do you do another full time job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat1973

Reaction score
im just wondering do any of you do a full time job as well as being nail technicians.
I am a retail manager and am struggling to see where i can fit it all in.
any bright suggestions.
my answer is chuck in the retail job which i dont like and do nails full time which i love but unfortunatly money is a big issue.

im interested to know how you all cope.

No, nails is my thing. I have built the business up gradually over 4 years or so but yes it was hard at first. I was in the position, though, having had a few years off till my 2 toddlers were both school age, of not earning anything at all, so it was an improvement on that, even if business was slow to begin with lol!

Now I have a job to get anything else done except nails :lol: But I love it.

Does anyone have two seperate careers/businesses? - 17-11-07, 08:31
It didn't do a link, lol but that was the name of another thread that was on here. on the same subject.
But yes loads of us work in all sorts of wonderful jobs that have nothing to do with the beauty industry and the easy answer is
You give up your day of.
When your day(s) of are full then you start cutting back on the day job and finally you take the plunge and go full time.
Then you get a face lift to get rid of the bags under your eyes from all those months/years of working your days of:lol:
Me I am the supervisor for National Express London service from Milton Keynes average week with that, 45 hours. Nails? currently starting again but probebly another 15 to 20 hours a week to start with. Plus a training course every couple of months because I finally know what directions I wish to take.

I'm an accountant by day.

On 22nd December I'm giving this up as I hate it with a passion.

I am starting up a salon from home. For the past 2 months I have been trying to build up a client base. Not doing great, but I have 2500 flyers being delivered over the next few days so I'm hopeful that this will improve.

I love doing nails, and in my opinion, the only way I can put my heart and soul into it is by me giving up my full time job.

I can't afford to not be working (several debt obligations), so am going to put all I can into building up my client base.

Perhaps you could switch to part time hours?

xx

I'm an accountant by day.

On 22nd December I'm giving this up as I hate it with a passion.

I am starting up a salon from home. For the past 2 months I have been trying to build up a client base. Not doing great, but I have 2500 flyers being delivered over the next few days so I'm hopeful that this will improve.

I love doing nails, and in my opinion, the only way I can put my heart and soul into it is by me giving up my full time job.

I can't afford to not be working (several debt obligations), so am going to put all I can into building up my client base.

Perhaps you could switch to part time hours?

xx

Flyers are good, but also, do yourself a set of kick ass nails and everywhere you go show them to peeps who have nails that are not worthy of the name enhancement, if you catch my drift:lol: they will coo over yours and say they want you to do them and you should then get your diary out, book them in and give them your business card with their appointment on the back yes its cheeky but it works and when you have commitments you cant afford to be shy.

yes i have another job ....maybe more than 1 aswell as nails,here goes....i cook ,clean, answer machine for hubby tattoo business, iron,take kids to school and pick them up,if kids are having trouble at school i deal with that ow yes and THEN i do nails !!!!:green:xx

Flyers are good, but also, do yourself a set of kick ass nails and everywhere you go show them to peeps who have nails that are not worthy of the name enhancement, if you catch my drift:lol: they will coo over yours and say they want you to do them and you should then get your diary out, book them in and give them your business card with their appointment on the back yes its cheeky but it works and when you have commitments you cant afford to be shy.

My nails are always Kick-Ass!!! It's the best form of advertising.

My nails are always Kick-Ass!!! It's the best form of advertising.
And I always think its a wonderful confidence boost to:lol:
I might feel fat, it might be a bad hair day but my kick ass nails are there right in front of me, instant lift:lol:

:) I work in a bank from 6am till 2pm then after that I am a nail tech, I like both my jobs, but nails best.

I work as a PA 9-5 Monday to Friday and I also have my home salon and I work Wed, Thur, Friday evenings and Saturday mornings. Coming up to 4 years of doing this and it is hard, but I do love it really. I really don't do it for the money but I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I gave up and I really wouldn't want to give up.

The only thing that would change anything would be if I had family, I would then either give up my 9-5 or give up my home salon.:eek:

My fulltime job is running my family and home and i also fit in my beauty therapy and nail work.All i can say for those that work full time AND run a family you are bloody miracle workers and i truly dont know how you do it.

Money is a big issue for me too. I have an eight year old and I have 3 lads at uni!! I work full time in a college, 3 days a week I have students for job search skills, two days in students finance, a few hours NVQ assessing and my nail treatments evenings and weekends. Oh and I'm currently studying for my Anatomy and Physiology and Reflexology. I'm tired ! :zzz:

since i quit doing nails at a salon, i have been busier than ever!
i still do nails, from home, i do face painting for parties and for all of the holidays at a local mall. i teach One Stroke Painting, drawing, glass painting, glass etching and soon, calligraphy!
the event coordinator is funny! anything she can think of, she always says to me, "can you teach a class on this?", knowing i'll probably say "sure".
with the One Stroke Painting, i'm able to get nail technicians in to learn it for nail art.
i love the fact i can put my love of nails with my overwhelming love of art!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I'm, first and foremost, a full time mum and wife then I transform into the Sales Manager (yes the good old telesales lmao) for a magazine for the majority of the working week and a nail tech for the rest of the time.

I started off part time (mornings only) for the magazine, then my hours increased as more hours were needed, now I fit in my nail clients on some afternoons and evenings.
I got home at 9pm tonight from 'nailing' and was fortunate to find that my hubby and son had dinner under control, it certainly takes the pressure off when I don't have to come home and then start cooking and the other household chores... my children are teenagers and don't need me as much as they used to, it's lucky really because if they weren't this age I'd never be able to fit it all in!!!

how do I find the time? gawd knows, but I do lol

I work part-time in an office for 2 1/2 days a week the rest of the time I look after my 3 year old (I also have another son who is at school.). I qualified in manicure and pedicure a few months ago and have done a few nails to keep my hand in. Nails are what I would really like to do and my aim is to do as much training and gain as much experience as I can in the next couple of years so that when my youngest son starts school I can do the job I really want to do, nails.

That said I am feeling a little despondent at the moment as I had an advert in the local shop for a few weeks for manicures and pedicures, offering a discount during November but had no calls at all. I have had quite a few people (mainly friends and colleagues) who have asked if I can do their nails and then for whatever reason cancelled. As I have a part time job and young children I don't want to be overly busy with nails just a few regular clients to start with so that I can gain experience. Also my internet has been up and down for quite a while so I haven't been able to get onto this site which usually inspires me to continue with nails. Hopefully now I am back on line my enthusiasm will come back.

I work 9-5.30 in an accounts office but the amount of travelling I do keeps me out of the house from 8-6.30 :zzz:. I've asked to reduce my hours at work and they're 'considering' it but if they say no I don't know how I'm going to manage running the house, working full time and building up a mobile business. but I absolutely love nails, I've definitely found my niche, so I'll make it work somehow!

My husband & I own an ice cream cafe which we've had for 22 years. I took a nail course to 'pass the time' during the long winter months and got hooked. After doing part-time nails in my sisters' hairdressers salon, I took the plunge 2 years ago and turned a small corner-shop/kiosk (that we only opened in the summer months) into a salon. I'm the only beautician/nail tech on our island, and now do 3 or 4 days a week in my salon and the rest of the week in the cafe with hubby. He's very supportive and usually has my meal ready for me when I get back behind-the-counter of the cafe.
We're now trying to sell the cafe and I hope to earn a decent living from the salon alone. My husband hopes to become a 'kept' man ..... and, as I love my job, I'm not complaining ! :wink2:

I am a Civil Servant by day, nail tech by night! I started by working my but off doing 7am-3pm and the Pension Centre and then nails form 3-9pm Mon-Fri and nails all weekend till i had enough clients to drop a few hours at work, now i work 7-12 at the Pension Centre and 12-7ish doing nails. Its hard work but i have a mortgage to pay and need a guaranteed income....

Gonna bite the bullet in Jan and jack my day job in and do nails full time!:eek:

x

Latest posts

Back