Do you consider yourself an artist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when this was first posted on hb, and I haven't been on there so much these days, and I have kept looking at this post thinking about your question. I find it particularly interesting considering the "I am a visual artist" campaign recently with hairdressers, not only in the UK.

I think we all use our visual senses in a creative way, more than we realize. If you check out Russell Mayes video with Nancy Ngouy: he has a great introduction to the video about how our eyes are always becoming more refined about how we look at our work, faster than our technical skill, causing us periods of being unsatisfied with the quality of our work, and I greatly agree.

When you look at a client and have a vision in your head of how you want their hair to look, before you have actually touched their hair you are using your creativity. I wouldn't refer to myself as a "hair artist", but when I am working I feel like I am artistic. If I am doing a very classic foil it can feel more robotic than artistic, but nowadays we can combine so many techniques that allow us to use our minds more, and why I love balayage so much is I feel like I can paint exactly where I want the colour to show in my mind.

I don't agree with the thinking outside the box idea so much, although I love seeing avant garde work, I don't think it means that editorial or commercial work isn't artistic. There are many styles and movements in art, and the most well known are those that broke the artistic boundaries of the time or changed direction art . But I wouldn't say someone painting a still life isn't an artist because he isn't breaking boundaries. Some people are classically trained in art, like we are in our technique. But for me the key is using not your tools, but your eyes and your vision.

So insightful! Artist by profession vs. artistic by vision. What a great way to discuss both matters with out the degradation of either! I do agree with the video intro, in that peoples eyes refine faster than their technique. I do think it's a major contributor to why people can be so quick to judge or point out flaws in their own and other peoples works, without the necessary suggestions of making it better. It makes things come off as "you try and make it better, if you think you're so good!". When that may not be the case. It's usually the simple fact that it's our minds can point out what is not complimentary, or balanced, or cohesive, yet we may not know why or how to make it better. We just know that it's not quite right. I think being an artist is growing to the point to where you have figured out how to make things better. Or at least that you're able to discuss and execute possibilities!

I agree that there are lots of fantastic artists out there that use Hair as their medium, but I'm not one of them.

I'm just an amateur dabbler. :)

Ahh AcidPerm, there's nothing in my experience that is as closely linked as humility and greatness, excluding perhaps mediocrity and hubris.

I would like to attach this quote as Russell is my mentor and one of my good friends and I shared it with him when he used to run his own Hair forum. He is more or less quoting Ira Glass on "the gap"

Also I work in the chair next to Nancy everyday and she's an incredible colorist. I would for sure call her an artist as she is fearless and breaks all the rules on a daily basis. I don't know how to explain it, She sees things differently and it turns out beautiful.

I think we all use our visual senses in a creative way, more than we realize. If you check out Russell Mayes video with Nancy Ngouy: he has a great introduction to the video about how our eyes are always becoming more refined about how we look at our work, faster than our technical skill, causing us periods of being unsatisfied with the quality of our work, and I greatly agree.

ok so i have read this very long thread so far, im still awake! :D i think of myself as a aesthetical artist, im very influenced by perfect lines angles by my creative eye. I apply it to everyday life just not beauty or hair.

The whole sales lingo of being artistic is very male orientated. If you look at some of the great artistic directors, they are male. You only have to go to a salon international or a exhibiting platform where it is very male orientated. some of the best know artists, i can name loads but one fabulous vidal sasson was the leading forefront of a collective notion that it was fashion forward. (im not having gender wars:cool:) However if a betsy had envisioned a new look colour/cut avante garde finish everyday we would know her name would the client have loved it liked it recommend it, quite possibly yes.

atm everyone knows a exceptional sassy guy online, while i lurve what he does is it different to what many of us have done artistically? styling? Colouring? its an artform that many of us creatively have experimented with, tapped on lightly and gone with it.

I find in the uk alone there is a withdrawal of artistic freedom, salons have become more time concentrated and it is a challenge to create a beautiful piece of work in short time scales, there is also the problem of regulated decent fashion colours. there are some great works done in short time scales, but if you were to apply yourself at least half a day per client without the profit margins, thinking outside the box, you can look at inspiration from anything. you'll find what you were like when you were fresh from college- might get your passion lightened! Artistically i think the uk is still very conservative and not everyone wants to blend into the background, you only get subtle changes be that odd flash of colour which is deemed suitable for the workplace! Its all about the freedom and creativity control of the client, and what you're able to get away with. (thanks for still reading ;)) xoxo

ok so i have read this very long thread so far, im still awake! :D i think of myself as a aesthetical artist, im very influenced by perfect lines angles by my creative eye. I apply it to everyday life just not beauty or hair.

The whole sales lingo of being artistic is very male orientated. If you look at some of the great artistic directors, they are male. You only have to go to a salon international or a exhibiting platform where it is very male orientated. some of the best know artists, i can name loads but one fabulous vidal sasson was the leading forefront of a collective notion that it was fashion forward. (im not having gender wars:cool:) However if a betsy had envisioned a new look colour/cut avante garde finish everyday we would know her name would the client have loved it liked it recommend it, quite possibly yes.

atm everyone knows a exceptional sassy guy online, while i lurve what he does is it different to what many of us have done artistically? styling? Colouring? its an artform that many of us creatively have experimented with, tapped on lightly and gone with it.

I find in the uk alone there is a withdrawal of artistic freedom, salons have become more time concentrated and it is a challenge to create a beautiful piece of work in short time scales, there is also the problem of regulated decent fashion colours. there are some great works done in short time scales, but if you were to apply yourself at least half a day per client without the profit margins, thinking outside the box, you can look at inspiration from anything. you'll find what you were like when you were fresh from college- might get your passion lightened! Artistically i think the uk is still very conservative and not everyone wants to blend into the background, you only get subtle changes be that odd flash of colour which is deemed suitable for the workplace! Its all about the freedom and creativity control of the client, and what you're able to get away with. (thanks for still reading ;)) xoxo
You make some excellent points. It's true that in an industry that must be approximately 80% female and 20% male, if you look at the ones that have made a name for themselves and work the stage then it's probably 80%male vs 20% female. The numbers don't add up.
I agree also that the industry has become more about timing, but that goes back to my earlier post where I said there is a general lack of respect for the hairdresser, and anyone in the UK, who is not a graduate. We are working with such tight profit margins that salons are just about making through, and in many parts of the country most people struggle to get off minimum wage, and comission targets can be almost impossible to achieve. I can see the industry going the same way it has in America where approximately 50% of stylists are now self employed (it used to be just 10%), as soon as I can afford to set myself up with a space it's what I'm going to do, it feels like the only way im ever going to make enough to live comfortably. It's no wonder about 80% of those that qualify in hairdressing actually end up leaving the industry, it really is a labour of love. I even have a business degree so I could just go and get myself a great paying job, but I would never be as happy as I am behind the chair, and have no intention of giving it up. I'm going to work hard and keep investing in my education so I can charge more. I just wish the setup was a bit better for self employed people in the uk. In the US they have salon suites and booths, and some amazing rent a chair salons. All the rent a chair salons I've looked at over here are so.... Hideous! Lol.

Latest posts

Back