Do you charge chair rental if salon has had to close?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchardmakeup

Reaction score
I have another therapist who pays me rent each month to use the salon, as much as she likes. We used to do commission, but she wanted to know how much she was paying out each month. Now we have had to close I have said she can pay the rent once we are back to work at 80% and spread it over the rest of the months. Is this fair? She doesn't seem to think so and thinks she has to pay nothing. Whats your thoughts?

If she can't work and as it's a forced closure, she doesn't have to pay.

I rent a chair and my salon has said I dont have to pay while it is shut

None of our salons are charging rent to their renters for April and are going to review it month by month.

Would you pay rent on a house that you weren’t allowed to live in?

Unfair to charge rent. The sports centre I rent from for a room, isn’t charging me rent whilst it’s closed.

It all depends as every situation is different. If it’s a big company that you rent off then they can probably afford for you not to pay. If it’s a small salon that you rent off that’s not getting their own income due to having to close, they may still have to pay their rent/ commercial mortgage if they own the building ( which commercial mortgages can’t get mortgage break like personal mortgages) then they might have no choice but to take the rent off you still. You could argue that the rent could be reduced as you won’t be using any electric etc so they will be saving there. Unfortunately it’s probably their choice at the end of the day . Hope you get it sorted tho as must be a worry for you xx

It depends on what your agreement with her is. I don't have anyone renting a chair just now, but in the past, have always emphasised it's like renting a flat....if you take time off or go on hols, that's completely up to you, but you pay rent regardless. I know some owners give so many hols per year, etc. I have tried various ways, but find this means we all know where we stand. If I did have someone now, I would say what you have offered is fair. I still need to pay my rent, and altho utilities are slightly reduced, I still pay internet, phone, elec, bins, etc that cannot be cancelled or completely switched off. In addition, I still need to contribute to furlowed staff hols, etc, that my rent a chairs use in the form if juniors, reception, etc, so altho they are not able to use the salon, it is not u that has made that desicion. She is losing money, but so are you. Even if we get these grants, they will not cover what we lose. If YOU chose to close the salon, say to go on holiday, without it being in your contract, then I would say no rent, but that's not the case. Your hands are tied. If she wants the chair to be avail for her return, then she needs to pay.

It depends on what your agreement with her is. I don't have anyone renting a chair just now, but in the past, have always emphasised it's like renting a flat....if you take time off or go on hols, that's completely up to you, but you pay rent regardless. I know some owners give so many hols per year, etc. I have tried various ways, but find this means we all know where we stand. If I did have someone now, I would say what you have offered is fair. I still need to pay my rent, and altho utilities are slightly reduced, I still pay internet, phone, elec, bins, etc that cannot be cancelled or completely switched off. In addition, I still need to contribute to furlowed staff hols, etc, that my rent a chairs use in the form if juniors, reception, etc, so altho they are not able to use the salon, it is not u that has made that desicion. She is losing money, but so are you. Even if we get these grants, they will not cover what we lose. If YOU chose to close the salon, say to go on holiday, without it being in your contract, then I would say no rent, but that's not the case. Your hands are tied. If she wants the chair to be avail for her return, then she needs to pay.
If you say it's like renting a flat, you wouldn't pay to rent a flat you can't live in so in my opinion, this is no different. If you own/rent the commercial premises you have more government help available to you vs the person who rents the chair who is probably entitled to nothing.

Hi,

Sorry for jumping on this thread. I'm currently renting a chair and haven't heard anything from the salon owners whether I should be paying rent or not? My argument is that they can claim through business Wales for their business but I can't claim a penny on universal credit. Please don't get me wrong I'm happy to pay once all is lifted and I'm earning again.

I rent a chair in a salon, and pay rent monthly, based on a yearly written contract. My contract has a 3 month notice clause which I can invoke if I care to.
My salon owner, who has had no rebate or holiday on his rent payable has tied himself into knots over this issue.

Initially ( 2nd week of March) he was going to charge as normal. He then phoned at the end of the month to give me April and May half price.
He has 5 employed staff, rent, insurance and his own life to pay for as well as trying to find a way through this quagmire.

At the beginning, when I honestly thought alot of this was a storm in a teacup, I would have objected to paying anything for a salon I can't use, however I now think differently.
Being self employed is a financial risk that I have chosen to take. If I have a slow month, or take time off I'm still paying money and not reaping the rewards. But if I have a good month I'm benefiting.

I would prefer to pay, and work but I cant do that. He is of the same opinion.

I'd rather pay the money honouring my contract and have a salon to go back to than not pay, him go under and I'm then starting again.

Although there is theoretically more financial support for him as a business owner he has much higher overheads than me, has to jump through alot more hoops to access it.

Well my landlord is still charging me rent, were all in this boat together. I think it's fair to continue charging her rent unless you are given a rent break then I think that should be passed down. But saying that its damn hard for people at the minute, she may not be able to afford it, do you want that chair empty? It's a discussion to have with her.

If she can't work and as it's a forced closure, she doesn't have to pay.

This would mean that none of us would have to pay our rent wouldn't it?

Thank you all for your replies. Its a very strange time we are in, and none of us know what we are going back to.

This would mean that none of us would have to pay our rent wouldn't it?
Well technically with the grants available, you aren't.

No we are nit charging

Latest posts

Back