Do you do hand painted nail art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail-chick

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people do hand painted nail art. All I use are acrylic paints and glitter polishes.

Where I live, we have a lot of NSS that only do airbrushed designed, you know, easy in, quick out, cheap and "icky".

I am able to do airbrushing, but I don't prefer it. My customers like the way that their nail designs don't look like everyone else that has left the salon.

www.mynailsrock.com

I do hand painted and I prefer it to airbrushing because it doesnt take me an age to clean the airbrush out afterwards!

I dont do airbrushing and have no interest in it.
I much prefer free-hand, whether it's painting or 3d or using stuff such as dried flowers and whatnot.

some airbrushing is rather pretty, and I've seen some awesome stuff. Some I'd like to have on my own hands (the really intricate ones)
But.... (ok, ducking for cover here) to me it's like coloring in a coloring book? Fill in the blanks? I like to say that "I" did it, does that make sense?
No disrespect meant to those that airbrush, I'm aware that it requires skills... it's just not my thing.

I only do hand painted nail art too.

I do have a bit of a problem with the paints i use tho - they are artist quality acrylics from the art shop. I find that i have to go over them a time or two sometimes as they tend to be a bit streaky & you can see through them. It's a bit annoying.

Any good acrylic paint suggestions would be helpful, thanks. xx

I was looking aorund at Excel at airbrushes with a view to investing in one that I could use with my tanning compressor, and had a couple of sample nails done. I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed and felt that I could acheive at least as good results by hand, and not have an airbrush to clean afterwards!

The design was OK, but the overspray around the hand took ages to clear....I would hate to send a client out like this, and I just felt i would be limited almost by not wanting to change colour all the time.

I've only tried art with coloured gels so far though...can anyone recommend any good water based nail art paints for freehand work...I'm allergic to Toluene and Formaldehyde. I know what brands I like to use therefore with nail polishes, but am completely uneducated in nail art paints!

Quick question - for nail art, can i uses just normail acrylic paints, do i need to water them down? im not sure i want to try nail art with acrylics but ive never done it.

i think i would be good at it as i am artistic...

hi i have been doing free hand nail art for a while now and find all my paints at hobbycraft. u need to use the waterbased acrylic paint. it comes in many colours and shades also metalic. have a go they are cheap too and ul get lots of use out of them

i get plain old acrylic craft paint. i've had most of my paints for about 7 years now. as long as you keep them well sealed and shake them up once in a while, there should be no problem.

the only colors i constantly buy are black, white and red.

i live for hand painted nail art, you can be more free with your ideas.

www.mynailsrock.com

I do all my art by hand. I use acrylic paints (from the cheap shops), glitters & whatever else I find. I always go through craft shops just to see what I might be able to do something with. When you do it by hand it seems more yours & you can go as wild as you want.

I love my airbrush! I use it in conjuction with hand painted nail art. Many times I will spray on a background and add a bit of texture then hand paint something on top. Many times I will do glitter/colour tips then airbrush flowers or something little. I am not keen on the airbrush designs that are abstract and too busy. I like pretty things! Will try and get some pics together in my gallery to show.

I have only just discovered acrylic paints before that I would use nails polish!! and I still do even on small details!

I do only haindpainted art. Floral designs are my favorites for nails.

I do hand painted nail art and love it, only been doing it for a little while now but its amazing the knack you can get just by practicing constantly. My butterflies looked like buttersplats to start with but are now becoming more and more gorgeous each time I try. I love doing flowers and funky made up designs. Also using nail stickers is great too as it can enhance your designs.
I really enjoy hand painting so doubt I will try airbrushing for now.
I get my paints from nail art sites and from hobby craft, brushes etc the same.
Have fun!
Lorraine

i love hand painted and airbrushed designs,the designs that come out of the nss salons are ususally just white and very simple, so with your own artistic flare you can always do a better job than those guys. shame is that clients do associate airbrushing with nss salons, and therefore refuse to have it on their nails.... which really is a shame......

as for nail art paints, i use K-Sa-Ra paints (in fact, i am one of their distributors), i mix them and create my customers, their own clours, they love anything that has been created especially for them, who wouldn't....it's a special touch, like custom blended manicures, or colour/glitter acrylic.

I do a combination of them i may ab the start of a design and end with hand painting

Hi yes I love doing handpainted nail art I dont do air brushing but then I love doing it all by hand.

xx

I love air brush art, especialy when it is finished with free hand art for that indevidual look. Want to start doing this my self this year, cant wait to get started, I've had some lovely stuff done to my nails by Rae, had complements from peeps all over the country when ever I've had something of hers. Me jelous? Yep:green:

I can do both but people seem to have the nail art these days, which I love doing.

I do both free hand and airbrush nail art. My favorite is to do a combination of both. I like to airbrush my colors and basic designs down then freehand the outlines and highlights. The absolute best paints for airbrushing is Createx. And the best paints to freehand with is your nail polish. They stay where you out them and move well if you need to drag through them like for flowers and stuff. ( by the way I'm new ... HI!!! )

I love to do hand painted designs,i must say i also have a love for airbrush i also mix the hand paint and airbrush sometimes to make each design unique.i like to use kiss nail art paints because there is a nail stripper in each bottle.:lol:

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Latest posts

Back