Do you do reduced rates for friends?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucybluebell

Reaction score
I'm just starting out having just qualified. Was thinking I should get a Facebook page and some business cards. Just wondered if you do a family and friends rate and if so how much do you reduce it by? Do you just reduce for very very close friends. I don't know how to approach this, and if mums at school ask for discount should I? I don't want to seem mean, but I am trying to make a successful business!!
I'd appreciate any advice :)

I'm just starting out having just qualified. Was thinking I should get a Facebook page and some business cards. Just wondered if you do a family and friends rate and if so how much do you reduce it by? Do you just reduce for very very close friends. I don't know how to approach this, and if mums at school ask for discount should I? I don't want to seem mean, but I am trying to make a successful business!!
I'd appreciate any advice :)

Hi

I do give discounts for close friends and family. I normally charge £22 for colour shellac and £25 for french and rockstars. I let my close friends and family have any of the same services and charge then £20 because I feel that this is the least amount I want to earn for all my hard work. They are happy with this. HTH. Ax

I offered my 'real' friends discount when starting up but they insist on paying the full price as they understand I'm running a business - not a charity. It's the 'aquaintances' who push their luck and ask for a discount... I just laugh sarcastically and give them the look that says 'no chance'.

They know I'm having to turn ladies away as my appt book is full so they know they're not doing me any favours by booking in...:D

I plan on doing a VIP price list for those family an friends who have supported me by letting me practice on them whilst I am training. But everyone else will be getting charged full price.

Edited to say: If my mum decided that she wanted treatments then I wouldn't charge her cause she is my mum and if I ever need anything it is her how helps me. And I can't really comment on other family members as they all live too far away that I don't have to think about whether I would give them discount them or not.

Last edited:
I give my close close friends and family a discount (still more than half price) but everyone else gets full price. Because once you've given them a discount once, they'll always want a discount! And itll be awkward when you want to increase your prices!
If they're good mates they won't mind paying you :)
xx

Close friends and family for free.. but only at times that suit me and generally the quieter times. My close friends have helped me out over the years ; dog minding, lifts to the airports, garden help etc etc... so its only fair to return the favours..
Jack

My mum , my mother in law and my best friend who I've known since childhood get their treatments free ( normally shellac or minx every few weeks ) . Everyone else pays full price x

I was faced with the same dilemma and after reading the threads on here which were so helpful, I decided to offer my close friends a first round of Shellac free, but explained that any subsequent treatments would be charged for. I offer a mates rate for really close friends, not half price but enough for them to feel happy! All of them, without exception or obligation want to pay. It's great practice and I don't feel like I'm giving anything away.

What I got from reading the threads here is how important it is to be clear from the outset. I have only been doing this for a few weeks, and although accepting money from my close friends feels completely unnatural, it's balanced out by the fact that this isn't a hobby, it's a business and I have paid lots of money to get trained as I'm sure you have!

Good luck x

My mum is the only one who gets her overlays for free,that's because she's my mum!

Other family and very very close friends (we're only talking a small handful here) get a good discount and that's because I want to! :cool:

I was faced with the same dilemma and after reading the threads on here which were so helpful, I decided to offer my close friends a first round of Shellac free, but explained that any subsequent treatments would be charged for. I offer a mates rate for really close friends, not half price but enough for them to feel happy! All of them, without exception or obligation want to pay. It's great practice and I don't feel like I'm giving anything away.

What I got from reading the threads here is how important it is to be clear from the outset. I have only been doing this for a few weeks, and although accepting money from my close friends feels completely unnatural, it's balanced out by the fact that this isn't a hobby, it's a business and I have paid lots of money to get trained as I'm sure you have!

Good luck x
I think I'm going to take your approach and start as I mean to go on x

Latest posts

Back