Do you charge a fee if the client has a reaction to the product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimaxwill

Reaction score
Hi I went to a clients house last night to do eyelash extensions, when she booked in, I offered to do a patch test but she said no she would be fine. I got one lash on her and she said her eye was itchy and stinging, and she pointed to exactly where the eyelash was, I cheched her skin around the eyelash and there was no adhesive on her skin, I removed the lash and flushed her eyeout with sterile eyewash. Her eye was thankfully fine.

So my question is, if you have a client that has a reaction to a product, (that you offered to do a patch test for), do you still charge a fee? As I'm mobile I had petrol expenses and my time etc.

Thanks
Annie

I would ALWAYS do a patch test i would insist and refuse to do a treatment without one. Just to cover myself and to make sure that the client doesnt have a reaction. Maybe you are best to say from now on that it is essential that they have a patch test to avoid a situation like this again. This is what i would do but everyone is different. I am not sure if i would or wouldnt charge in this situation as a treatment was not performed but you have your travel costs. Sorry that was not much help. x

I would never perform a service that requires a patch test if the client refuses.
They have to understand that this is for their safety just as much as for your insurance.

I have had and lost a few clients because they refused to let me provide a patch test these clients are more hassle than they are worth :hug:

a good tip is when they phone you to book a treatment( or call into your home/salon) is to ask for a small deposit, go to there house 24 hours before maybie leaving behind clear pre/post treatment instructions and gives you the chance to do your patch test, they usualy wont mind paying a small (none refundabe) deposit because you are showing a high level of proffesionalism and clients understand overheads too... i often use this method when a client books a spraytan party...xx

Thank you I totally agree with all of the above about the patch test, my error, so obviously didn't charge client, lesson learnt :o Just wondered if anyone had someone have a reaction to anything when mobile what do you do regarding charges, say a call out charge?

Thank you I totally agree with all of the above about the patch test, my error, so obviously didn't charge client, lesson learnt :o Just wondered if anyone had someone have a reaction to anything when mobile what do you do regarding charges, say a call out charge?

I personally think that I would be tempted to just accept that you win some you lose some.You wouldn't be doing yourself any favours charging the person for having an allergic reaction.Be it salon or mobile.

What I would do is suggest another treatment(one that didn't require a patch test)ie manicure or pedicure.

In all my time as a therapist I can hand on heart say that I only have had one client have a slight allergic reaction,so when all's said and done it wont/shouldn't happen very often so in theory you really wouldn't be losing out on much.

If you start charging for something that is quite clearly not the clients fault,you will end up losing your good reputation and possibly any future treatments with this same client.HTH

I agree with the others. Yes you should have patch tested but hey ho I think you now know that lol In future if you do patch test then you are likely to establish a reaction to a product before wasting all of your time, products and petrol. But if a client were to have a reaction to a product then I personally couldnt charge them. I don't think it would be fair as it wouldnt be their fault xxx

Thanks Babs & Kylie (and yes lesson well learnt:biggrin:), I couldn't charge the girl last as it didn't seem right, she did ask if I had anything else with me, I didn't even have oil for massage!!! So Babs great advice about offering something else as she was gutted not getting her lashes, I will infuture keep oil in my kit bag (which I normally have, ever since I forgot it for a massage when doing my case studies :o, must have a had a clear out) and my manicure kit.

Thanks alot guys I appriciate the advice.

Annie

Thanks Babs & Kylie (and yes lesson well learnt:biggrin:), I couldn't charge the girl last as it didn't seem right, she did ask if I had anything else with me, I didn't even have oil for massage!!! So Babs great advice about offering something else as she was gutted not getting her lashes, I will infuture keep oil in my kit bag (which I normally have, ever since I forgot it for a massage when doing my case studies :o, must have a had a clear out) and my manicure kit.

Thanks alot guys I appriciate the advice.

Annie

You're welcome Annie,when I was mobile I used to take everything because you may get a client decide they want to either change their mind or want something else on top of the booked in appointment.

I know you might not always have the time to add on another treatment,if you have someone else booked in right after but it's a shame to miss out on an opportunity should it arise.xx

Latest posts

Back