time of day i NEVER care nor to I talk/look at anyone!

I oftern get called a princess...... and when i bought a caravan... everyone i knew said :"OMG how will princess survive"... I am a girly girl when i need to be, work, shopping etc... but I also know there is a time and place for "natural Mel"... I still how ever do my nails before i go camping.... I travelled 9 hours last week.. went into a shoe shop and the girls were so shocked to see 3d embedded silleto's and gel glitter toes... they asked me who did them..., i told them me... and they asked for a card.... I told them i was 9 hours away... to my suprise they still took it and said when they are on holidays down my way they were coming to get at least gel toes .. so u just never know where your next client will come from xx

I've recently discovered gel polish and I'm so addicted! Being a nail tech I found it incredibly hard to keep my own nails looking good with all the nail polish remover I work with and inevitably filing my own nails when finishing acrylics. Gel polish looks like i always have a gorgeous set of freshly applied polish, little would anyone know the torture I put my nails through every day!

It's true ..... people DO judge a book by its cover .. so make sure that your cover is a good reflection of what is written inside.

When I was working or when I am working my nails and appearance are always as they should be ......... when I'm not I can be lazy like anyone else .. lazy but not slovenly. When I work I am in front of an audience whether it be an individual client or a full blown crowd I am on stage ... I do myself up for the part.

I actually feel better when I have spent that extra bit of time on my make up.This shines through I think and I have definately noticed that clients do study my make up when booking in for weddings make ups etc.It gives them confidence in my ability for example if we were an artist displaying some of our portraits and we displayed several that were not so good,and done when we hadn't felt our best,how would this come across to the customer,would they want to buy the portraits merely because they had been told we were an artist?I think not,appearane is everything in this job.

When I haven't been very well and not had the energy to do my make up very well(ie just a quick bit of eyeliner and mascara and some concealer,I have been very aware of how I look and come across to my clients.I tend not to have the same confidence when talking to them about make up etc but when I am my normal self I feel perfectly equipped to take the bull by the horns and talk readily about all aspects of my job and give good advice.

I read the Scratch article and just smiled to myself really because some of it is true yes and some was not applicable,ie I cant really wear nail polish in my job due to my treatments and the fact that when doing mani's and pedi's I usually end up taking half of my own polish off when using polish remover.However I do keep my nails clean,short and cuticles tidy as we are most definately an advert for our job.

As for the hair in the ponytail thing I did think that was far fetched really as long as it's clean and tied back nicely that's all that matters.I think we should just read it like we do our horoscopes and pick out the bits we feel may apply to us and the rest let it go with a pinch of salt.:hug:

mmm i see mixed emotion on here !! ok so personally i wouldn't go to a beauty therapist who looked like she needed one herself !! Afterall what if a client comes in for a make-up session ??? what would she prefer to see a well turned out professional or Marg from down the road just popped in from doing the washing up ??

Come on girls our jobs are all about BEAUTY if you can't rise to it your doing the wrong job !!!

Latest posts

Back